Windows Forms SOAP Server

Hello.
I have been trying to access a local 3rd party application through a web
service, but it seems that IIS has no access to the "user space" that the
application runs in - even though I have experimented with impersonation, the
IIS rights on my filesystem and so on. The idea now is to make a windows
form application that can access the 3rd party application and is a SOAP
server, i.e. the application is a web server that runs as a "normal" program.
I already have developed the form application that can access all data I
want from the 3rd party app.
The problem is that I want to estimate how long this takes, and since I
suspect that there is a class in the .NET environment that simplifies this
problem, I want to check if any of you guys have any ideas on where to look...

hoping that someone has a brilliant solution to my problem
________________________
Gunnar Gudmundsson

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gunnar,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
From your description, you have a certain client which use webservice (soap
message) calls to the remote server to retrieve some info from a 3rd party
application. However, since the ASP.NET webservice (IIS host) is hard to
communicate with that 3rd party app, you 're going to create a custom
winform app to do the data retrieving work. And since you don't want to
break the original webservice communication between client and server,
you're wondering the best means to host a custom webservice(SOAP) server in
your server winform app, yes?

If so, based on my experience, I think the SoapService class in the
Microsoft Webservice Enhancement is the one you're looking for. The
SoapService class in WSE can help create a custom webservice server which
accept webservice request and send response. Also, it can be hosted in any
managed application not rely on IIS.

#How to: Send and Receive a SOAP Message By Using the SoapClient and
SoapService Classes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wse/html/17123a8b-fd0e-4369-a5b6-732
4d62ac48e.asp?frame=true

The currently stable version of WSE is V2.0 SP3, if you're not familiar
with it, you can go to the following msdn site for a general view:

#Web Services Enhancements (WSE)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/wse/default.aspx

Hope these help. If there're any further question or anything else we can
help, please feel free to post here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?T2Z1ckfDuHJu?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Windows Forms SOAP Server
| Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:07:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms
|
| Hello.
| I have been trying to access a local 3rd party application through a
web
| service, but it seems that IIS has no access to the "user space" that the
| application runs in - even though I have experimented with impersonation,
the
| IIS rights on my filesystem and so on. The idea now is to make a windows
| form application that can access the 3rd party application and is a SOAP
| server, i.e. the application is a web server that runs as a "normal"
program.
| I already have developed the form application that can access all data I
| want from the 3rd party app.
| The problem is that I want to estimate how long this takes, and since
| suspect that there is a class in the .NET environment that simplifies
this
| problem, I want to check if any of you guys have any ideas on where to
look...

| hoping that someone has a brilliant solution to my problem
| ________________________
| Gunnar Gudmundsson

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gunnar,

How are you doing on this issue and have you got any further progress on
this. Is the suggestions in my last reply somewhat helps. If there're
> [...]

the
| | application runs in - even though I have experimented with
impersonation,
| the
| | IIS rights on my filesystem and so on. The idea now is to make a
windows
| | form application that can access the 3rd party application and is a
SOAP
| | server, i.e. the application is a web server that runs as a "normal"
| program.
| | I already have developed the form application that can access all data
| | want from the 3rd party app.
| | The problem is that I want to estimate how long this takes, and
since
| | suspect that there is a class in the .NET environment that simplifies
| this
| | problem, I want to check if any of you guys have any ideas on where to
| |
| | hoping that someone has a brilliant solution to my problem
| | ________________________
| | Gunnar Gudmundsson
| |

Hi Steven.

Sorry I forgot to report the status.... You suggestion works perfectly. It
proved to be a HUGE help in my development.

________________________
Gunnar Gudmundsson

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

the
| | application runs in - even though I have experimented with
impersonation,
| the
| | IIS rights on my filesystem and so on. The idea now is to make a
windows
| | form application that can access the 3rd party application and is a
SOAP
| | server, i.e. the application is a web server that runs as a "normal"
| program.
| | I already have developed the form application that can access all data
| | want from the 3rd party app.
| | The problem is that I want to estimate how long this takes, and
since
| | suspect that there is a class in the .NET environment that simplifies
| this
| | problem, I want to check if any of you guys have any ideas on where to
| |
| | hoping that someone has a brilliant solution to my problem
| | ________________________
| | Gunnar Gudmundsson
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks Gunnar,

Really glad that they're of assistance.

Cheers,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?T2Z1ckfDuHJu?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Windows Forms SOAP Server
| Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 02:44:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms
|
| Hi Steven.
|
| Sorry I forgot to report the status.... You suggestion works perfectly.
It
| proved to be a HUGE help in my development.
|
| ________________________
| Gunnar Gudmundsson
|

| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Gunnar,
| >
| > How are you doing on this issue and have you got any further progress
on
| > this. Is the suggestions in my last reply somewhat helps. If there're
| > anything else we can help, please feel free to post here.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:54:36 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Windows Forms SOAP Server
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms
| > | From your description, you have a certain client which use webservice
| > (soap
| > | message) calls to the remote server to retrieve some info from a 3rd
| > party
| > | application. However, since the ASP.NET webservice (IIS host) is hard
| > | communicate with that 3rd party app, you 're going to create a
custom
| > | winform app to do the data retrieving work. And since you don't want
| > | break the original webservice communication between client and
server,
| > | you're wondering the best means to host a custom webservice(SOAP)
server
| > in
| > | your server winform app, yes?
| > |
| > | If so, based on my experience, I think the SoapService class in the
| > | Microsoft Webservice Enhancement is the one you're looking for. The
| > | SoapService class in WSE can help create a custom webservice server
which
| > | accept webservice request and send response. Also, it can be hosted
in
| > any
| > | managed application not rely on IIS.
| > |
| > | #How to: Send and Receive a SOAP Message By Using the SoapClient and
| > | SoapService Classes
| > |

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wse/html/17123a8b-fd0e-4369-a5b6-732
| > | 4d62ac48e.asp?frame=true
| > |
| > | The currently stable version of WSE is V2.0 SP3, if you're not
familiar
| > | with it, you can go to the following msdn site for a general view:
| > |
| > | #Web Services Enhancements (WSE)
| > | http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/wse/default.aspx
| > |
| > | Hope these help. If there're any further question or anything else we
can
| > | help, please feel free to post here.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > |