Why can't I play with full screen ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I've just about had my fill of crap pc stuff today.

I got a Dell 24" an a pretty decent pc with XP Pro with all the updates and codecs.

So why when I put a shop bought DVD in me drive can I not see the bloody thing play in full screen.

I got WMP 11 and Zoom Player. Neither of them will let me play the DVD with a full screen . I got large black stripes top and bottom of the screen. Or I can get a nice thick black frame around the whole screen. What I can not get is a picture that fills the whole screen.

So why did I waste me bloody money then cause I can get the same effect on me creppy cheapo 22" TV.

Technology and progress ! Make me laugh. Its all aload of utter twaddle.

:mad:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You can crop it to fit on a 16:9 or 16:10 Monitor.

Plus its supposed to have the lines on it, thats why you brought a WIDESCREEN monitor.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
You can crop it to fit on a 16:9 or 16:10 Monitor.

Plus its supposed to have the lines on it, thats why you brought a WIDESCREEN monitor.

|What do you mean I can "crop" it ?

I bought a widescreen monitor to get rid of the crappy black lines. I can get them for free on me normal tv. This just does not make any sense ???

:confused:

Linux shminux. !! I ain't been there yet flops.

wallbash.gif

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
It should be Zoom player somewhere as that and VLC are the same thing really.

It should get rid of the black lines.

The lines are there because that is what it looks like on film when the movie is made and someone had the idea for everyone to watch a film how it was supposed to be seen.

Play around with the ratio it should be able to fill the screen with the picture.

Edit: Sorry am playing COD4 atm, try setting the aspect ratio to 4:3 or cropping to 4:3.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wide screen goes left to right with a border top and bottom mate

You can probs zoom in to make the borders smaller but doing that you lose right and left sections of the picture much like you would if you zoom in

Black Border
---------------------------------------------------------------

Widescreen Picture

---------------------------------------------------------------
Black Border

If you zoom in you will lose a few inches on left and right edges of picture. It's a sacrifice you make
Much like the closer you are the less peripheral vision you get

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/764

So I just read the article and I see the picture.

So basically we all get ripped of by the bread heads yet again. Who the heck wants to watch a thin picture that they can hardly see. Where is the pleasure in that.

Progress my arse. Modern day tech is just a load of old shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have widescreen monitors.

Playback of DVD's still gives me black lines.

That's the way it is I'm afraid, with PC playback of movies.

You could try right-click >> full screen but you will lose some picture information.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/764

So I just read the article and I see the picture.

So basically we all get ripped of by the bread heads yet again. Who the heck wants to watch a thin picture that they can hardly see. Where is the pleasure in that.

Progress my arse. Modern day tech is just a load of old shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So go back to that giant 26" CRT TV and a VCR with nice chunky function control keys.

Groovy :)

Or buy yourself an LCD/Plasma TV, you'll get full screen option there, cos that's what DVD's are aimed at.

DVD's are not really made for PC playback, despite what some software manufacturers say.

The movie industry distrusts PC users for some reason ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yeah I have .avi widescreen files that I can stretch out in Zoom Player to fill the screen. Does a good job of it too. Can not get it to do the same for DVD's though.

Can I take the files of the dvd and recode them to the pc hdd ?

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Yeah I have .avi widescreen files that I can stretch out in Zoom Player to fill the screen. Does a good job of it too. Can not get it to do the same for DVD's though.

Can I take the files of the dvd and recode them to the pc hdd ?

You can always try ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
True Widscreen is 2.35:1 Your monitor is 16:10.

I watch Blu Rays on my 37" TV and i get the black bars top and bottom, cant bare to zoom the picture, the 2.35:1 is a nice picture to view imo.

if you dont want the black bars then got one of these... :D

http://www.cinematicviewingexperience.com/

77180396_76f56889d9.jpg

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well the best I can get on me 24" screen is, W 20" x H 8.5" with 1.75" black lines top and bottom. The picture quality is fine and looks in proportion yet it looks very odd to watch. Not a nice experience in my book. So I will either have to try recoding or not watch overpriced crappy widescreen DVD's.
They call it an Entertainment Industry, I call it a Cash Cow for Selfish Rip of Artists who could not give a fig for Joe Public.

:rolleyes::eek:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
They call it an Entertainment Industry, I call it a Cash Cow for Selfish Rip of Artists who could not give a fig for Joe Public.

:rolleyes::eek:

You can always make you own films then encode them at whatever resolution you wish.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I could do but it would be much better for society if the dvd manufacurers and film makers had a standard of some sort that actually matched the equipment that 99% of society has.
But why should they. After all cash is what they are interested in not how to make life easier or more pleasant for poor old dumb Joe Public.

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Movie makers make films for a cinema screen, not a domestic TV or a computer monitor.

There have been several links here explaining the whys and wherefores, all of which seem reasonable to me and not designed to rip off Joe Public.

If you want the full experience visit the cinema or buy a suitable TV and trim the picture of some of the viewing information.

You're lashing out at anything connected to the movie industry is akin to a person of younger years throwing an unjustified strop, imo ;)

Did you actually look at V_R's link? Here, I'll quote it for you:

Cinematic Viewing Experience:

We don’t just watch films at the cinema we experience them. The 21:9 aspect ratio of a cinema screen was developed to mimic our own peripheral vision, providing a totally immersive viewing experience.

This immersion is what makes 21:9 cinematic viewing such an all-encompassing experience and why until now it has continued to provide the optimum medium in which to fully enjoy films. Such is its power that we routinely undergo an intensely personal, emotional journey when watching a film in a cinema. It is the experience of ‘losing ourselves’ in a film.

This Cinematic Viewing Experience is extremely difficult to replicate at home. Even the largest conventional TV screen cannot provide the total immersion that we enjoy at a cinema because when it comes to watching a film, the viewing experience isn’t determined by screen size.

Films fill a cinema screen.The images reach right out to the very limits of the screen and of our peripheral vision, enveloping us so completely in the action that we actively ‘feel’ along with the characters in front of us.This cannot be achieved on a conventional 16:9 widescreen TV at home without moving to a ‘letterbox’ view or losing the full scope of the original shot.

Until now. With an aspect ratio of 21:9, the Cinema 21:9 is the world’s first cinema-proportioned LCD TV. In combination with Philips’ Ambilight technology - accurately matching on-screen content to extend the picture beyond the confines of the screen - Cinema 21:9 delivers the most completely immersive home viewing experience possible.

Cinema 21:9. The first TV to deliver a genuine Cinematic Viewing Experience to movie lovers in their own home.

Making sense? Good :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I just lost me 2,000 word reply an can not be bothered to type it again. I did read up on all the links posted by the way.

:)

Ask a Question