Why is a French Spellchecker a "required" update for English speak

The latest batch includes a French Spellchecker and Thesaurus as a required
update. Why? What is next? Arabic? Do French installations require English
updates? Is Microsoft getting political?

Joseph Meehan

Sorry. This is a newsgroup dedicated to questions about Access, the
database program in Office Professional. It appears your question may not
be related to these subjects. The Microsoft help system is not all that
clear and may have misdirected you here.

It is best to ask your questions in a newsgroup dedicated to the
subject of your question. You should find people better able to address
your problem there.

Note: It is always best to indicate the name and version of any
program(s) you may be using when asking a question and also indicate the
operating system (like Windows XP or 98) when you ask a question.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit
"French Spellcheck "Required"?" <French Spellcheck
"Required"[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

6

'69 Camaro

Why?

Es loco.
What is next?
Deutsch.

Arabic?

Nein. Deutsch.
Do French installations require English
updates?
Non.

Is Microsoft getting political?
???.

And you've mistakenly posted your questions in the Microsoft Access (the
database application that's part of MS Office Professional) newsgroup.
Please post your questions in a more appropriate newsgroup.

HTH.

Gunny

"French Spellcheck "Required"?" <French Spellcheck
"Required"[email protected]> wrote in message

Charlie Tame

Since the update you mention is offered by MS OFFICE update I suspect this
is not entirely the wrong group - if you head for update from within Access
you get offered it. I did and after Update tries to foist it upon me it then
refuses to install.

I had one machine that insisted the French grammar checker was installed
first, then everything went normally, I have one machine that accepted all 3
yesterday with no hiccups, but this one won't have all 3 (including a word
security update) in any combinations.

Apparently the people who have replied so far either haven't had the
problem, don't check updates via Access, or don't do updates.

Anyway, best of luck with it, I suspect an error on the update list
somewhere, however I might try installing French just to see if it makes a
difference, otherwise it's bye bye (au revoir?) to Office Update :)

Charlie

"French Spellcheck "Required"?" <French Spellcheck
"Required"[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Charlie Tame

Brendan Reynolds said:
Perhaps the people who have replied so far thought that
microsoft.public.officeupdate might be a more appropriate forum for
questions about Office Update?

Perhaps they did, but if you go there from within Access (IE using the menu
thing that says "Check for updates") you get the same problem as users with
all other office products - and since it has now stopped me from getting an
update for "Word 2003" perhaps the "Word" groups would be a consideration?
no?

I appreciate your informative link, however since this appears to be a
general problem that's going to affect all of us (potentially) I would think
someone here will soon learn the answer, wouldn't you?

In any case the original post appeared to have a bit of humor in it,
occasionally people appreciate something on a lighter note.

I sincerely apologize if our idle banter ruffled your pristine feathers,
annoyed you, shocked you or caused you to have a bad hair day, but I assure
you I won't be losing any sleep over it :)

Charlie

6

'69 Camaro

Hi, Charlie.
Since the update you mention is offered by MS OFFICE update I suspect this
is not entirely the wrong group

This is entirely the wrong group to ask how to make configuration changes
for applications other than Microsoft Access, Jet, or MDAC. Office Update
is not a component of Access any more than Word is a component of Access.
I had one machine that insisted the French grammar checker was installed
first, then everything went normally, I have one machine that accepted all
3 yesterday with no hiccups, but this one won't have all 3 (including a
word security update) in any combinations.

This is a case where you should have asked for help from an experienced
system administrator or MS Office professional, not a database expert.
Apparently the people who have replied so far either haven't had the
problem, don't check updates via Access, or don't do updates.

Because I'm a DBA and a former System Administrator, I often do
installations and updates on numerous computers -- usually set up by other
administrators or the users -- and having multiple OS's and versions of MS
Office, so I'm aware of this occasional problem. It's inappropriate to ask
Access database experts for step-by-step instructions to fix something that
many certified Windows system administrators and Microsoft Office
professionals are not qualified to handle unless also experienced in this
arena, too.
Anyway, best of luck with it, I suspect an error on the update list
somewhere, however I might try installing French just to see if it makes a
difference, otherwise it's bye bye (au revoir?) to Office Update :)

You are guessing at the cause, and your solution will cause additional work
to fix for anyone implementing it. I would not recommend this experiment.

HTH.

Gunny

John Mullan

Oh my! I have only recently subscribed to three newsgroups, access, access
queries and access forms. I hadn't realised that I was having to mix with
people who will shoot you for your first mistake.

After considering the exchange over this item, I asked myself - what is the
name of this group 'Microsoft' 'Public' 'Access'. Not a mention of database
in any of that - in fact an invitation to a public access group related to
Microsoft!

Lighten up people and allow those out there trying to learn some leeway - or
are you all perfect?

JohnM

Charlie Tame

'69 Camaro said:
Hi, Charlie.

This is entirely the wrong group to ask how to make configuration changes
for applications other than Microsoft Access, Jet, or MDAC. Office Update
is not a component of Access any more than Word is a component of Access.

This is a case where you should have asked for help from an experienced
system administrator or MS Office professional, not a database expert.

It wasn't me asking for help, but it's noticeable that where the MVPs in
other groups try to address the question the MVPs here simply address
posting ettiquette. For a start if you read the group name as "Public
Access" it is rather misleading, which I agree is unfortunate but to a
novice it's an understandable error in my view. Remember MS advise people to
seek help in the newsgroups therefore one must expect a certain amount of
new user error.

Because I'm a DBA and a former System Administrator, I often do
installations and updates on numerous computers -- usually set up by other
administrators or the users -- and having multiple OS's and versions of MS
Office, so I'm aware of this occasional problem. It's inappropriate to
ask Access database experts for step-by-step instructions to fix something
that many certified Windows system administrators and Microsoft Office
professionals are not qualified to handle unless also experienced in this
arena, too.

Nobody asked for specific instructions did they? Newsgroups do NOT come with
a list of who's experienced at what, but in any case this particular
question was intended (I thought) to be half humorous, although it is not
impossible that one or two of us could have worked out the answer. Perhaps
the ivory tower syndrome is worse than I thought :)?

You are guessing at the cause, and your solution will cause additional
work to fix for anyone implementing it. I would not recommend this
experiment.

HTH.

Gunny

Which part of "I might try" did you misunderstand? It should be fairly
obvious that this was a rather fragile attempt at fitting in the "French" au
revoir comment.

Hell's teeth it seems like a few here need to take a vacation !

Charlie

Charlie Tame

John Mullan said:
Oh my! I have only recently subscribed to three newsgroups, access, access
queries and access forms. I hadn't realised that I was having to mix with
people who will shoot you for your first mistake.

After considering the exchange over this item, I asked myself - what is
the
name of this group 'Microsoft' 'Public' 'Access'. Not a mention of
database
in any of that - in fact an invitation to a public access group related
Microsoft!

Thank you John, (Merci Beaucoup?) I hadn't read that before posting my reply
(probably above in the list) but it's exactly the cause of much of the
frustration. Actually "We" probably know where we are, but for a newcomer
the list of groups is staggering, and access comes pretty close to the start
:).

Don't take too much notice of me, I'm mainly just teasing, but it is very
disconcerting for beginners.

Anyway, no more from me on the subject, it is way off topic for any of the
groups :).

Charlie

6

'69 Camaro

Hi, John.
I have only recently subscribed to three newsgroups, access, access
queries and access forms.

Well, then welcome to the newsgroups! Feel free to post questions, answers
and advice.
I hadn't realised that I was having to mix with
people who will shoot you for your first mistake.

We use our ammo only on spammers. You will not be shot for making a first,
or even a subsequent, mistake. However, you'll find that there are enough
knowledgeable experts hanging around these forums that if someone should
post incorrect or incomplete information, then a correction or clarification
will be made by those experts to ensure that newbies aren't confused or
misled by that information.

The UseNet posts are archived for researchers, so it behooves us to ensure
that only the most accurate information is recorded. After all, would you
like to research the archive, find the written solution to your problem, and
implement it -- only to find out that you did the exact opposite of what you
_should_ have done because the information posted did not apply to your
version of Access? Such a mistake might cause loss of data or take precious
time and expensive resources to fix the mistake. None of us wants to be in
those shoes, so we make efforts to ensure others don't step into those shoes
unwittingly, either.
Lighten up people and allow those out there trying to learn some leeway -
or
are you all perfect?

Thank you for noticing! We're all perfect -- well, except maybe for Albert.
He misspells a word now and then, but that's because he's using his French
spell-checker. ;-)

Seriously, this is a forum where people share their knowledge of what
works -- and what doesn't -- with others. We can all learn from each other,
including from those of us who are less than perfect.
After considering the exchange over this item, I asked myself - what is
the
name of this group 'Microsoft' 'Public' 'Access'. Not a mention of
database
in any of that - in fact an invitation to a public access group related
Microsoft!

Yes. That is unfortunate. Those who are familiar with UseNet know how the
naming convention is used, and possibly that the "public" was used to
differentiate from the "private" corporate and MVP discussion groups. It
would help a little if the name were changed to Microsoft.Database.Access or
Microsoft.Products.Access, but it's nearly impossible to change a newsgroup
name once it's been implemented. It is truly not worth the effort involved.

And even if the name were changed, people would still post their questions
about Windows, E-mail, Word, computer viruses, et cetera, in this renamed
forum because they have no idea what a database is or that Access is a
software product, but they recognize the Microsoft name and the word
"Access" which might mean access to Microsoft's free tech support. (Uh,
there's no such thing, by the way. Microsoft's tech support is quite
expensive, which is why the peer-to-peer technical discussion groups in
UseNet are so popular.)

HTH.

Gunny

6

'69 Camaro

Hi, Charlie.
It wasn't me asking for help

There are three ways to learn: from experience, from reading books, and
vicariously through others' experiences. May I suggest pointing yourself in
the other direction? It's far easier to roll downhill than uphill.
it's noticeable that where the MVPs in other groups try to address the
question

You are comparing rather different environments. The other newsgroups'
names don't start at the beginning of the alphabet, aren't placed as the top
menu item, nor do they have the word "Access" as part of their name, so
those newsgroups don't attract huge crowds of "lost souls." The MVP's in
the other newsgroups aren't playing traffic cops to the degree that the
Access experts here are.

On weekends and the wee hours of the morning, only about a third of the
questions posted in this newsgroup actually pose a question about Access in
the English language -- the intended audience of this newsgroup. If we
didn't make an effort to tell people that they are posting a question in a
forum that is unlikely to be able to answer their question correctly and
quickly, then the proportion of non-English, non-Access questions would be
even higher, because people would keep posting the same questions here
again, since their questions weren't answered the first time.

And when we address the off-topic questions by answering them instead of
redirecting the poster to a more appropriate newsgroup, we are encouraging
them to return the next time they have any computer-related question. You
don't know how often we get the "I know this is off-topic, but you guys know
so much and can probably give me the answer to this problem I've been
struggling with" posts. Yes. We can provide instructions how to create a
dual-boot computer where every partition boots up as the C:\ drive, or
replace an alternator, or give an emergency tracheotomy, or brew the best
beer, but people don't come here for that (except maybe the beer brewing).
They come to this forum to get their Access database problems solved and to
learn more about Access. Forcing people to climb over or to dig under
excessive debris to reach the treasures they seek will not encourage them to
hang around this neighborhood.
the MVPs here simply address posting ettiquette.

If one removes the traffic lights and traffic cops from a very busy
intersection, there are going to be collisions. That intersection will
become blocked. These traffic cops you are complaining about are keeping
the traffic flowing so that you and everybody else can have a quick road
trip to the desired destination: a free, correct answer that solves the
Access database problem.

You _have_ noticed that most Access questions are answered, haven't you?
The effort to redirect lost souls to other newsgroups doesn't come at the
expense of answering the Access questions.
if you read the group name as "Public Access" it is rather misleading

It's open to the public, as opposed to closed to the public, which the
private corporate Microsoft discussion groups happen to be. But since the
private discussion groups aren't available to us, one can't see and compare
the names to recognize that there's a differentiation which is being
identified by the word "Public" in the name.
Remember MS advise people to seek help in the newsgroups therefore one
must expect a certain amount of new user error.

We can tell them that they've mistakenly posted in the wrong newsgroup, or
we can ignore them. If we take the latter tactic, they'll usually post
their questions again. When that doesn't get answered, they notice that
other questions are getting replies, so they post a new question asking why
they are getting ignored. And then the flames begin.
Nobody asked for specific instructions did they?

From your posts it appears that you expected them to be given -- even
surprised when none were. You specifically wrote the following in your
first post:

"Apparently the people who have replied so far either haven't had the
problem, don't check updates via Access, or don't do updates."

In other words, "the people who have already replied don't know what they
are talking about, but I do." You have provided proof in your posts within
this thread on exactly how much you know about the subject, so I needn't say
more about your intended insult to make you feel any worse than you already
do.

However, a post can be posed as a question or a problem encountered, but the
replies will be geared towards helping the poster if possible. The poster
has a problem that giving specific, step-by-step instructions to overcome it
will turn a thread that started as a complaint into a solution.
Unfortunately, those step-by-step instructions won't likely come from an
Access database expert or a plumber or an exo-botanist. As Brendan Reynolds
pointed out, someone experienced in Office Update has seen the same problem
and is ready to provide that assistance over in the Office Update newsgroup.
in any case this particular question was intended (I thought) to be half
humorous

The poster got half-humorous answers in multiple languages, but everyone has
different tastes. If you didn't find my responses half-humorous, then don't
worry. I won't quit my day job.
although it is not impossible that one or two of us could have worked out
the answer.

Database questions are answered freely in this newsgroup. Non-database
questions are answered at the consultant's going rate. (PC Datasheet's
rates are reasonable. Just ask him!) So those who know how to fix the
problem don't offer that non-database information for free, and those who
offer the information for free are guessing how to fix the problem. The
poster would have a better chance of success at getting the problem quickly
solved for free by posting a question in the Office Update newsgroup.
Dontcha think?
Perhaps the ivory tower syndrome is worse than I thought :)?

Don't go there. The rent is sky-high.
Which part of "I might try" did you misunderstand? It should be fairly
obvious that this was a rather fragile attempt at fitting in the "French"
au revoir comment.

Hell's teeth it seems like a few here need to take a vacation !

I'm reminded of my Grandpa's advice: "When you find yourself at the bottom
of a deep hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'." Perhaps we should
hand the shovel to Brendan and all of us head over to the nearest pub for a
pint. :)

HTH.

Gunny

Charlie Tame

You obviously had not read the thread from the start in the same way I did
so let's jump ahead to your last few comments and both stop digging.

I came to this group because my experience with Access - the product - is
limited to say the least, and I find one quite often gets far better advice
in fewer words than any amount of text book examples which always work
because they have been tested to death, yet don't always help with the first
simple problems one encounters.

As it happens I have Access as a result of an MSDN subscription and have it
installed on 3 machines for evaluation and because I can use free time at
any of 3 locations to play with stuff. These are all relatively new
installs, 2 W2k and 1 XP Pro. I noted the specific problem on one machine
but it "Fixed" itself because I took the FAQ advice of trying one update at
a time, although it's not due to the machine or drive being under capacity
and it was not the size of the download because the French Grammar checker
was the last one I tried singly and that fixed the problem for all.. I found
it mildly amusing that I had to install a French Grammar checker for
anything else to work - a Chirac conspiracy perhaps?

Then a second machine (well I had done this first from Access so did it the
same way) totally failed yet a third machine, the smaller capacity of all
got it right, also through Access, thus it is pertinent because we have
kinda established that it's most unlikely to be an Access problem or due to
Access being running. Ya know they say close programs but if the link is
from within that program what then? However it did seem likely that the OP
was either confused by the group name or else had also followed the update
link from Access. Bear in mind here that Office programs do have this link,
right?

Therefore, it seemed to me, that chastising the OP for posting in a group
which at least has some relevance was potentially obstructive.

FWIW the useful info I can give is that it does not seem to matter how one
gets to Office Update the problem still exists, however I have maybe got an
inconclusive answer there because on the first try via Access it did show
files to download and it did download some, what it failed on was the
install. Now when I try it shows 0 bytes to download AND 0 bytes downloaded,
so we have not ruled out the possibility that if you first try through
Access with Access running you inadvertently screw something up which then
sticks...

So you see my point here, it is just possible this problem may bounce back
to having Access running in the end, and short of re-installing I can't
investigate further. So humor aside I seriously do think it is one of those
things that may interest the Access Pros one way another since their own
users may be finding this out and asking - it's always better to have a
definitive answer rather than be unsure isn't it?

I suspect you are right, that it's more to do with a faulty update than
anything else, but if you get 50 phone calls from customers in the morning
at least you now know there's problems with some installations of Office :)

Charlie

david epsom dot com dot au

name of this group 'Microsoft' 'Public' 'Access'. Not a mention of

Which is why this group was closed for many years.
Someone at MS decided to re-activate the group, and
this is the natural result. A predictable result,
which reflects poorly on whoever made the decision.

An acceptable fix would be to great a new group, simply
called microsoft.public. That would sort to the top of
the list, would catch a great deal of undirected questions,
and would take the load off of the Access people here.

An alternative would be to move all of the MSAccess
groups to under microsoft.public.office, where there
are already a number of Access groups!

(david)

Brendan Reynolds

It is not - at least not as far as I am concerned - a question of ruffling
or not ruffling anyone's feathers, pristine or otherwise. The question is,
where is someone more likely to find a person able and willing to answer
their question?

If you were a dentist, and someone told you that they were having problems
with their eyesight, would you not advise them to consult an optician?

6

'69 Camaro

Hi, Charlie.
However it did seem likely that the OP was either confused by the group
name or else had also followed the update link from Access. Bear in mind
here that Office programs do have this link, right?

When 1,100 new people land in this newsgroup per month asking questions
about E-mail, Word, Windows, the Web, and occasionally Access, yes, we might
be curious as to who the prankster was who set up detour signs leading all
these other folks to the Access newsgroups. Since the problem started about
a year ago, you're the first one to stop by and enlighten us. Thank you.
And in case you've found out who won the U.S. Presidential election, please
don't blab it around here. We'd rather not know if Ronnie Reagan lost.
Therefore, it seemed to me, that chastising the OP

Re-read the messages that were posted before yours. Joe's response was
professional, polite, and helpful. Mine was a little silly, but written in
a similar tone to the poster's message, followed by statements that alerted
the poster that there was a problem, identified what the problem was (the
poster wasn't where he thought he was), and to take appropriate action.
This is akin to telling a gentleman that he's entering the ladies' restroom
and to please use the mens' restroom across the hall instead. There might
be momentary embarassment, but all parties will be glad that something was
said and that appropriate action was taken.

There was no chastisement, denigration, or belittlement, or any other
negative connotation you want to lable either of the responses to the poster
prior to your message.
for posting in a group which at least has some relevance

Problems running Office Update are not relevant to Access, any more than
problems running Word or Excel when launched from Access are relevant to
Access. These are all part of Microsoft Office, but are each separate
applications.

You explained that you are new to Access, and it appears that you think that
a process launched via the built-in Access menu means that the process is a
component of Access or otherwise controllable by Access. Not so. As an
example, open a query in Datasheet View, then select the Tools -> Office
Links -> Analyze it with Microsoft Excel to export the records into a
spreadsheet. (Word can be launched in a similar way.) Manipulate or close
either application and you'll find that these applications are not dependent
upon each other or controllable from each other (unless one writes and
executes Automation code for the external application, but that capability
isn't built-in).

Most importantly, having easy access to launch external applications from
within Access does not mean that experts familiar with Access have the
knowledge to solve problems in those external applications. They might, but
that's a lot to expect. For example, asking Access experts to troubleshoot
a problem in Excel will likely get advice to post a question in the Excel
newsgroup so that someone familiar with that application can better help
you.
so we have not ruled out the possibility that if you first try through
Access with Access running you inadvertently screw something up which then
sticks...

So you see my point here, it is just possible this problem may bounce back
to having Access running in the end, and short of re-installing I can't
investigate further.

Let me save you some time pondering this further by giving you a hint: If
Access were not installed on _any_ of these three computers that you've
installed MS Office on, you would still have recieved the same error
messages and prompts when running Office Update. You can eliminate Access
from your list of suspects.
if you get 50 phone calls from customers in the morning at least you now
know there's problems with some installations of Office :)

Nah. The Office installations and updates are fine. Those 50 phone calls
are from irate customers who just discovered that IM no longer works on
their office computer and demand to know why some Mr. Kelvir isn't allowed
to contact them through IM. ;-)

HTH.

Gunny

Charlie Tame

'69 Camaro said:
Hi, Charlie.
Let me save you some time pondering this further by giving you a hint: If
Access were not installed on _any_ of these three computers that you've
installed MS Office on, you would still have recieved the same error
messages and prompts when running Office Update. You can eliminate Access
from your list of suspects.

I will take your repetition of what you said earlier to mean that you think
I didn't read it the first time, but I did.

However I fail to see how you can claim this "Cannot" be anything to do with
Access since MS themselves advise the closing of ALL programs when
installing updates - that advice itself being somewhat ambiguous when
following a link. You can claim it's unlikely, which I tend to agree with,
however if the update is trying to replace some common "Module" is it
impossible that there's some connection? Presumably Access can "Speak
French" so there must be some commonality somewhere? Considering that fact
(and it is a fact) I don't think the OP was as wildly off topic as you might
at first think, that's all.

You seem to revere the 69 model Camaro, but it had it's faults like
everything else, including both of us :)

Charlie

Charlie Tame

If you were a dentist, and someone told you that they were having problems
with their eyesight, would you not advise them to consult an optician?

Brendan, you are mixing apples and oranges here. I had not run Access
before, it had simply been installed as part of "Office", so when I first
ran it I went to the update site using the link within Access. This is not
the same as visiting the dentist with a vision problem. I had previously
visited the site from Word and Excel and had no problems, however by
coincidence new updates were available and so I adopted the method I'd used
before and opted to install what was offered. If you want to continue your
analogy it might be more appropriate to consider waking up after dentistry
to discover you have a vision problem. Would you then ask the dentist if he
had any idea what happened?

Sure, it probably has nothing whatsoever to do with Access per-se, but what
if it does and what if a lot of systems get broken as a result?

The only reason I responded to the OP in the first place was because the
same had just happened to me, therefore I wondered if there might actually
be some known connection. I have already stated several times I am not
familiar with the Access program itself, so a good answer seemed to be to
find out if more experienced users / professionals might already know the
cause - Access professionals seemed as good a group as any for an initial
casual enquiry.

Charlie

6

'69 Camaro

Hi, Charlie.

I see that Brendan has gladly handed the shovel back to you. Since you seem
so intent on getting back to work, we'll leave you to it.

Arrivederci.

Gunny

Charlie Tame

Well let me remind you of your earlier dumbass and completely worthless
comment shall I?

If Access were not installed I wouldn't be needing to look at the update
site would I? Why would I have installed Access if I had no intention of
doing anything with it?

Anyway, the answer is that one part of your comment is correct, the problem
is not SPECIFIC to Access, but if the site is viewed from within any of the
programs in the office suite the problem occurs (as far as I can test) and
therefore it IS of potential interest to Office users who only use selected
parts of the suite.

It seems a little pointless to appoint yourself as an authority on a piece
of software yet attack anyone who brings in peripheral information which may
well affect your own specialty subject does it not? Of course if you prefer
the role of self appointed newsgroup cop then I suppose it's just perfect,
in fact why bother dealing with any software specific queries at all? Why
not simply be Newsgroup re-director and have done with it? Save yourself
some time and some typing.

In any case I shall post my findings for the benefit of anyone vaguely
interested, just in case it actually helps someone, which is what I thought
these groups were designed for :)

Charlie