Windows XP Wierd profile problem

Reaction score
I have a network of about 70+ workstations, 2 domain servers, 1 server 2003 SQL box, 1 server 2003 Image server box, and 1 server 2000 It maint box.

The problem I am having ist that a few ( I have found 6 so far) of the WS are getting this wierd profile problem. When you go to manage the computer under local users/groups. What I should see is " SID\username or SID\administrator" but what I see is " SID\administrator S-1-5-21-448539723-606747145-1801674531-5001"

I have tried to fix it on the 6 machines, on 1 I fixed it 2 of the others I had to reimage the drive to fix it (tho I think they had other problems also) The other 3 I can fix it but when the computer reboots its back to that again.

How I tried to fix it follows. I reset the account on the domain server, I then removed the computer from the domain, I then removed all the user accounts from the machine other then the local admin account. I then rejoined the domain and resetup the user accounts. everything looks good untill I reboot after setting up the accounts then I am back to the wierd user info.

I know it has something to do with the windows domain, but then I am not an expert in domains. Anyhow any help would be great, even if its just throwing ideas out :)

Thanks

BTW the pc's that are effected seem to work ok on the network other then if you try to do something that is tied to the computer name, then that wil fail due to the machine not really having full access to the domain.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've edited out the links now, I think it came from copying and pasting :)

Reaction score
Thanks I just saw that on the other web page where I copy and pasted back into word from so I would not have to re type it all again. :) I am lazy that way.

I could get no one to even make a post on the other web page :(

Ask a Question