why do my master documents styles seem to have a mind of their own?

mike

I've created a template document with about 5 different styles I want to use
in my document. There are several chapters so I've set up a master document
from the template and inserted each chapter as a separate subdocument. I've
gone through and formatted the whole document (all the chapters) by
expanding all the documents in outline view, changing to print view,
clicking on each paragraph, and applying the appropriate style available to
me through the template. When I save and close, then re-open the document,
all the formatting is gone. Well... not all the formatting... the bullets
and numbering is fine, but all of the paragraph formatting is reverted back
to 'normal'.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks.

TF

Mike

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"mike" <oh> wrote in message : I've created a template document with about 5 different styles I want to
use
: in my document. There are several chapters so I've set up a master
document
: from the template and inserted each chapter as a separate subdocument.
I've
: gone through and formatted the whole document (all the chapters) by
: expanding all the documents in outline view, changing to print view,
: clicking on each paragraph, and applying the appropriate style available
: me through the template. When I save and close, then re-open the document,
: all the formatting is gone. Well... not all the formatting... the bullets
: and numbering is fine, but all of the paragraph formatting is reverted
back
: to 'normal'.
:
:
:
: Anyone know what's going on here?
:
:
:
: Thanks.
:
:
:
:
:

Pat Garard

G'Day Mike,

The sub-docs are probably using the Normal Template.

Make sure that the Normal Template contains ALL the styles
that you are using in your "Master" Template.

Open each sub-doc in turn, and use the Organiser to copy those
styles to that sub-doc.

You could also try attaching your "Master" Template to each
sub-doc.
Pat Garard
Australia