Why do FP Extensions get corrupted?

GerstnerUSA

It seems that any time that I have a problem with my
site, the company that is hosting it says the FP
extensions have been corrupted and they will have to
reload them. I am using FP2000 along with another person
in my office. We make changes daily on our company site,
but never at the same time. All of our updates are made
online, not locally and then published. When the FP
extensions get corrupted, I loose my navagation, web bot
substution, and my saved form responses. When I recently
questioned the tech at my hosting company, he said that
the FP Extensions corrupting are the biggest problem with
FP and that I should change to Dreamweaver to get around
this conflict. My questions are, Why do FP Extensions
get corrupted? Is the tech guy just lazy and using this
as an excuse? Do most people have this problem from time
to time? Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.gerstnerusa.com

Tom Pepper Willett

We have used FP server extensions on our server for years, and never had
corruption.

What specifics did your host say are causing the corruption?

--
-----
Tom Pepper Willett
| It seems that any time that I have a problem with my
| site, the company that is hosting it says the FP
| extensions have been corrupted and they will have to
| reload them. I am using FP2000 along with another person
| in my office. We make changes daily on our company site,
| but never at the same time. All of our updates are made
| online, not locally and then published. When the FP
| extensions get corrupted, I loose my navagation, web bot
| substution, and my saved form responses. When I recently
| questioned the tech at my hosting company, he said that
| the FP Extensions corrupting are the biggest problem with
| FP and that I should change to Dreamweaver to get around
| this conflict. My questions are, Why do FP Extensions
| get corrupted? Is the tech guy just lazy and using this
| as an excuse? Do most people have this problem from time
| to time? Any help would be appreciated.
|
| http://www.gerstnerusa.com

Thomas A. Rowe

If the extensions keep becoming corrupt then the host has issue with how
they have configured their servers and/or extensions.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Vern

I had someone convince me to try their host. I did and
had all kinds of problem with extensions getting
corrupted. I switched back to the other 2 hosts I had
used before and never have 'corrupted extensions'.

Crash Gordon

Personally I think it's a "blanket excuse", any time I've ever screwed up my ext....I think it was after I tried FTP'ing instead of Publishing (JMO)

R.

| It seems that any time that I have a problem with my
| site, the company that is hosting it says the FP
| extensions have been corrupted and they will have to
| reload them. I am using FP2000 along with another person
| in my office. We make changes daily on our company site,
| but never at the same time. All of our updates are made
| online, not locally and then published. When the FP
| extensions get corrupted, I loose my navagation, web bot
| substution, and my saved form responses. When I recently
| questioned the tech at my hosting company, he said that
| the FP Extensions corrupting are the biggest problem with
| FP and that I should change to Dreamweaver to get around
| this conflict. My questions are, Why do FP Extensions
| get corrupted? Is the tech guy just lazy and using this
| as an excuse? Do most people have this problem from time
| to time? Any help would be appreciated.
|
| http://www.gerstnerusa.com

GerstnerUSA

Hi Joe

Would using the File/Import then Add File feature to get
files onto the web server be the same as FTPing?

Thomas A. Rowe

Not if the site is open directly in FP and you are using the FP import
function.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Hi

Used FrontPage 2002 to develop my web. Battled to get my ISP up to scratch for a while.... also battled with "broken" components (Hit Counter) and Navigation Bar components.
Make sure you check your links befor you publish (TOOLS>RECALCULATE HYPERLINKS). If you use the FILE>PUBLISH WEB command, you shouldn't have too much trouble. I eventually switched to Dreamweaver... but still use FrontPage to publish!

Good luc
Davi
www.stylus.co.za

Crash Gordon

Not necessarily.

Are you designing/working on the site on a local copy and then publishing up the the server? If you are use Publish within FP - and not a third party FTP program like WS_Ftp or CuteFTP. (you can use these programs if you are aware of what they can mess up - so don't until you are)

| Hi Joe
|
| Would using the File/Import then Add File feature to get
| files onto the web server be the same as FTPing?

GerstnerUSA

Thanks to all of those who answered this thread. I
appreciate all of the advise. Looks like I'm gonna go
hunt down for some ISP Techies...

Run Forest! Run!!!

GerstnerUSA
http://www.gerstnerusa.com

Used FrontPage 2002 to develop my web. Battled to get my
ISP up to scratch for a while.... also battled
with "broken" components (Hit Counter) and Navigation Bar
components.
Make sure you check your links befor you publish
(TOOLS>RECALCULATE HYPERLINKS). If you use the
FILE>PUBLISH WEB command, you shouldn't have too much
trouble. I eventually switched to Dreamweaver... but
still use FrontPage to publish!!

Brett...

After running FPSE enabled webs on a number of hosts, my own view is that
they can be VERY fragile.

A case in point..
Host Europe are one of the biggest hosting compannies in the UK and are the
sixth fastest growing technology company in Europe.
Yet I've had numerous FPSE corruption problems with them.
And no I don't use FTP etc etc.

Brett