Windows 7 Window 7, Clutter free desktop

Reaction score
Found this and thought it would be a good idea to post it here. I know there are a good few of us that don't like to have any shortcuts to anything on our desktops. All icons on the desktop are easy to get rid of, either don't select "Add shortcut to desktop" when installing whatever you are installing, or if the icon is already there simply just delete it. All well and done except hweh it comes to the dreaded " Recycle Bin" which can't be deleted. You can go down the route of doing registry hacks etc to remove it, but then it becomes a pain when you need t empty it or if you accidently deleted something and need to restore it.
Now with Windows 7, there is a nice little feature where you can pin the recycle bin to the task bar.

Have a wonder over to Tech-Recipes for a full walk through on how to use this feature. Its quite simple to do and took me only a few minutes.. Enjoy...:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
huh!!

customise the desktop, even in Vista, untick the box, recycle bin gone.

Drag-n-drop, now RB in taskbar.

I sometimes wonder why they call themselves "tech" sites.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, Mucks is right, I'm already totally icon free, easy peasy.

If you want a shortcut to the recycle bin after unticking the icon btw, a gadget named 'applauncher' is a good thing to have.

At the moment I am having a hard time getting shortcuts into the newly activated Quick Launch though. But slowly getting there.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Copy the shortcut in to the quick launch folder should work Flops?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Copy the shortcut in to the quick launch folder should work Flops?

It won't do it :confused:

How I've been doing it is pinning the shortcut to the start menu then somehow transferring that to the Quick launch.

But I was a bit sozzled/tired when I managed that last night, so will re-investigate.

Just to see what it was like I pinned all the shortcuts to the taskbar but I hated it, looked cluttered and horrible, plus the icon didn't highlight for a mouse hover so I cleared them all.

Ask a Question