Windows 7 re : in-house upgrade or custom install

t-4-2

Found this from the web.
Might be something of interest to people planning to get Win7.
P.S. The term " In-house " has a new definition.
I do have a question : Would someone explain/elaborate the following
sentence ?
In-place upgrade allows end-user to move to Windows 7 and keep existing
files, settings and programs intact from current version of Windows.
Does " existing programs " include WM ?
t-4-2

t-4-2

I did it again, forgot the link. Sorry.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...-official-upgrade-paths-chart-reference/t-4-2"t-4-2" <[email protected]> wrote in messageFound this from the web.> Might be something of interest to people planning to get Win7.> P.S. The term " In-house " has a new definition.> I do have a question : Would someone explain/elaborate the followingsentence ?> In-place upgrade allows end-user to move to Windows 7 and keep existingfiles, settings and programs intact from current version of Windows.> Does " existing programs " include WM ?> t-4-2

Steve Cochran

No, because WinMail in Win7 is not a user-friendly application. The
registry settings and message store remain intact.

steve

t-4-2 said:
Found this from the web.
Might be something of interest to people planning to get Win7.
P.S. The term " In-house " has a new definition.
I do have a question : Would someone explain/elaborate the following
sentence ?
In-place upgrade allows end-user to move to Windows 7 and keep existing
files, settings and programs intact from current version of Windows.
Does " existing programs " include WM ?
t-4-2
why can i not download windows7 in vista hp laptop???

Gary VanderMolen

Windows Mail won't work in Windows 7, unless a special hack is used.
See my response in the thread "Windows 7 email program?".
I don't recommend it for the average user.

Sam Hobbs

I notice that Windows 7 has a "Windows XP Mode" that I assume you are
familiar with. Could OE be used in it? I don't intend to do that so it does
not matter to me.

Windows Mail won't work in Windows 7, unless a special hack is used.
See my response in the thread "Windows 7 email program?".
I don't recommend it for the average user.

t-4-2

Assuming you were replying to me.
Was that a question or was that a remark ?
What mail ? I was talking about Windows 7, a new operating system.
Microsoft Operating systems = Widows XP, Windows Vista, and now Windows 7.
Microsoft Mail programs = Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and now Windows
Live Mail.

t-4-2

t-4-2

Désolé, que je ne sais pas suffisamment français pour ce faire.
Vous devrez utiliser l'anglais, je le crains.

t-4-2.

Steve Cochran

One can also use Microsoft VPC 2007 and install XP as a virtual machine
within it to use OE and that doesn't require a special version of Win7 or
special hardware.

steve

Sam Hobbs

Legally speaking, that requires a license for XP (correct?). Windows 7 with
the XP Mode includes an additional license for XP.

That's why Microsoft is so profitable. They made Windows less secure in the
past so then they make us pay for a more secure system, but they also make
us pay for the less secure one. Well, I suppose that is not true; I assume
there is other stuff in the Professional and Ultimate versions worth paying
for.

Gary VanderMolen

As Sam indicated, VPC2007 still requires a spare license for a retail
copy of Windows XP, something most folks don't have lying around.

Steve Cochran

Most users have old computers that they are dumping, so they would already
have a license from them. The trick is do they have the XP install CD?

steve

Steve Cochran

Most users are dumping old PCs they have had for years, and they can
transfer the license from those old machines with the product keys on them
that are no longer being used. They still need the XP install CD however.

steve

As Sam indicated, VPC2007 still requires a spare license for a retail
copy of Windows XP, something most folks don't have lying around.

Gary VanderMolen

Yes, but most likely that license is an OEM one, tied to specific hardware.
Only a retail boxed copy of XP can be transferred to another machine.