Windows 2000 Server: Joining Domain from XP

G

Hello everyone. I've installed Windows 2000 Server onto a computer and followed "Configure Your Server" wizard to make the computer my first server (DC) for the domain "test.home.net". After the computer restarts, the default ip set for the DC's network card is 10.10.1.1 and the Preferred DNS is 127.0.0.1 (loopback). I changed the IP from 10.10.1.1 to 192.168.0.100 (the computer I'm trying to join has static IP of 192.168.0.1). I also changed all the services (DHCP, WINS, DNS, etc.) to use the DC's ip, as all services run on the same DC.

I then go to the other computer (Windows XP) and try to join the domain. I've tried to put Test as the domain as well as the FQDN (test.home.net). Both give me this message:

----------------------------------
Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain TEST.HOME.NET.

The error was: "No DNS servers configured for local system."
(error code 0x0000267C DNS_ERROR_NO_DNS_SERVERS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.TEST.HOME.NET

For more information, click Help.

S

Steven L Umbach

Change the domain controllers preferred dns server to by it's actual Ip address and
not 127.0.0.1. Then reboot it and run dcdiag on it to see if it passes all the tests.
Dcdiag is located on the install cdrom in the tolos/support folder where you want to
run the setup there. If all looks good, then configure your XP Pro computer to have
the domain controller only as it's preferred dns server, make sure the built in ICF
firewall is disabled and try again. See the link below for more info on dns. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291382

Thomas Nguyen said:
Hello everyone. I've installed Windows 2000 Server onto a computer and followed
"Configure Your Server" wizard to make the computer my first server (DC) for the
domain "test.home.net". After the computer restarts, the default ip set for the DC's
network card is 10.10.1.1 and the Preferred DNS is 127.0.0.1 (loopback). I changed
the IP from 10.10.1.1 to 192.168.0.100 (the computer I'm trying to join has static IP
of 192.168.0.1). I also changed all the services (DHCP, WINS, DNS, etc.) to use the
DC's ip, as all services run on the same DC.
I then go to the other computer (Windows XP) and try to join the domain. I've tried
to put Test as the domain as well as the FQDN (test.home.net). Both give me this
message:your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this
information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource
record used to locate a domain controller for domain TEST.HOME.NET.
The error was: "No DNS servers configured for local system."
(error code 0x0000267C DNS_ERROR_NO_DNS_SERVERS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.TEST.HOME.NET

For more information, click Help.
response is greatly appreciated.

G

I have changed all ip address for all services to point to the DC (192.168.0.100) as the DC is the actual computer running these services (no separate WINS/DNS/DHCP Server) and even deleted the "." domain as instructed on the DNS webpage. There is only one conection: DC <--> XP Pro. All firewalls have also been shutdown. Now when I try to join the domain (test.home.net), I am asked to provide the name/password fields. After doing so, I get another message:

"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain 'test.home.net.' The network path was not found.

Is this somehow still related to the previous problem? or is it a whole new problem altogether. (I am able to ping the DC, the DC cannot ping back (XP Pro Machine)

Also, upon running nslookup on the DC I get this message: "Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.100: Timed ou
Default Server: UnKnow
Address: 192.168.0.10

-Thoma

----- Steven L Umbach wrote: ----

Change the domain controllers preferred dns server to by it's actual Ip address an
not 127.0.0.1. Then reboot it and run dcdiag on it to see if it passes all the tests
Dcdiag is located on the install cdrom in the tolos/support folder where you want t
run the setup there. If all looks good, then configure your XP Pro computer to hav
the domain controller only as it's preferred dns server, make sure the built in IC
firewall is disabled and try again. See the link below for more info on dns. ---
Stev

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;29138

Thomas Nguyen said:
Hello everyone. I've installed Windows 2000 Server onto a computer and followe
"Configure Your Server" wizard to make the computer my first server (DC) for th
domain "test.home.net". After the computer restarts, the default ip set for the DC'
network card is 10.10.1.1 and the Preferred DNS is 127.0.0.1 (loopback). I change
the IP from 10.10.1.1 to 192.168.0.100 (the computer I'm trying to join has static I
of 192.168.0.1). I also changed all the services (DHCP, WINS, DNS, etc.) to use th
DC's ip, as all services run on the same DCto put Test as the domain as well as the FQDN (test.home.net). Both give me thi
Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are no
your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received thi
information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt
(error code 0x0000267C DNS_ERROR_NO_DNS_SERVERS
response is greatly appreciated

S

Steven L Umbach

I think you still have a dns problem. Make sure that you change the dc
preferred dns server to be it's actual IP and not 127.0.0.1. The nslookup
error is common if you do not have a reverse zone configured for your dns
zone. See the KB link below about verifying that _srv records were properly
created. Also run netdiag and nslookup on your XP box after you have
verified that the dc is in good helth and properly configured. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241515 -- how to verify _srv records
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321708 -- netdiag.

Thomas Nguyen said:
I have changed all ip address for all services to point to the DC
(192.168.0.100) as the DC is the actual computer running these services (no
separate WINS/DNS/DHCP Server) and even deleted the "." domain as instructed
on the DNS webpage. There is only one conection: DC <--> XP Pro. All
firewalls have also been shutdown. Now when I try to join the domain
(test.home.net), I am asked to provide the name/password fields. After doing
so, I get another message:
"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain
'test.home.net.' The network path was not found."
Is this somehow still related to the previous problem? or is it a whole
new problem altogether. (I am able to ping the DC, the DC cannot ping back
(XP Pro Machine).
Also, upon running nslookup on the DC I get this message: "Can't find
server name for address 192.168.0.100: Timed out

G

I have pointed DNS Preferred Server ip address field to 192.168.0.100 (same as the DC's network connection instead of 127.0.0.1). I have run both dcdiag.exe and netdiag.exe and the DC passed all tests. Nslookup still fails. Do I have to have a reverse lookup for DNS to function properly? I am still unable to join the domain from the XP machine.

S

Steven L Umbach

You do not need a reverse zone for it to function properly. Are all the _srv
records in your dns zone?? Run netdiag on the XP machine also, but install
it from the XP install cd and use nslookup from the XP box to see if you
resolve the domain controllers name, and also try pinging the domain
controller by fully qualified domain name from the XP box. Make sure that
the times are also in synch between the XP box and your domain controller.
See the link below for troubleshooting AD problems. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;260371

Thomas Nguyen said:
I have pointed DNS Preferred Server ip address field to 192.168.0.100
(same as the DC's network connection instead of 127.0.0.1). I have run both
dcdiag.exe and netdiag.exe and the DC passed all tests. Nslookup still
fails. Do I have to have a reverse lookup for DNS to function properly? I am
still unable to join the domain from the XP machine.

G

Thanks alot Steve. Looks like my problems have been solved. Took a little time but everything's fine now.

Ask a Question