Windows 8.1 File Manager always opens to "This PC"?

John Doe

I tried taking a file manager shortcut from a prior installation
(probably worked in Windows 8.0). Put it on the desktop. Pinned it
to Start. From Start, pinned it to Taskbar. And thought I was
getting away with something. But... That shortcut puts another
icon on the taskbar whenever it's open. I've seen only one other
program do that.

Thing is, I want a file manager shortcut opening to drive D. And I
don't want to temporarily reproduce a taskbar icon whenever it's
open, it should work like the other taskbar icons. Or, in Windows
8.1, are we stuck with a file manager shortcut opening only to
"This PC"?

Thanks.

Neil Gould

John said:
I tried taking a file manager shortcut from a prior installation
(probably worked in Windows 8.0). Put it on the desktop. Pinned it
to Start. From Start, pinned it to Taskbar. And thought I was
getting away with something. But... That shortcut puts another
icon on the taskbar whenever it's open. I've seen only one other
program do that.

Thing is, I want a file manager shortcut opening to drive D. And I
don't want to temporarily reproduce a taskbar icon whenever it's
open, it should work like the other taskbar icons. Or, in Windows
8.1, are we stuck with a file manager shortcut opening only to
"This PC"?
I haven't thorougly tested this to verify all of the parameters you're
seeking, but ISTR that the file manager opens to the last place visited when
it's just minimized to the task bar instead of closed. For example, if your
last use was D:, and you minimize the app, it will show that location when
you re-open it. It reverts to "this PC" when it's closed, and I don't know
if the minimized state survives a restart, but OTOH, I can't imagine why one
would be concerned about that.

dadiOH

Thing is, I want a file manager shortcut opening to drive D. And I
don't want to temporarily reproduce a taskbar icon whenever it's
open, it should work like the other taskbar icons. Or, in Windows
8.1, are we stuck with a file manager shortcut opening only to
"This PC"?

I don't know about Win8.1 but doubt it varies from Win8 in this respect and
in Win8 one can easily make a shortcut to a drive - or anything else - by
selecting it in Windows Explorer and dragging it to the desk top. Put it
elsewhere if you wish, it will always open the target of the shortcut.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

John Doe

Ralph Fox said:
John Doe wrote:

It is working for me in Win 8.1

1) Copy the file C:\Windows\explorer.exe
and "paste as shortcut" onto the desktop.

This creates a new file manager shortcut with an editable
"Target" field.

2) Change the shortcut's "Target" field
- from: C:\Windows\explorer.exe - to:
C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,D:\

Now the new file manager shortcut always opens to drive D.

That looked good, but as explained in the first part of my
original message (re-included above)... Now try putting it on the
taskbar.

If you can get it on the taskbar, look to see whether it shows
another copy of the icon when you open the thing. That's not the
way it worked before.

Keith Nuttle

That looked good, but as explained in the first part of my
original message (re-included above)... Now try putting it on the
taskbar.

If you can get it on the taskbar, look to see whether it shows
another copy of the icon when you open the thing. That's not the
way it worked before.
Based on the information in this thread I did what I have been trying to
do since I was forced into Windows 8, (now currently updated 8.1.)

I liked the jumplists and use them a lot. However I could never get the
jumplist to show the main Documents folder. I created a short cut to
Documents on the desk top, and then dragged it to the toolbar. Windows
8.1 pinned the short cut to the jumplist.

Now the main Document folder is accessible from the jumplist the same as
other frequently used folders.

PS: I don't know if the Jumplist was new to Windows 8 or existed in
Windows 7, but it is one of the best features in the operating system
as it allows quick access to the files and folders that I am using in my
current project. When the Project is complete, I can clear the
Jumplists and start on my next project/

dadiOH

John Doe said:
Ralph Fox <-rf-nz- -.invalid> wrote:
That looked good, but as explained in the first part of my
original message (re-included above)... Now try putting it on the
taskbar.

If you can get it on the taskbar, look to see whether it shows
another copy of the icon when you open the thing. That's not the
way it worked before.

Put the shortcut into a folder

Make a new toolbar on the taskbar pointing to the folder above.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

John Doe

The second idiotic post from this troll...

From: "dadiOH" <dadiOH invalid.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Subject: Re: Windows 8.1 File Manager always opens to "This PC"?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:17:35 -0400

Keith Nuttle said:
Based on the information in this thread I did what I have been
trying to do since I was forced into Windows 8, (now currently
updated 8.1.)

I liked the jumplists and use them a lot. However I could never
get the jumplist to show the main Documents folder. I created a
short cut to Documents on the desk top, and then dragged it to
the toolbar. Windows 8.1 pinned the short cut to the jumplist.

Now the main Document folder is accessible from the jumplist the
same as other frequently used folders.

Not exactly. It's accessible from the taskbar, but unlike all the
other taskbar buttons, when you click on it, it produces an image
of itself on the far right of the taskbar icons listed. And you
must use that new temporary icon instead of the known icon for
manipulating that file manager window.

I believe it work correctly in Windows 8.0. In Windows 8.1, it
doesn't work. The only other program displaying that behavior on
my system (when I was in Windows 8.0) was Komodo Edit.

...winston

John Doe wrote, On 6/14/2014 10:12 PM:
I tried taking a file manager shortcut from a prior installation
(probably worked in Windows 8.0). Put it on the desktop. Pinned it
to Start. From Start, pinned it to Taskbar. And thought I was
getting away with something. But... That shortcut puts another
icon on the taskbar whenever it's open. I've seen only one other
program do that.

Thing is, I want a file manager shortcut opening to drive D. And I
don't want to temporarily reproduce a taskbar icon whenever it's
open, it should work like the other taskbar icons. Or, in Windows
8.1, are we stuck with a file manager shortcut opening only to
"This PC"?

Thanks.
Drag the D: drive in a Windows Explorer window to the TaskBar, accept
the prompt to pin it to Explorer on the Taskbar. The pinned item will be
a Jump List item. Rt. Click the Explorer icon and select the D: drive in
the Jump list.

John Doe

Toni said:
OK, I'm using windows 7 and tried to drag drive shortcut to taskbar and
system doesn't allow. Only thing I can do with desktop shortcut is to put
it on start menu or on windows explorer jump list.

"John Doe" escreveu na mensagem
I said "Taskbar" four times in my short original post.

Windows 7/Windows 8 ain't same as XP. Bloody thing just does not
work as I want it.

John Doe

I don't want a shortcut in the jump list, I want the shortcut/icon
on the Taskbar. And when I click on the Taskbar icon, I don't want
a duplicate icon placed on the right-hand side of all the Taskbar
icons. What I'm trying to do works just fine in prior versions of
Windows. It works in 64-bit Windows 8.0. It works in 32-bit
Windows 7. It works for every other shortcut except Windows file
manager and Komodo Edit.

The only intelligent replies thus far give the typical method for
making it work properly, but it doesn't work properly in Windows
8.1. The rest of you guys could learn from the adage about keeping
your mouth shut when you don't know what you're talking about. And
some of you act clueless.

John Doe

Nym-shifting psychopath troll...

From: "John Doe" <always.look message.header>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:18:16 -0700

Windows 7/Windows 8 ain't same as XP. Bloody thing just does not
work as I want it.

John Doe

This nym-shifting psychopath is an example of why there is so much
drivel posted to USENET, half the time nobody even knows who they
are talking to...

Paul

John said:
I just tried. It works correctly in 32-bit Windows 7.

Persistent moron...

Don't be so judgmental when people are trying to help you.
Not every idea in a thread is a gem. Ignore the
answers you don't like.

Paul

Paul

John said:
I don't want a shortcut in the jump list, I want the shortcut/icon
on the Taskbar. And when I click on the Taskbar icon, I don't want
a duplicate icon placed on the right-hand side of all the Taskbar
icons. What I'm trying to do works just fine in prior versions of
Windows. It works in 64-bit Windows 8.0. It works in 32-bit
Windows 7. It works for every other shortcut except Windows file
manager and Komodo Edit.

The only intelligent replies thus far give the typical method for
making it work properly, but it doesn't work properly in Windows
8.1. The rest of you guys could learn from the adage about keeping
your mouth shut when you don't know what you're talking about. And
some of you act clueless.

Do you know what kind of item is created by the
operation you're doing ? Is it actually a shortcut file ?

If it was a shortcut, you could examine the properties
of the shortcut, and see if an explicit command to
open D: is being used. Perhaps that is getting stripped
off for some reason. And a hand-edit will fix it.

Paul

...winston

John Doe wrote, On 6/15/2014 3:18 PM:
I don't want a shortcut in the jump list, I want the shortcut/icon
on the Taskbar. And when I click on the Taskbar icon, I don't want
a duplicate icon placed on the right-hand side of all the Taskbar
icons. What I'm trying to do works just fine in prior versions of
Windows. It works in 64-bit Windows 8.0. It works in 32-bit
Windows 7. It works for every other shortcut except Windows file
manager and Komodo Edit.

The only intelligent replies thus far give the typical method for
making it work properly, but it doesn't work properly in Windows
8.1. The rest of you guys could learn from the adage about keeping
your mouth shut when you don't know what you're talking about. And
some of you act clueless.

You might have to live with it or remain clueless.

Two rules:
•Only applications can be pinned to the task bar.
•Files can be pinned to applications

...winston

John Doe wrote, On 6/15/2014 3:20 PM:
I just tried. It works correctly in 32-bit Windows 7.

Persistent moron...

Doesn't work here. A drive shorcut is pinned to Explorer on the Taskbar
in Win7 32 and 64 bit.

Optionally, one could enable the Quick Launch Toolbar on the Taskbar
which will hold clickable shortcuts.