Windows 2000 Professional IPSEC GW to GW?

Chris Reid

Can two Windows 2000 professional installs operate as an
ipsec gateway to gateway?

On Win 2K server: I can establish a vpn gateway to gateway
as described in KB article "252735 - How to Configure
IPSec Tunneling in Windows 2000" and using RRAS, set the
static route for the remote internal network.

On Win 2K pro: : I can establish a vpn gateway to gateway
as described in KB article "252735 - How to Configure
IPSec Tunneling in Windows 2000" but can not set up RRAS
for a static route. It does not see itself as a server.

Is this conclusion correct? Win 2K pro can not operate as
a gateway because RRAS is not operating as a server,
therefore can not create a static route?

Other info: when the server is working, the route does not
show using a netstat -rn, only seen in the RRAS console.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Reid

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Chris,

Yes, Windows 2000 professional can't work as the gateway since the RRAS is
designed for the Windows 2000 server operation system.

The behavior is by design.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.