Who's a laptop expert?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace my jurassic Sony Vaio soon and was just browsing on Amazon to see what's out there. I really wanted one with about a 13.3" screen and they're all about 1200GBP - 2000GBP.

I came across this one, which is due to be released in about 10 days, it's a core i5 processor and looks pretty good. I was wondering if anyone with a sharper eye for detail can tell me why it's only 700GBP - what am I missing? :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPCY21...ssional/dp/tech-data/B003N195WC/ref=de_a_smtd

Thanks!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's in silver, who in their right mind want's a silver anything. Doh!! :rolleyes:

;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I was looking at this exact model laptop just a few moments ago! I'm also on the lookout for a new one, but perhaps a touch smaller and not quite as expensive.

The specs of that laptop do look very good, and it's very small and light. No doubt some reviews will come out very soon, plus in a few weeks you can go to a Sony shop and have a play on one to see what you think.

I was considering this for a little while:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/broadband/laptops-and-netbooks/buy/ASUS-UL30

It's nowhere near as powerful as the one you linked to, but a good budget model at £350 (small, light and 13.3").

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
It's in silver, who in their right mind want's a silver anything. Doh!! :rolleyes:

;)

I, I've got a silver machine..... duh duh duhduh duh duh...

Sorry bout that, couldn't resist :blush:

The laptop looks like a solid deal to me :thumb: Wot Ian said, basically :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I looked at the spec and could not find the vga card spec so I assume it is built-in and one with shared memory. This could be one of the reasons for the lower price of the unit.

I personally do not like laptops with shared memory vga cards, there is a performance disadvantage to that compared to a dedicated VGA card.

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it looks like a pretty solid buy too. I was wondering if it was a mis-price and worth jumping at, as it's pre-orders at the moment. Don't think I'd go too far wrong with it.

I wanted a netbook like that Ian, as I mainly use it for sitting on the sofa looking at PC Review etc. :)

I was thinking though, might buy something a little more powerful so I can use it for work if necessary too.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You're correct about the graphics chip, Quad - it's an in-built HD graphics chipset. It's not going to run any of the latest games, but it's fine if it's just used for video and normal browsing etc... :)

Bodhi, the price is the same on the Sony website so the price looks correct (hopefully!) :thumb:.

I'll be really interested to see some pics and your thoughts on this if you do go for it!

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the price was the same on the Sony website so I'll maybe wait for it to come out and have a look at some reviews. Will definitely let you know what I end up buying. I'm torn between a netbook and a laptop.

I assume the built in graphics wouldn't make too much of a difference?

Oh, and is the processor a cut down version of the new i5 processors?

muckshifter

Reaction score
bodhi said:
I assume the built in graphics wouldn't make too much of a difference?
You ain't gonna be buying it to play games, or video editing, shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and is the processor a cut down version of the new i5 processors?
No, the i5 is a cut down i7, quite ideal for the netbook. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You ain't gonna be buying it to play games, or video editing, shouldn't be a problem.

No, the i5 is a cut down i7, quite ideal for the netbook. ;)

user.gif

It's not a netbook, it's a laptop. :)

I assume it's quite straight forward with these new processors? i.e. i3 isn't as good as i5, and i5 isn't as good as i7?

muckshifter

Reaction score
aye ... 3 is ok, 5 is better, but wow, 7, now your talking, however, there is a lot more to it than that. Suffice to say, it'll be fine for it's purpose.

Wonder when the i9 is due out. ;)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Wonder when the i9 is due out. ;)

Whats the point of a 6 core i9 right now, most people don't even use the i7 to full capacity...

Ask a Question