Windows Installer

G

H

I am trying to Install a setup.exe which requires .net frame work. Dot Net was installed and when we click on setup.ex
we are getting "The installer was interuppted before XXXX could be installed. You need to restart the installer an
try again."

What needs to be done to see that setup.exe runs & installs

Do let me know

Thanks
Sachde

B

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
Subject: Windows Installer
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:26:04 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server

H

I am trying to Install a setup.exe which requires .net frame work. Dot Net was installed and when we click on setup.ex

we are getting "The installer was interuppted before XXXX could be installed. You need to restart the installer an

try again."

What needs to be done to see that setup.exe runs & installs

Do let me know

Thanks

Sachde

--

Sachdev,

I have seen two causes for this type of error. The first one is something has happened to the Windows Installer engine.
Try using the following steps:

1) Log on to your computer as an administrator.
2) Click Start, and then click Run.
3) In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4) At the command prompt, type msiexec.exe /unregister, and then press ENTER.
5) Type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

The other issue I have seen cause this behavior is permissions. So, verify that the SYSTEM account has Full Control
access permissions to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive in the Windows registry. In some cases, you may also have to
add Administrator accounts. To do so:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your
operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor
incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Click Start, click Run, type regedt32, for Windows 2000, or regedit, for Windows XP, in the Open box, and then click OK.
Click the following registry hive: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
On the Security menu click Perminssions, for Windows 2000, or on the Edit menu click Permissions, for Windows XP.
If SYSTEM is not listed in the Group or user names list, click Add, make sure that the local computer name appears in
the From this location box, type system in the Enter the object names to select box, click Check Names, and then click OK.
Click SYSTEM in the Group or user names list, and then select the Full Control check box under Allow in the Permissions
for SYSTEM box.
Click Apply, click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

If the above does not resolve it you might want to use Regmon and Filemon, from http://www.sysinternals.com, to
determine if we are getting access denied on any other registry keys or folders.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Ask a Question