Windows File Protection won't hold

G

When I run System File Protection from the DOS prompt

C:\SFC /SCANNOW now, right away I get the message "Files required have been replaced by unrecognized versions..... I put in my Windows XP CD and then File Protection runs to completion. I take out the CD and then run File Protection again and it completes OK without requesting the CD.

HOWEVER, if I restart or after shutdown boot up and then go to DOS prompt and run, I get the message again and am asked to insert the CD. What this tells me I think is that something overrides in startup or something. I run McAfee Virus Protection and Firewall and keep current as well as check for Windows updates and am current. So what is happening?

R

Rocket J. Squirrel

Are you familiar with spyware?

Ad-aware 6 by Lavasoft
www.lavasoftusa.com

Rocky

fodorothy said:
When I run System File Protection from the DOS prompt

C:\SFC /SCANNOW now, right away I get the message "Files required have
been replaced by unrecognized versions..... I put in my Windows XP CD and
then File Protection runs to completion. I take out the CD and then run
File Protection again and it completes OK without requesting the CD.
HOWEVER, if I restart or after shutdown boot up and then go to DOS prompt
and run, I get the message again and am asked to insert the CD. What this
tells me I think is that something overrides in startup or something. I run
McAfee Virus Protection and Firewall and keep current as well as check for
Windows updates and am current. So what is happening?

G

I currently am using McAfee AntiSpyware, primarily because I also have McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall. Version is up-to-date and nothing was found in processes
(27), files (23,414), and registry keys (3, 671).

So how come I can't make file protection stay? I have tried turning off system restore and clearing page file at start up, change from no to yes. Reboot and then run SFC (and of course needs CD) and then running it again, and it runs to end and does not ask for CD. Then I go to registry and change back page file to no and turn back on system restore and do a restore point. But when I reboot and run file protect get message again about unrecognized versions and to insert CD.

So, bottom line, each time I shutdown or restart something changes. What?

Ask a Question