Windows 2000 Server - Two LAN Cards and ICS

G

Hi

I posted a query a few days ago which was answered fully as far as what i wanted to know at the time

Now comes the time to employ the system tomorrow and could do with some more info

Anyway, the situation is still the same

Computer 1: Windows 2000 Server (Domain Controller & DHCP/DNS Server
Computer 2: Windows 2000 Server (Backup Controller of Same Domain with AD Replicated from Computer 1
[+]: Computer 2 has two Lan Cards in it, one of which is currenty connected to the network via the Hub. The second network card i hope to connect an ADSL modem to connect to the internet

I need to make Computer 2 the host for Internet Access on the network but how do i adjust Windows 2000 Server on Computer 2 to do so. Computer 2 seems to suffer from a decision making problem at the moment where it doesn't know to use Lan Adaptor 2 for internet access

Any information on how to make Computer 2 the Internet Access Server/Controller without loosing the current config for Lan Adaptor 1 that connects this server to the network via DHCP on Computer 1.

S

Steven L Umbach

From a security and performance point of view I don't think it makes sense to use a
domain controller as your internet gateway, not to mention potential problems with
browsing the internal network due to split browse lists, dns issues, etc. But to
answer your question, the way to make a Windows server an internet gateway is to
enable Routing and Remote Access on it and then enabling/configuring NAT in routing
protocols [look up NAT in help files]. The adapter facing the internet would then
need to be configured with the correct default gateway for your ISP and then make
sure it is second in the priority order in network connections/advanced/advanced.

Your network would be much better protected and have better performance if you use a
real SPI NAT firewall. Depending on your size and needs you may be able to use
something as economical as the ProSafe line from Netgear starting at less than $100
or maybe something like the Sonic Wall Soho 3 which can be purchased on Ebay for
around $300 for 25 users which will also allow extensive protection by being able to
manage outbound traffic. --- Steve

http://www.netgear.com/products/routers/firewallvpn.php
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&prid=589 --- new from Linksys
for under $300 street price

Chris White - Stirling said:
Hi,

I posted a query a few days ago which was answered fully as far as what i wanted to know at the time.

Now comes the time to employ the system tomorrow and could do with some more info.

Anyway, the situation is still the same:

Computer 1: Windows 2000 Server (Domain Controller & DHCP/DNS Server)
Computer 2: Windows 2000 Server (Backup Controller of Same Domain with AD Replicated from Computer 1)
[+]: Computer 2 has two Lan Cards in it, one of which is currenty
connected to the network via the Hub. The second network card i hope to connect an
ADSL modem to connect to the internet.
I need to make Computer 2 the host for Internet Access on the network but how do i
adjust Windows 2000 Server on Computer 2 to do so. Computer 2 seems to suffer from a
decision making problem at the moment where it doesn't know to use Lan Adaptor 2 for
internet access.
Any information on how to make Computer 2 the Internet Access Server/Controller
without loosing the current config for Lan Adaptor 1 that connects this server to the
network via DHCP on Computer 1.

R

robert

www.pctechnicians.ca
internet sharing guide
setting up NAT

do not use ICS if this is a domain

Chris White - Stirling said:
Hi,

I posted a query a few days ago which was answered fully as far as what i wanted to know at the time.

Now comes the time to employ the system tomorrow and could do with some more info.

Anyway, the situation is still the same:

Computer 1: Windows 2000 Server (Domain Controller & DHCP/DNS Server)
Computer 2: Windows 2000 Server (Backup Controller of Same Domain with AD Replicated from Computer 1)
[+]: Computer 2 has two Lan Cards in it, one of which is
currenty connected to the network via the Hub. The second network card i
hope to connect an ADSL modem to connect to the internet.
I need to make Computer 2 the host for Internet Access on the network but
how do i adjust Windows 2000 Server on Computer 2 to do so. Computer 2 seems
to suffer from a decision making problem at the moment where it doesn't know
to use Lan Adaptor 2 for internet access.
Any information on how to make Computer 2 the Internet Access
Server/Controller without loosing the current config for Lan Adaptor 1 that
connects this server to the network via DHCP on Computer 1.

G

Hi guys, thanks for your help.

Re-concidering the safety and security issue of the network i am either going to buy a SPI firewalled Router like the ones suggested or just re-enforce a seperate workstation for Internet duties.

Not sure yet, depends how it all goes. Its getting a good DSL router thats easy to manage and edit firmware wise.

I may go the Netgear route as i have never had any problems with their stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Ask a Question