Windows 2000 unsuable after KB 824146 (MS03-39)

Thérèse Hanquet

In the recent past, I posted several messages here and in the WindowsUpdate
NG about problems with critical update 823980 ("blaster patch").

Those were never solved despite a MS support tech spent a lot of time having
me try all possible solutions. I had to uninstall the patch.

I just installed the new critical update KB824146, and after restarting, the
same syptoms appear:
- no taskbar
- no start menu
- no desktop icons
- when launching explorer.exe from task manager, it gets "killed" while
- no process can be terminated from task manager
- a previously hidden window may appear: title "NetDDE Agent" (seems to be
Winlogon window).

My configuration seems very common - no exotic hardware or applications.

I paste here the succession of events after installation:

System log:

"Event Type: Information
Event Source: Automatic Updates
Event Category: Installation
Event ID: 19
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:40:53
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following
update.
- Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB824146)

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Automatic Updates
Event Category: Installation
Event ID: 21
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:40:53
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the
computer must be restarted. Until this computer has been restarted, Windows
cannot search for or download new updates.
- Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB824146)

Event Type: Information
Event Source: EventLog
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6006
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:41:16
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
The Event log service was stopped.
Data:
0000: ff 00 00 00 ÿ...

Event Type: Information
Event Source: EventLog
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6009
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:41:58
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
Microsoft (R) Windows 2000 (R) 5.0 2195 Service Pack 4 Uniprocessor Free.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: EventLog
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6005
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:41:58
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
The Event log service was started."

Application log:

"Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: Event Service
Event ID: 4097
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:42:04
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing. HRESULT was 8000FFFF from line 137 of .\service.cpp. Please
contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error."

Sytem log:

"Event Type: Error
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 102
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:42:51
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
Unable to register COM class objects.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 98
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:42:51
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
RSM was stopped.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7022
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:44:47
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
The COM+ Event System service hung on starting.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7001
Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:44:47
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
The System Event Notification service depends on the COM+ Event System
service which failed to start because of the following error:
After starting, the service hung in a start-pending state."

Can someone help? What should I do?

Thérèse

S..

Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:41:16
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
The Event log service was stopped.
Data:
0000: ff 00 00 00 ÿ...

Event Type: Information
Event Source: EventLog
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6009

Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:41:58

Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:42:51

Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:42:51

Date: 11/09/2003
Time: 13:44:47
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
The System Event Notification service depends on the COM+ Event System
service which failed to start because of the following error:
After starting, the service hung in a start-pending state."

Can someone help? What should I do?

Thérèse

I would not worry too much about the Event type:
Information as they are only information messages. The
event type: error all refer to Com+ problems. You can
research the event id number here for possible solutions:

http://www.eventid.net/search.asp

I just installed also KB824146 with no problems what so
ever.

S.

Thérèse Hanquet

Thanks for the idea. I will probably try it, although I have not had any
problem with SP4 until now... If it works I will let you know.

Thérèse

Fine place for references. I did not find an exact match to the event in
question but added a comment for the most similar one.

Thérèse

I would not worry too much about the Event type:
Information as they are only information messages. The
event type: error all refer to Com+ problems. You can
research the event id number here for possible solutions:

http://www.eventid.net/search.asp

I just installed also KB824146 with no problems what so
ever.

S.

Thérèse Hanquet

Thanks Joe and Ricardo.

I tried what you suggested - uninstall KB824146, uninstall SP4, reinstall
KB824146. Unfortunately this did not change anything. Same symptoms, same
error messages, and in particular the "central" one in the Application log:

Date: 13/09/2003
Time: 10:02:38
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing. HRESULT was 8000FFFF from line 137 of .\service.cpp. Please
contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

How do I do to report "officially" this error? This is getting very annoying
because I fear I won't be able to apply patches any more, neither SP5, as
long as this problem will not be solved.

Thanks anyway for your time.

Thérèse

user

In the recent past, I posted several messages here and in the WindowsUpdate
NG about problems with critical update 823980 ("blaster patch").

Those were never solved despite a MS support tech spent a lot of time having
me try all possible solutions. I had to uninstall the patch.

I just installed the new critical update KB824146, and after restarting, the
same syptoms appear:
- no taskbar
- no start menu
- no desktop icons
- when launching explorer.exe from task manager, it gets "killed" while
- no process can be terminated from task manager
- a previously hidden window may appear: title "NetDDE Agent" (seems to be
Winlogon window).

My configuration seems very common - no exotic hardware or applications.
<snip>

Rings a bell (be it in a slightly different tone)!

I was dumb enough to install different hot fixes non-consecutive after a
putting back an image two days ago. I installed KB823980, then KB819696, and
then KB824146 and KB824105. This made my system (2K Pro SP4) start up/shut
down VERY slow and made at least two services (Computer Browser & NT LM
Security Support Provider) disappear altogether from my Services.msc.
My service IPSEC Policy Agent would not start anymore (the error message
said NO information as to why was available!) and my local SMTP mail server
would not respond to mail commands due to connection errors (timeouts)
between e-mail clients and the mail server. De-installing the hot fixes one
by one (last one first etc.) did not help whatsoever: my system remained
very slow (even with minimal/no app-load) and would not recover to
pre-hotfix state and speed.

The only thing left to do was to perform another image-overwrite and now I
only have KB823980 and KB824146 installed and things are pretty much OK
again. Since the NetBios flaw fix (KB824105) is negligible in severity, I
think I leave it at that, though I can only guess this one was the culprit
for my specific problems.

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

Date: 13/09/2003
Time: 10:02:38
User: N/A
Computer: DESKPRO
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing. HRESULT was 8000FFFF from line 137 of .\service.cpp. Please
contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

How do I do to report "officially" this error? This is getting very annoying
because I fear I won't be able to apply patches any more, neither SP5, as
long as this problem will not be solved.

Thanks anyway for your time.

Thérèse

What SP are your machines at now? I have had really good results w/
SP3. In fact, I rolled back some servers this weekend to SP3.