Win2K Data and User Migration "Urgent Please!"

G

Windows 2000 using AD, we are replacing PC's with now ones. Also during this process we are changing domain names.
We plan on using USB flash drives to copy all user profile data off the old PC and onto the new PC.
Then create the new account under the new domain, and copy user profile data onto the new PC. This should copy the old Profile name onto the new PC which is on the new Domain. Can we rename the profile to the new domain name or do we need to use regedit?

What do we change in regedit?

Is there a faster easier way to copy all user profile settings and data to a new pc with a new domain?

HELP I need urgent help, we are migratings PC's on July 8, 2004 I don't want to do this twice or the long way by manually copying each file folder and then logging in as the user creating the local account then copy data back to the new PC.

O

Ozone

Why not use the ADMT tool to perform a migration from one domain to the
next. The ADMT 2.0 tool will do the migration of computer accounts and also
is suppose to migrate profiles as well. Would this approach work for your
situation?

Ozone
eWisdom said:
Windows 2000 using AD, we are replacing PC's with now ones. Also during
this process we are changing domain names.
We plan on using USB flash drives to copy all user profile data off the old PC and onto the new PC.
Then create the new account under the new domain, and copy user profile
data onto the new PC. This should copy the old Profile name onto the new PC
which is on the new Domain. Can we rename the profile to the new domain
name or do we need to use regedit?
What do we change in regedit?

Is there a faster easier way to copy all user profile settings and data to a new pc with a new domain?

HELP I need urgent help, we are migratings PC's on July 8, 2004 I don't
want to do this twice or the long way by manually copying each file folder
and then logging in as the user creating the local account then copy data
back to the new PC.

G

I've never used ADMT. Can it be used on single PC's onbe at a time or do we have to migrate the entire site at once (over 1,000 units)?
I don't belive we will have server permissions to use this tool when installing all new PC's.
I'm not sure how it will move the users profile and all files (from the old PC to the new one)

Ask a Question