why no cd printing capability for canon printers in the us?

Gary Tait

even epson now providing cd printing tray for the new printers. will canon
follow?

If you read back earlier today, someone claimed Canon had no intention
of obtaining US rights for CD printing.

As far as I can tell it is patent issues preventing Canon CD printers,
not anything to do with the RIAA or MPAA.

Larry

If you read back earlier today, someone claimed Canon had no intention
of obtaining US rights for CD printing.

As far as I can tell it is patent issues preventing Canon CD printers,
not anything to do with the RIAA or MPAA.

For my part it doesn't matter which reason they dont sell 'em

By the time you spend the money on the "printable" blanks, you'll be right back to using
Sharpies!

Most of the people I've personally met who are looking for a printer to print on CDRs get
really turned off by the price of the printable media.

I havent seen any that come even CLOSE to the price of a regular blank. AFAIK none of the
inkjets will print on a regular cdr (at least not permanently).

leo

For my part it doesn't matter which reason they dont sell 'em

By the time you spend the money on the "printable" blanks, you'll be right back to using
Sharpies!

The price for the blanks is high. I would use it mainly for presentation and
commerical purposes where sharpies or paper labels won't deliver.

Larry

The price for the blanks is high. I would use it mainly for presentation and
commerical purposes where sharpies or paper labels won't deliver.

Thats the problem, and its why I might get one of those "ribbon" type cd printers. If used
on a high quality blank, they look fairly profesional, and I doubt the small ammount of
weight (or adhesive) the lettering adds will cause problems with the disc.

Mostly I would be using it for DvDs that are custom burned and priced high enough to cover
many many ribbons for the label maker.

I really dont see the need to spend the price on "printable" blanks, just to have them on
hand.

My customers have already been satisfied to recieve their DvD in a box with a well printed
label, and nothing at all on the disk. The title on the disk is just one more step to look
professional.

Just Allan

Thats the problem, and its why I might get one of those "ribbon" type cd printers. If used
on a high quality blank, they look fairly profesional, and I doubt the small ammount of
weight (or adhesive) the lettering adds will cause problems with the disc.

I stick labels on dozens of discs for people all the time - for years
- and have had zero problems. This may be an old wive's tale.

Larry

I stick labels on dozens of discs for people all the time - for years
- and have had zero problems. This may be an old wive's tale.

Told by "old wives" with drives that like to spin up to 50x for no
particular reason...

A label (if not PERFECTLY centered & Ballanced) on a disc spinning at
that high speed will make your computer "shake, rattle, & hum".

I have a couple of drives that do that and its annoying, so I dont
want to set up a customer to the same (possible) problem.

It doesn't do any harm that I can tell, but some of my customers are
not "computer literate" and some set-top players may do the same
thing, for all I know.

Just Allan

Told by "old wives" with drives that like to spin up to 50x for no
particular reason...

Do drives actually work at these speeds now? It used to be that they
wouldn't go over 4x. Also, I have several discs that vibrate in the
drive - but none of them are the CD-Rs I've put full circular labels
on?

Larry

Do drives actually work at these speeds now? It used to be that they
wouldn't go over 4x. Also, I have several discs that vibrate in the
drive - but none of them are the CD-Rs I've put full circular labels
on?

The only drives I have that do it are the generic drives, and my
Pioneer DvD burner.

CDs in the cheap 48x and 50x drive wind right up to incredible speeds
(dont know if they actually reach 48x or 50x but they REALLY scream
for a while when you put a disk in).

As I have said, it hasnt caused me any trouble, but disks with stick
on labels vibrate more most of the time (not longer, just harder).

My concern is for the people that BUY the disks, they may not care
for the extra vibration when the disk first spins up in the drive, so
I dont put labels on them, problem solved, BEFORE it happens.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Just Allan said:
Do drives actually work at these speeds now? It used to be that they
wouldn't go over 4x.

My 52X drive writes just fine at 52X, as long as I use media rated for that
speed. I have also had luck using slightly over speed writing (is 52X on 48x
media), but don't like to do that.

Getting the proper media is so cheap and easy these days, there is no point in
running a risk of a bad disk.

Reading data disks at 52X works as well. You can hear it spin up.

Burning at 52X makes it possible for me to "capture" a web broadcast overnight,
burn it to a disk in ~2 minutes in the morning and have something good to listen
to in the car all day...

FredBillie

<< From: Just Allan (e-mail address removed)
Date: Mon, Feb 23, 2004 7:01 AM

Thats the problem, and its why I might get one of those "ribbon" type cd printers. If used
on a high quality blank, they look fairly profesional, and I doubt the small ammount of
weight (or adhesive) the lettering adds will cause problems with the disc.

I stick labels on dozens of discs for people all the time - for years
- and have had zero problems. This may be an old wive's tale.Tell that to my friend that had to have his new Ford mustang radio partially
dismantled to get the stuck CD out that I gave him with my beautiful, carefully
placed label.

Mavrick

I notice that the labels tend to ripple in cold weather - sitting in the
car - glad I never shove one of those in my deck.

Mapanari

If you read back earlier today, someone claimed Canon had no intention
of obtaining US rights for CD printing.

As far as I can tell it is patent issues preventing Canon CD printers,
not anything to do with the RIAA or MPAA.

From my research so far I've discovered it's a Philips patent and that
Canon won't pay the liscensing fees in order to sell their printers in USA,
Canada and S. America that will print on dvds.

All the rest of the world's Canon Ip3000/4000s have an extra tray and
software that enables printing cdrs.

Am still investigating where I can buy the "tray B" and if it will work
with mine if I dl the japanese/english software from Japan that will give
me the cdtray option.

Lady Margaret Thatcher

From my research so far I've discovered it's a Philips patent and that
Canon won't pay the liscensing fees in order to sell their printers in USA,
Canada and S. America that will print on dvds.

All the rest of the world's Canon Ip3000/4000s have an extra tray and
software that enables printing cdrs.

I think that other Pixma models sold outside the USA etc also have the
extra tray. I seem to recall reading a post where someone compared
his USA Canon Pixma printer with a European model, and discovered that
the case plastics are different. The US models don't have a "cutout"
to accept the "B" tray.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm assuming (yes? no?) that the CD tray
moves the CD under the printhead in the "X" direction while the
printhead moves back and forth in the "Y" direction. If so, then
there would need to be some kind of motor or roller to accomplish this
motion. I'm going to guess further that this motor or roller is not
installed in the USA models. Just a guess. Can anyone confirm?
Am still investigating where I can buy the "tray B" and if it will work
with mine if I dl the japanese/english software from Japan that will give
me the cdtray option.

Assuming that I'm wrong, where/how do you buy the "B" tray and where
do you d/l the Japanese/English software? How do you load this
software into the printer?

Mapanari

[...]

I got a really detailed picture of the cannon b tray printer and looking
closely, I can see little teeny rollers just inside the unit where the b
tray inserts.

I presume the round dick holder slide back and forth into the printer, and
that yes, the X is in and out and the Y is left to right printing and the
little rollers advance the disk in and out.

I suspect that, from an engineering standpoint, it makes sense therfor for
some roller in the b tray to engage with the paper path rollers already in
every unit to transfer the power to the little disk-pulling/pushing
rollers.

It is my guess, looking at my USA version and the picture of the asian/euro
version, that all we need is a tray and the software, which can be dl'd
from many places already.

So, all we need to do is find a source to sell us the b-tray!

Amyone going to Grey street in Taipei sometime soon? <s> You could set
up show there, and sell thousands here and in S. America! I'd pay $25 for
one.

Lady Margaret Thatcher

Typos aside, can you see if the "teensy rollers" are attached to
anything, a motor perhaps?

Mapanari

(e-mail address removed) (GMAN)
wrote
I sure hope the above comment was a typo!!!!

Nope. I like to slide in a nice, tight little typo into my slick and
supple verbose musings at times.