Windows Installer 3

Wendell Taylor

From: "Wendell Taylor" <[email protected]>

Subject: Windows Installer.

The below problem always happens on startup and very often when I am trying
to use my printer.

I am having continuing problems with (I guess) popups as follows:
WINDOWS INSTALLER
FAX - Please wait while Windows configures FAX.
(at other times it will say configures SCAN or
configures PHOTO GALLERY).
(Cancel).
I don't have a fax or photo gallery.
It doesn't matter how many times I Cancel, it just keeps popping up and it
may stop after I have gone to bed.

I have sent this problem to Microsoft Public Newsgroups but have not been
able to find the site since to look for a reply.

I finally uninstalled and reinstalled my Hewlett Packard PSC 1315 and it
seemed to have done the job and stopped those popups. Now, today on a
restart, the damned things are back. They are powerful enough that they tend
to overide anything else you are trying to do and I finally had to do a
Reset, and even then, they keep coming back up. This has been going on for a
month and I have no idea what may have started it.

I am running Micrsoft XP Sp2 with everything up to date.
Any help out there ?

Phil Smith

Yes, you DO have a fax. That would be your printer. The photo gallery
is part of the scannign suite for your all in one printer. My
suggestions, in the order I would do them.

1) Unplug your printer from your computer. Go into Printers and Faxes
and delete all references to this printer. Hopefully you will get a
question about removing a driver which is no longer needed, If you do,
go aheaad and remove it.

2) Control Panel, Add remove programs, and remove all references to
this HP printer, and HP software concerning faxes, photo gallery,
scanning, and anything else related to this printer.

3) Reboot.

4) Go to update.microsoft.com, and install SP3. Reboot if it does not
force you to anyway as part of the install.

5) Go to this address:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&dlc=en&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&lang=en&cc=us

From here choose your operating system, to download the latest software
for your printer.

6) Install the software you downloaded. Instructions should be
available, look for a readme file, or in worst case, setup.exe. After
you have installed the software, reboot one last time.

7) After windows comes up, plug your printer back in to your system, and
let the add new hardware wzard do it's thing.

The reboots may seem excessive, but this has worked for me in the past.
For some reason, your hardware is not getting totally installed, so
the first step is to update everything, and try again.

God Luck

Exeter

Thanks Phil and God Luck to you too - heehee !
Seriously, I will do all that you have suggested and will let you know of
the results except, why do I have to install SP3 ? I have been refusing this
download (update) ever since it came out after disussion with friends and
reading comments on these sites. The little reminder still pops up
continually which I just delete.

Is there any reason to download this? - if I don't will it affect what I am
going to do according to your posting?
I wondered if there was a fax and photo gallery in there someplace and have
looked all over for it with no luck. Maybe this time with your advice.

Wendell Taylor.