Why does "notify when remote documents are printed" not work?

G

I've tried it in our testbed and on production. I have restarted the spooler after changing the setting. In production, after hours, I tried it to no effect. I'd even restarted the spooler, then logged on at a workstation. No print notification. The workstation is set to "Show informational notifications for network printers" also

In my test environment, I get the same results. I was able to test more and found it works for a domain admin account, though. Piviledge issue? Seems illogical

Any Ideas?

W

Wolf Kirchmeir

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:26:08 -0800, Robert wrote:

=>I've tried it in our testbed and on production. I have restarted the spooler after changing the setting. In production, after hours, I tried it to no effect. I'd even restarted the spooler, then logged on at a workstation. No print notification. The workstation is set to "Show informational notifications for network printers" also.In my test environment, I get the same results. I was able to test more and found it works for a domain admin account, though. Piviledge issue? Seems illogical.Any Ideas?

Try a network NG, this is clearly a network - admin -
permissions issue.

I suggest you describe the network topology, too, ie, is
the printer connected through a print-server, or is it a
stand-alone with its own network card built in, how are the
work stations connected to it, etc.

G

I'll try another group, too, but I'm not sure I see your point on the admin issue, yet. How do you figure it's permission issue? I've not gotten anywhere following that logic yet ( even a print operater doesn't get messages) Our users are not local admins on their XP PC's, but even given this permission a user gets no print job notifications.

Here's the rest of the info you mentioned: The print server is a Windows 2000 server, also a DC in an AD domain. The printers are all HP's with JetDirect cards. Servers are in a separate segment from the client segements, and the printers are in various segments. Clients are using XP Pro.

Thanks in advance
Robert

----- Wolf Kirchmeir wrote: -----

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:26:08 -0800, Robert wrote:

=>I've tried it in our testbed and on production. I have restarted the spooler after changing the setting. In production, after hours, I tried it to no effect. I'd even restarted the spooler, then logged on at a workstation. No print notification. The workstation is set to "Show informational notifications for network printers" also.In my test environment, I get the same results. I was able to test more and found it works for a domain admin account, though. Piviledge issue? Seems illogical.Any Ideas?

Try a network NG, this is clearly a network - admin -
permissions issue.

I suggest you describe the network topology, too, ie, is
the printer connected through a print-server, or is it a
stand-alone with its own network card built in, how are the
work stations connected to it, etc.

W

Wolf Kirchmeir

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:56:05 -0800, robert wrote:

=>I'll try another group, too, but I'm not sure I see your point on the admin issue, yet.

OK, I'm not sure that it is either, except that since it's
one work station that's giving you trouble, it may be that
there is an admin/permission error buried somewhere deep
inside it. (You never know with W2K/XP).

As for network stuff, I know very little about that, which
is why I suggested you should try a newsgroup about
networking -- that's where you'll find the experts you
probably need. Unless of course a network guru happens to
monitor this NG, but my experience with it is that it deals
mostly with standalone PCs and OS + driver issues.

Sorry I can't help you more.

G

Thanks, you've actually enightened me on something that now seems obvious! The MS interface to this newsgroup made it too easy. I had printing on the brain as I searched their list of groups and saw Windows 2000 printing, so viola! I posted there. I'll try a group that is aimed at networked environments

Thanks again
Robert

M

Milton Bliss

Microsoft Knowledge base article 308217 may help.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308217

Robert said:
I've tried it in our testbed and on production. I have restarted the
spooler after changing the setting. In production, after hours, I tried it
to no effect. I'd even restarted the spooler, then logged on at a
workstation. No print notification. The workstation is set to "Show
informational notifications for network printers" also.
In my test environment, I get the same results. I was able to test more
and found it works for a domain admin account, though. Piviledge issue?
Seems illogical.

G

Thanks for the info. Oddly enough, when I'd started researching this problem, the article you mention didn't seem to be out there (even though the article date suggests it would have been) During my testing I noted that once an account started getting the messages as it should, it stuck. I then did a registry export of HKCU on a working and non-working account and found that the key mentioned in the article was not set.

I was very excited and was able to test and validate the fix in our testbed. Yeah! But no luck in production. Booh!

I'm still stuck. Maybe it will just be working in the morning :)

Thanks again,
Robert

Ask a Question