Windows 7 NG?

(PeteCresswell)

I'm looking, but cannot find an NG for Windows 7.

Gotta be one, right?

But where?

Peter Taylor

I'm looking, but cannot find an NG for Windows 7.

Gotta be one, right?

But where?

alt.windows7.general

Microsoft is discontinuing all their newsgroups in favor of web forums.

Bruce Hagen

(PeteCresswell) said:
I'm looking, but cannot find an NG for Windows 7.

Gotta be one, right?

But where?

alt.windows7.general

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Newsgroups removed as of June 1, 2010
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2010/06/05/closin-the-nntp.aspx

You can still access the groups on some non-MS servers such as Eternal
September, but how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is
unknown.

Eternal September
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

The replacement forums.

Microsoft Answers - First Time Users
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Bruce Hagen

A better bridge is Community forums bridge:

+1.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

He might like to install the MS / Connect NNTP bridges for the Forums,
and Answers.
I did, so that I can continue to use OE6, and whilst the quality of most
of the questions is, as usual, awful,
there are answers to be found in there !

regards, Richard

RJK

A better bridge is Community forums bridge:

+1.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

I "glanced" at the "Community Forums" web site, before fighting with the
Connect nntp bridges, (perhanced I should have glance harder and longer !),
and thought it looked even more complicated than the "Connect" ones, ... who
failed to mention anywhere, (well, I couldn't see it anywhere), that I had
to make a News account in OE with local machine 127.0.0.1 server address, or
it wouldn't work, ...then I noticed that it wouldn't work because the
Answers Forum needed changing to port 120
....and of course, had to wade through all that MS "Live" stuff as well :-(

regards, Richard

SC Tom

RJK said:
A better bridge is Community forums bridge:

+1.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

I "glanced" at the "Community Forums" web site, before fighting with the
Connect nntp bridges, (perhanced I should have glance harder and longer
!), and thought it looked even more complicated than the "Connect" ones,
... who failed to mention anywhere, (well, I couldn't see it anywhere),
that I had to make a News account in OE with local machine 127.0.0.1
server address, or it wouldn't work, ...then I noticed that it wouldn't
work because the Answers Forum needed changing to port 120
...and of course, had to wade through all that MS "Live" stuff as well :-(

regards, Richard
The Community forums bridge uses port 119 for all of the forums, Answers,
TechNet, etc. (2,284 forums in various languages). I much prefer using it to
access all of them than use the separate bridges.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Peter Taylor:
Microsoft is discontinuing all their newsgroups in favor of web forums.

Are these the same guys that designed the Windows 7 UI?.... -)

(PeteCresswell)

Per Alias:
No, the people who did this are in the control freak department.

But I bet both departments are under the Gratuitous Changes With
No Added Functionality But Much Added Inconvenience division....

I'm no technophobe and I'd say that Windows 7 has gotten to a
degree of arcane-ness that's approaching Linux.

If somebody has XP down cold, they should not have to spend time
trying to figure how to perform functions that they have
programmed into their lower brain stem along with how to tie
one's shoelaces.

Seems like when MS is crafting a new OS/UI, there should be a
committee or something that developers have to go before to
justify any deviation from the prior OS' UI.

Alias

Per Alias:

But I bet both departments are under the Gratuitous Changes With
No Added Functionality But Much Added Inconvenience division....

I'm no technophobe and I'd say that Windows 7 has gotten to a
degree of arcane-ness that's approaching Linux.

If somebody has XP down cold, they should not have to spend time
trying to figure how to perform functions that they have
programmed into their lower brain stem along with how to tie
one's shoelaces.

Seems like when MS is crafting a new OS/UI, there should be a
committee or something that developers have to go before to
justify any deviation from the prior OS' UI.

I don't find Win 7 to be all that much different than XP. New eye candy
and some changes as to where things are but basically same old same old
Windows. The "aero" seems like a poor imitation of Compiz, though :)

ctowers

(PeteCresswell) said:
If somebody has XP down cold, they should not have to spend time
trying to figure how to perform functions that they have
programmed into their lower brain stem along with how to tie
one's shoelaces.

Seems like when MS is crafting a new OS/UI, there should be a
committee or something that developers have to go before to
justify any deviation from the prior OS' UI.

+1

(PeteCresswell)

Per Alias:
I don't find Win 7 to be all that much different than XP. New eye candy
and some changes as to where things are but basically same old same old
Windows. The "aero" seems like a poor imitation of Compiz, though :)

You didn't have any problem with the Control Panel and having to
drill down through all those arbitrary categories before finding
something that used tb right there on the screen?

I finally found the "Small Icons".. or whatever they call it...
option. But until then.... geeze!

And even then, I'd like to hear their rationale for changing
"Add/Remove Programs" to "Programs and Features"..... Smacks of
techweenies to me.

I *still* haven't figured out how to do all of what I used to do
with a FolderWindow | Tools | Folder Options | View | Apply to
All Folders.

And if "Aero" means those pop-up thumbnails from TaskBar
MousOvers... that made me crazy until I found TaskBarTweaker.
It's also quite confusing to a new user.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby......

Alias

Per Alias:

You didn't have any problem with the Control Panel and having to
drill down through all those arbitrary categories before finding
something that used tb right there on the screen?

I finally found the "Small Icons".. or whatever they call it...
option. But until then.... geeze!

XP has the same problem and the solution is similar.
And even then, I'd like to hear their rationale for changing
"Add/Remove Programs" to "Programs and Features"..... Smacks of
techweenies to me.
Agreed.

I *still* haven't figured out how to do all of what I used to do
with a FolderWindow | Tools | Folder Options | View | Apply to
All Folders.

Nor have I :)
And if "Aero" means those pop-up thumbnails from TaskBar
MousOvers... that made me crazy until I found TaskBarTweaker.
It's also quite confusing to a new user.

I like that feature but I've been using it in Linux for years.
Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby......

Then cheer up. You're still alive ...

(PeteCresswell)

Per Alias:
XP has the same problem and the solution is similar.

That has not been my experience in, maybe, 20-30 XP installs.

I have forgotten what Control Panel's view defaults to
(Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List, or Details.... probably one of
the icon-ish views) - but they are all the same in that they are
granular: i.e. there is no higher level that the user has to
drill down through... just a plain alphabetical presentation.

If 7's default were Icons, it would save a lot of "WTF?!!!"s by
XP migrants.

Stuff like this might sound nit-picking - and I would agree that
complaining about any single instance of UI change probably is
just that.

But when you add up dozens and dozens of little differences added
for no apparent reason other than to be cool or to differentiate
the product, you get quite a significant hit on usability for a
person coming from the previous UI.

Multiply that hit by 12,000-13,000 people working in a big
building and that's some serious time and money - for what?
Nothing, IMHO.

Alias

Per Alias:

That has not been my experience in, maybe, 20-30 XP installs.

It has categories by default. You probably change it out of habit
without thinking. I'm not in XP to check at the moment to check so I
could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time ;-)
[...]

I agree but what are you gonna do? I use Linux most of the time.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Alias:
I agree but what are you gonna do? I use Linux most of the time.

I dabbled in Linux for a few months trying to get a freebie
Tivo-On-Steroids app whose name I've forgotten (the bad memories
fade....) working reliably.

Since then, I've tended to diss Linux - more, I think, bco the
nightmare of trying to get that app to work than anything else.

Now, having built a few Windows systems for technophobes who only
want to browse web pages and do email, I'm coming around to the
suspicion that somebody who really knows that they are doing
Linux-wise (that's NOT me....) could set up a box for said
technophobes that would be just as reliable as a Windows box,
significantly easier on the user and, of course, cheaper.

Peter

Per Alias:

I dabbled in Linux for a few months trying to get a freebie
Tivo-On-Steroids app whose name I've forgotten (the bad memories
fade....) working reliably.

Since then, I've tended to diss Linux - more, I think, bco the
nightmare of trying to get that app to work than anything else.

Now, having built a few Windows systems for technophobes who only
want to browse web pages and do email, I'm coming around to the
suspicion that somebody who really knows that they are doing
Linux-wise (that's NOT me....) could set up a box for said
technophobes that would be just as reliable as a Windows box,
significantly easier on the user and, of course, cheaper.

Not to mention no malware problems.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Peter:
Not to mention no malware problems.

I hadn't thought about that.

That's a significant consideration too.

Even though I can set up a box with a freebie anti virus like
Avast, the time will come when the freebie license expires and
the user is confronted with a renewal dialog.

In fact, I had one box totally hosed when the user chose "Ignore"
on one of Avast's virus warning screens.

Peter

Per Peter:

I hadn't thought about that.

That's a significant consideration too.

Even though I can set up a box with a freebie anti virus like
Avast, the time will come when the freebie license expires and
the user is confronted with a renewal dialog.

In fact, I had one box totally hosed when the user chose "Ignore"
on one of Avast's virus warning screens.

Avast doesn't do that anymore. One time registration is enough. That
said, viruses aren't the only malware out there.

Do Dah Zippity

: Avast doesn't do that anymore. One time registration is enough. That
: said, viruses aren't the only malware out there.

Avast Free still requires annual renewal.