why microsoft hides pc games from windows xp media center

Marc L.

David Candy said:
PC invented gaming, consoles are poor imitations.

Not a chance, consoles existed before PCs did.

--
Marc

Rommie : We are not the droids you are looking for
Doyle : What was that ?
Rommie : I don't know, but it didn't work !

Marc L.

It's what is available now that's important. Games were invented
on the PC.

Again, wrong.

--
Marc

Rommie : We are not the droids you are looking for
Doyle : What was that ?
Rommie : I don't know, but it didn't work !

Sookie

It's a floor wax. It's a dessert topping.

You're in a helicopter.

Yes, Mike, you are right when you say "Consoles were where video gaming was
available to the masses of home users." (tho in fact you might want to go
before 1977 to 1972 and the Odyssey from Magnavox.)

However, to say that David is completely wrong is incorrect. I'd review
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcomputer_videogames.htm for a
little research.

And, David, I'll agree with Mike that you are wrong when you say "Games were
invented on the PC." I wouldn't call a PDP-1, an oscilloscope or an EDSAC
vaccuum-tube computer a "PC."

So there. You're both right. You're both wrong.

Mike Brannigan said:
David,

I suggest you do some more research - in 1977 we were playing video games
at home on our Atari 2600's.
The PC (IBM clone x86 CPU etc ) had not even been launched.
The only personal computers were devices like the PET or Apple II etc.
(IBM launched the Personal Computer (IBM 5150) in 1981)

Consoles were where video gaming was available to the masses of home
users.

David Candy

The point is games that people wanted to play. Noone who has played human led games will be interested in
n You see a tree
e you see a river
g n
You bump into a tree

(But Hack was a different matter - I was addicted - current versions aren't as good as previous)

In arcades and pubs one had games like Pacman (only played when drunk which in those days was at lunchtime and after work - ands sometimes at work during the afternoon on someone's expense account - how times have changed) and Defender while consoles had tennis and squash.

The PC games drove your Xboxs and Playstations. My first pocket computer with a two line LCD screen one could only play guess letters or a really crappy tennis game.

David Candy

Moron. What is the point repling to me and nobbleing the newsgroups. If you don't want to participate in the private NG (then don't post at all to this 1/2 Usenet 1/2 MS thread.

What you NEVER do is attempt to cook the record. You are a criminal. It is no different to stealing money by cooking the books.

Roger Christie

steamKILLER said:
x-no-archive: yes

we all know windows xp is a great gaming platform and for me by
far the best one
we also know windows xp has many "flavours" and one of them is
windows xp media center which is basically a pc in your living
room doing the tasks many other hardware does
basically it wants to become a all in one solution and for me
it succeeded making it a great idea and product
so we have a multimedia pc for the living room capable of:
doing all the tasks a normal personal computer does
plus the ones microsoft advertises like
playing tv (replacing the need for a tv set)
record tv (replacing the need for a vcr)
playing music (replacing the need for a cd player)
playing movies (replacing the need for a dvd player)
playing radio (replacing the need for a radio)
all of these are family entertainment to use in the living
room... but what about games? isn't games also entertainment
for the all family and also available in the living room?
obviously yes!
so why doesn't windows xp media center also replace in the
living room a console like it does with a dvd player or music
player?
why is microsoft hiding the gaming capabilities of windows xp
media center?
why isn't there not even a single reference to pc games when
advertising windows xp media center when its a product focus
on entertainment?
why is microsoft trying to join a windows xp media center with
their own console as if windows xp is not capable for games or
there are no games made for windows xp?
why is there always reference to the console when advertising
windows xp media center when we all know xp itself is fully game
capable machine with no need for any extra hardware or software?
doesn't it make total sense having in the living room a machine
capable of playing games?
isn't not being in a living room the biggest complain some gamers
have against the pc?
so if windows xp media center is a pc for the living room doesn't
it makes all the sense in the world being a gaming platform?
so why is microsoft hiding it?
the reason is very simple...
microsoft is hiding pc games from windows xp media center and
trying to "bundle" their own console with it is only motivated by
money and not by any request from customers or technical reason or
even being the best solution to us all
with consoles microsoft profits from every software sold and with
windows they don't
the best solution to us customers in having only one hardware in
the living room and that hardware is a windows xp media center and
not adding any console cause its redundant
a console next to a windows xp media center is a waste and totally
superfluous and redundant
two machine with the same function and obviously the one with the
less capabilities and much weaker, the console must go... its
just not needed!
its obvious microsoft is lying to us customers
is lying about media center making us believe it doesn't have
any gaming capabilities when in fact its a great game platform
its like gm advertising to customers they need to buy TWO cars!
one to use during the day and another one to use at night
this attitude from microsoft is only motivated by money and its
damaging to us customers so we should all inform them to change
their way and set the record clean...
buying a console when already having windows xp media center is
a total waste of money! and all customers must know about this!
also its for microsoft own interest promoting windows xp media
center also for games cause sony is trying to promote their new
console as a media center... and let be no doubt... windows xp
media center CRUSHES is a second that new console crap from sony
so let the world all know:
windows xp media center is a gaming platform!
windows xp media center is a great gaming platform!
windows xp media center is the best gaming platform!
long live pc games!

Piss off, troll.

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

It's what is available now that's important. Games were invented on the PC.

Oh, bollox. Games were invented by bored cavepeople, such as "hunt
the yak bone", "Saber-Tooth Survivor", "guess the number of maggots in
today's lunch", "what's the smallest rock that can crush baby's
skull?", "eat magic mushrooms and talk to the mammoths", etc.

Video games kicked off with Pong, on coin-driven dedicated hardware
powering a TV tube, then home computing took off and chased the arcade
machines, which have split into dumb gambling coin-stealers and
desperately-elaborate site-inside monsters.

The commercial games market first came of age in the early home
computer era; ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Atari 800, a large number of
cottage-industry tribes (especially in the UK) and the Asian MSX
standard, which arrived with too little, too late.

All of these kicked the PC's ass raw. IBM's vision of cutting edge
graphics was CGA (Crummy Graphics Adapter) which offered far worse
graphics than even the lowly Spectrum - choice of 4 colors, either
red, green and yellow OR cyan, magenta and white, 40 characters per
line, but at least it was compatible with composite TV.

IBM creaked out Expensive Graphics Adapter, which looked great (wow;
blue, red, green, yellow *and* white all at the same time! Crayon
realism at last!) but couldn't do it's best on TV, and the
architecture was slow. Never mind flat unaccelerated frame buffers,
this was *slower* than that, and needlessly baroque.

Finally, VGA came out with 256 colors at the same time - that really
was quite beautiful - but bye-bye TV compatability. PC games started
looking good, and some of the best games started coming out on the PC
instead of the home computer market, which was maturing to the 32-bit
generation; QL, Amiga, Atari ST, Archemedes - each of which had their
own GUI, by the way (so much for Mac vs. Windows).

The game consoles came out around then, driven by two needs;
techno-disinterested homies who just wanted the goodies, and software
vendors who wanted a cast-iron cartridge format to secure revenue.

These game consoles largely replaced the coin-op arcade machines, with
the same approach to gaming; zooty graphics and noise, and fast
reflexive gameplay. But computer games were already differetiating
themselves from the classic coin-ops, with deeper game play, slower
pace, and longer entrancement value. Some "adventure" games had no
graphics at all, being purely textual. Arcade machines weren't
interested in this; after all, what cafe owner wants one kid playing
The Hobbit or SimCity for 10 straight hours, on the same 20c?

"Games invented on the PC?" Pffft ;-)

--------------- ------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
When your mind goes blank, remember to turn down the sound

David Candy

The commercial games market first came of age in the early home
computer era; ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Atari 800, a large number of
cottage-industry tribes (especially in the UK) and the Asian MSX
standard, which arrived with too little, too late.

The above are all PCs.

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

David Candy said:
The commercial games market first came of age in the early home
computer era; ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Atari 800, a large number of
cottage-industry tribes (especially in the UK) and the Asian MSX
standard, which arrived with too little, too late.
The above are all PCs.

The term "PC" is commonly held to be referring to the IBM PC and its clones.
i.e. Intel x86 architecture based systems al capable of running the same OS
and apps.
Those machine listed are more commonly referred to as "home computers"

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
The commercial games market first came of age in the early home
computer era; ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Atari 800, a large number of
cottage-industry tribes (especially in the UK) and the Asian MSX
standard, which arrived with too little, too late.

The above are all PCs.

Andrew

The term "PC" is commonly held to be referring to the IBM PC and its clones.
i.e. Intel x86 architecture based systems al capable of running the same OS
and apps.
Those machine listed are more commonly referred to as "home computers"

Or these days, "land fill" ;-)

David Candy

The first computers that can be called 'personal' were the first non-mainframe computers, the LINC and the PDP-8. By today's standards they were big (about the size of a refrigerator), expensive (around $50,000 US), and had small magnetic core memories (about 4096 12-bit words for the LINC).

1947
December 23
a.. Three scientists at Bell Telephone Laboratories, William Shockley, Walter Brattain, and John Bardeen demonstrate their new invention of the point-contact transistor amplifier. The name transistor is short for "transfer resistance". (Miniaturization of electronic circuits via the transistor is a key development making personal desktop computers small, reliable, and affordable.) [185.84] [202.131] [266.9] [1064.237] [1149.69] [1298.186]
1966
May
a.. Steven Gray founds the Amateur Computer Society, and begins publishing the ACS Newsletter. (Some consider this to be the birth-date of personal computing.) [208.64]
October 4
a.. An advertisement in Science magazine by Hewlett-Packard introduces first programmable scientific desktop calculator, which Hewlett-Packard calls "the new Hewlett-Packard 911A personal computer". (This is claimed as coining the term "personal computer".) [213.5] [1559]
a.. IBM builds SCAMP, one of the world's first personal computers. [606.22]
1972
November
a.. Researchers at PARC begin work on a prototype Alto personal computer. [716.93]

David Candy

Personal computers first appeared in the late 1970s. One of the first and most popular personal computers was the Apple II, introduced in 1977 by Apple Computer. During the late 1970s and early 1980s, new models and competing operating systems seemed to appear daily. Then, in 1981, IBM entered the fray with its first personal computer, known as the IBM PC. The IBM PC quickly became the personal computer of choice, and most other personal computer manufacturers fell by the wayside. One of the few companies to survive IBM's onslaught was Apple Computer, which remains a major player in the personal computer marketplace.

And as we know MS won't mention IBM's name, calling them OEM instead. Remember I owned a pocket PC before IBM released the IBM PC. I considered it a toy and didn't use one till 1986 when we needed to print in lower case. My IBM mainframe sorted the customer database in 1/10th of a second compared to overnight for the AT (with DBase III+). It wasn't till 1984 that I found application as good as those on the mainframe (which also used the term Personal Computing - but they were refering to the apps).
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message The first computers that can be called 'personal' were the first non-mainframe computers, the LINC and the PDP-8. By today's standards they were big (about the size of a refrigerator), expensive (around $50,000 US), and had small magnetic core memories (about 4096 12-bit words for the LINC).

[...]

Chadwick

Chris said:
Please don't respond to posts if you believe it to be a troll, and,
secondary, don't quote the darn thing again.

That's all Roger ever does - just post that exact same response. He's
more annoying than the original post because at least the original post
gave you something to discuss. Perhaps it's an automated response?

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

OK - call all the rest "personal computers" but your statement was "Games
were invented on the PC."
The use of the term PC ( in uppercase) as you acknowledge in your own post
(below) refers to the IBM PC and its clones we use today.
So we all stand by our previous posts that the "PC" was not the original
source of gaming.

Mike
--
[...]

Herb

Enough of the pissing match about who can spit out more dates/facts about
the roots of computer history. This is getting rather tired...

Herb