Why don't my USB devices work as in Windows XP?

Many of usb devices that worked in Win XP by just pluging them in do not
work on Windows Vista Home Premium,
1. Plug in my Epson R300 Stylus and see "Found New Hardware" but windows
can't find the driver even when I point it right to the location
(PnPDriverNotFound error - Yes, Plug and Play service is started), Yes, Epson
says it works with Vista -

2. Plug in my Native Instruments KORE Sound device/Midi controller and see
"Found New Hardware" but windows can't find the driver even when I point it
right to the location (PnPDriverNotFound error - Yes, Plug and Play service
is started), Yes, Native Instruments says it works with Vista,

3. Plug in my Sandisk Cruzer thumb drive and see "Found New Hardware" but
windows can't find the driver even when I point it right to the location
(PnPDriverNotFound error - Yes, Plug and Play service is started), Does
Sandisk really have to certify this simple legacy device??

4. Plug in my HP USB 2.0/Firewire combo hub see "Found New Hardware" but
windows can't find the driver even when I point it right to the location
(PnPDriverNotFound error - Yes, Plug and Play service is started), I found
out HP doesn't have a clue after spending 4 hours on the phone and chatting
with all levels of support. They did however check with Microsoft and MS said
that they have no solution at this time!!! Other than to do a "System
Restore" Stupid asnswer...

Some of my USB/Firewire devices did get recognized though such as my
Novation Remote SL 61 key midi controller, Focusrite Saffire sound module and
my Adaptec external USB/Firewire hard drives.

Of course if Vista had an OS repair function like XP did maybe I could
re-install my PnP drivers without a full system restore... Retarded

This is happening on a new HP 8120n Q6600 Pavillion.

Any of you MVP's want to tackle this?

Vista User

Craig said:
[...]

Have you gone to the manufacture site of these devices and see if they have
a Vista driver?

NotMe

Many security programs can cause that by stopping the registry changes made
by the install program.
If you have such a program installed, turn it off during install.
Start the install from the CD by right clicking the setup file and selecting
'run as admin'

I am admin, UAC that piece of #@!!@$#@! is turned off, All security disabled,
uninstalled or turned off - this is not an internet machine

dennis@home

Craig said:
I am admin, UAC that piece of #@!!@$#@! is turned off, All security
disabled,
uninstalled or turned off - this is not an internet machine

Did these devices work before you turned all the security off?
How did you disable it all?
By editing the registry?
Do you have a registry backup you can put back to see if its broken?

After the first time the UAC prompted me to change a folder name I turned it
off. Just go into the Control panel click User accounts and turn it off.
Nonsense that thing. All my software and hardware (the working and
non-working) was installed after UAC was turned off. No I have not yet gone
into the registry but that is next if I don't get some reasonable reply here
from someone who knows and has the ability to understand the problem. I was
an original SDK developer on Windows in the 80's and a systems programmer for
part of the 90's so yes I can go in and muck around and eventually get things
right but...I should not have too if this was/is the really advanced piece of
OS that it is supposed to be. I am a sound for film composer now and not
interested in spending my time making an OS work that MS had years and years
to develope with 100's of devs to do it. My proposition is that simple USB
legacy devices that worked fine on Win XP should not have the problems they
are on my machine.

John Barnes

Most printers install with their own install program which asks for the usb
printer to be plugged in during the program install. You should cancel the
found new hardware for the printer. Try to install the other items from
device manager. Some times you can install from there when you can't get it
to work from the startup found new hardware wizard.

Yes John, I ahve tried from the device manager to no avail, My point is this,
A legacy usb thumb drive like the Sandisk cruzer should just "work". It has
no software to install and relies on the built in windows drivers. No one
(not MS, HP, This forum, Native Instruments support - no one) so far has
given me an answer to that simple question much less a tougher one like the
KORE install.
Thanks

dennis@home

Craig said:
Yes John, I ahve tried from the device manager to no avail, My point is
this,
A legacy usb thumb drive like the Sandisk cruzer should just "work". It
has
no software to install and relies on the built in windows drivers. No one
(not MS, HP, This forum, Native Instruments support - no one) so far has
given me an answer to that simple question much less a tougher one like
the
KORE install.
Thanks

The 4G one I have works fine with my Vista.
You have a problem that is specific to your machine.
If nothing else works recover the machine to factory defaults and see if
that works.. if it doesn't take it back as its broken.
Don't forget to check your backups are OK before you wipe it.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Craig,
Your Incache may be corrupted adn the symptoms you are describing would be
very similar.
try this update:

937187 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in
Windows Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver
software for your device"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;937187

See if that allows detection to work again.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWc=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Why don't my USB devices work as in Windows XP?
|> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:02:00 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Yes John, I ahve tried from the device manager to no avail, My point is
this,
|> A legacy usb thumb drive like the Sandisk cruzer should just "work". It
has
|> no software to install and relies on the built in windows drivers. No
one
|> (not MS, HP, This forum, Native Instruments support - no one) so far has
|> given me an answer to that simple question much less a tougher one like
the
|> KORE install.
|> Thanks
|>
|> "John Barnes" wrote:
|>
|> > Most printers install with their own install program which asks for
the usb
|> > printer to be plugged in during the program install. You should
cancel the
|> > found new hardware for the printer. Try to install the other items
from
|> > device manager. Some times you can install from there when you can't
get it
|> > to work from the startup found new hardware wizard.

Play

Hardware"

Hardware"

Retarded

Thanks Darrell, Yours is the first response that sounds even remotely close.
I'll try it.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Craig,
Your Incache may be corrupted adn the symptoms you are describing would be
very similar.
try this update:

937187 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in
Windows Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver
software for your device"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;937187

See if that allows detection to work again.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWc=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Why don't my USB devices work as in Windows XP?
|> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:02:00 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Yes John, I ahve tried from the device manager to no avail, My point is
this,
|> A legacy usb thumb drive like the Sandisk cruzer should just "work". It
has
|> no software to install and relies on the built in windows drivers. No
one
|> (not MS, HP, This forum, Native Instruments support - no one) so far has
|> given me an answer to that simple question much less a tougher one like
the
|> KORE install.
|> Thanks
|>
|> "John Barnes" wrote:
|>
|> > Most printers install with their own install program which asks for
the usb
|> > printer to be plugged in during the program install. You should
cancel the
|> > found new hardware for the printer. Try to install the other items
from
|> > device manager. Some times you can install from there when you can't
get it
|> > to work from the startup found new hardware wizard.

Play

Hardware"

Hardware"

Retarded

Hey Dennis, this machine is a 3gb and since this is a business (I'm a sound
for film composer) machine I just can't go re-imaging/recovering the machine
as easy as say someone with office and some personal software/docs installed.
It takes a full day and 400 gb disk space to install the software I use. Also
there are various (just about all known to mankind) copy protection devices
tied to my hardware for this software to run. Not to mention that some of my
software has a limited number of installs that require requesting via email,
phone or paying extra license fees to install again. Just too much work to go
through for printer, KORE and USB hub functionality on this machine. If I
can't get it fixed I will use the machine as a slave and continue using
Windows XP on my others. This was to be my Vista test machine as I normally
run banks (4-5) computers ethernetted together with proprietary networking
software to achieve up to 256 tracks of Orchestration for a film score.
I do appreciate you taking your time though.
Regards,
Craig

dennis@home

Craig said:
[...]

You need to look at some disk imaging software like paragon or acronis and
an external drive.
You should be able to image the machine in an hour or two.
It sounds like you need to do this anyway if the machine is that important.
If you do rebuild the machine then image it at several stages so if it goes
wrong you don't have so far to recover from.

Hi Darrell, The hot fix didn't work, Thats about it with Vista for me, Thanks
for your help.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Craig,
Your Incache may be corrupted adn the symptoms you are describing would be
very similar.
try this update:

937187 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in
Windows Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver
software for your device"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;937187

See if that allows detection to work again.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWc=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Why don't my USB devices work as in Windows XP?
|> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:02:00 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Yes John, I ahve tried from the device manager to no avail, My point is
this,
|> A legacy usb thumb drive like the Sandisk cruzer should just "work". It
has
|> no software to install and relies on the built in windows drivers. No
one
|> (not MS, HP, This forum, Native Instruments support - no one) so far has
|> given me an answer to that simple question much less a tougher one like
the
|> KORE install.
|> Thanks
|>
|> "John Barnes" wrote:
|>
|> > Most printers install with their own install program which asks for
the usb
|> > printer to be plugged in during the program install. You should
cancel the
|> > found new hardware for the printer. Try to install the other items
from
|> > device manager. Some times you can install from there when you can't
get it
|> > to work from the startup found new hardware wizard.

Play

Hardware"

Hardware"

Retarded

MICHAEL

Craig,

Have you tried this hotfix update?
KB Article Number 936003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;936003
Microsoft has released a cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista. This rollup helps
establish a quality baseline for the USB core components on the Windows Vista operating system.
This rollup supersedes previously-released USB fixes and contains additional high-applicability
USB fixes.

You can go here and request the update.
https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1410&WS=hotfix
Contact Us: Hotfix Request Web Submission Form

-Michael

* Craig:

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Craig,
Your Incache may be corrupted adn the symptoms you are describing would be
very similar.
try this update:

937187 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in
Windows Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver
software for your device"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;937187

See if that allows detection to work again.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWc=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Why don't my USB devices work as in Windows XP?
|> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:02:00 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Yes John, I ahve tried from the device manager to no avail, My point is
this,
|> A legacy usb thumb drive like the Sandisk cruzer should just "work". It
has
|> no software to install and relies on the built in windows drivers. No
one
|> (not MS, HP, This forum, Native Instruments support - no one) so far has
|> given me an answer to that simple question much less a tougher one like
the
|> KORE install.
|> Thanks
|>
|> "John Barnes" wrote:
|>
|> > Most printers install with their own install program which asks for
the usb
|> > printer to be plugged in during the program install. You should
cancel the
|> > found new hardware for the printer. Try to install the other items
from
|> > device manager. Some times you can install from there when you can't
get it
|> > to work from the startup found new hardware wizard.

Play

Hardware"

Hardware"

Retarded