windows live onecare

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what they think about windows live onecare, i have it installed on my vista home basic & dont seem to have had any probs but my son say,s it is crap:mad: & as im not computer savvy i would like an outside opinion. Look forward 2 hearing from you.......:confused: :(
wallbash.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, that's the first I've heard of it to be honest, so I went and took a look.

If it does what it says it does I suppose it's ok but all the main things it does can be had for free.

Antivirus - Antivir.

Trojans and spyware - Super Anti spyware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Firewall - Vista's own and Kerio.

Windows will enable printer sharing over a Network anyway.

So, weighing up the odds, although it won't do your machine any harm your son's probably quite near the mark ;)

Just my initial opinion, maybe others here will chime in with some comments.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The initial consensus, even with the AV fraternity, is that WLOC is better complimented with a different AV program.

Out of the "top ten" AV programs tested, Windows LiveOneCare came in eighteenth. ;)

I'll concur with Floppy on some alternatives you can try ... :thumb:

user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Is that how crap it is..????
I would put it one point below Norton but one point above Mcrapie ... ;)

christine, don't feel too bad, we all learn something new everyday.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just by way of mentioning, I saw Kasperskys in Staples today for £20.00.

Not sure now whether it was just the AV software or the full proggie.

And although it didn't mention it anywhwere on the packaging, I would assume that's just for one year?

Is that a good deal?

I still haven't tried Kaspersky myself, even though it's free at barclays and I bank at barclays.

Although I did try Kasperskys a couple of years ago, as I recall, and it slowed my (XP) system down.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
It depends if you want the Internet Security 2009 or just the Anti-Virus.

Am currently using the Eset NOD32 free trial as i believe its been recommended lots on here and it doesn't use as much Memory as Kaspersky does.

You can get the AV on its own for Kaspersky for about £8.

Reaction score
security

Can i just say thank you 2 everyone that has replyed 2 my question, i have decided that WLOC is basically rubish so i am going 2 look 4 a better one. I have another question now lol, if i download a 30 day free trial & decide its not what i want do i still have 2 buy it.:)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Just by way of mentioning, I saw Kasperskys in Staples today for £20.00.

Not sure now whether it was just the AV software or the full proggie.

And although it didn't mention it anywhwere on the packaging, I would assume that's just for one year?

Is that a good deal?

I still haven't tried Kaspersky myself, even though it's free at barclays and I bank at barclays.

Although I did try Kasperskys a couple of years ago, as I recall, and it slowed my (XP) system down.

£13 for 3 users for the full suite here,

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Soft...+UK+Edition+OEM+3+User+1+Year?productId=32447

happywave.gif

Reaction score
christine178 said:
would that b norton 360

That'd be Norton 360 days before I can do anything when I start my computer..I used N 360 for a longish time , then came across this forum and read what these guys have to say..Went and bought mesen Kaspersky and I haven't looked back..It does the job and does it good..Shop around for good prices..OCUK have good deals..My lappy is like new lappy since installing K.I.S

Ask a Question