Windows 2000 Monitor burn logon.scr

Tor Vigesdal

Hi,

the logon.scr screensaver does not kick in on several of
our machines, resulting in monitors getting a "Windows
2000 logon box burn".

We have checked the settings in
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop and found them
to be OK.

In fact troubleshooting shows that the logon.scr
screensaver does kick in if either
a) the network cable is unplugged when booting
or
b) the WinMgmt service is set to disabled or manual
(Windows Management Instrumentation)

What could cause this?

One thing we thought could explain it was that the
Recovery settings for the WinMgmt service were set to
Restart the Service after 1 minute (for first, second AND
subsequent failures). However, setting this to "Take no
action" did not help.

Best regards,
Tor Vigesdal

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Tor,

Thank you for posting here.

Is there any related error occurred befor you logon in event logs?

I would like to recommend that you refer to the following document to
change the Logon Screen Saver Timeout Time to 60 seconds. In addition, you
can also change the screen saver to ssstars.scr. What is the result?

185348 How To Change the Logon Screen Saver in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=185348

In addition, I suggest that you copy a msconfig.exe tool from Windows
XP/2003 computer to your computer and run it to disable Startup Group and
all the third party services. What is the result?

Please refer to the following document for the detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "Tor Vigesdal" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows 2000 Monitor burn logon.scr
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 00:43:05 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

[...]

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your quick response!

I see Event 1000, source Userenv; Windows cannot unload
your registry file. If you have a roaming profile, your
settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.
DETAIL - Access is denied. , Build number ((2195)).

But I'm not sure this is connected to every bootup and it
appears a bit after the 60 second screensaver should have
kicked in. (It appeared 6 minutes after the anti-virus
software reported to have started after my reboot.)

I have two machines that I have been testing on, and I've
set both to 60 seconds - and I tried one now with
ssstars.scr without any change.

The screen "flickers" briefly every 60 seconds, so it
seems like the screensaver timer is there - but it must
get interrupted/reset.

I used the two machines to disable / remove combinations
of services and startup items until I identified that
disabling the WinMgmt service would do the trick on both
on them.

Best regards,
Tor

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Tor,

Thanks for your update.

I would like to confirm the following information with you.

1 If you change the Timeout Time to 30 seconds. Will the Screen Saver
appear?
2 Set the WinMgmt service to Automatically and Start, then disable all the
third party services. What is the result?
3 Are these computers in domain? Do you set any Startup Policy in Group
policy?

In addition, please run the MPS Reporting tool on the client to collect
the system information for further research.

1. Visit the following web page:

http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7
-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

2. Download the file MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE

3. Double-click MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE to run the tool.

4. On your system a CAB file will be generated for your convenience in the
%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\<Report Type>\Cab directory called
%COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
generated by the MPS Reporting Tool. Please send the cab file to me by
email. (where %systemroot% is the Windows system folder, such as C:\Windows
or C:\Winnt)

Please send the result of MPS Reporting tool to me directly at
(e-mail address removed) and I will do further research.

Thank you!