Windows Mail

bbmorgan

I am at a loss to understand why Windows Mail is popping up suddenly, each
time I turn on my laptop. The question is "do I want to compact my
messages?" I don't use Windows Mail; I use Outlook express. Can I turn off
this option, uninstall the program, or what??

Dave N9

If you use Vista, you have Windows Mail, not Outlook Express.
OE won't run on Vista.

Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
http://download.live.com/wlmail
"bbmorgan" wrote in message

I am at a loss to understand why Windows Mail is popping up suddenly, each
time I turn on my laptop. The question is "do I want to compact my
messages?" I don't use Windows Mail; I use Outlook express. Can I turn off
this option, uninstall the program, or what??

Ken Blake, MVP

I am at a loss to understand why Windows Mail is popping up suddenly, each
time I turn on my laptop. The question is "do I want to compact my
messages?" I don't use Windows Mail; I use Outlook express.

You're posting in a Window Vista newsgroup, so presumably you are
using Windows Vista, not Windows XP. If you are using Windows Vista, I
can't tell you what e-mail program you are using, but I can tell you
that it's not Outlook Express. Outlook Express runs under XP but
doesn't run under Vista.

Steve Cochran

You need to click "Yes" to compact the database. It sounds as if something else is active at startup that is accessing Windows Mail. You need to figure out what that is and prevent it. Windows Desktop Search is the major culprit of this, so if you have that installed, you have to disable indexing of Windows Mail, and then you should no longer get that prompt, except after every 100 closings.

steve