which & what protection

R

RB

I'm running an AMD Turion(tm) TL-52 (laptop), which from research says that it has it's own processor
chip protection from buffer overflow attacks. However I need some input.
A few weeks ago I suffered some sort of online attack on my (aforesaid) laptop running XP pro and
BitDefender Security Suite, and also jumped across my wireless lan (Linksys router which is connected
to our cable modem) to our desktop. The desktop suffered "identical" symptoms to my laptop which
were, an immediate reboot which came up to a partial boot, then a blank (not blue) screen and that was
as far as it would get. Further attempts to reboot either unit brought on the exact same scenario. Attempts
to go back to a previous restore point also brought on same said scenario. I was able to retrieve my
important files with the use of a bootable USB stick with a WinPE app on it. However "none" of the several
rootkit removal and antivirus boot kits tried could repair either unit (I downloaded these thru another
uninfected laptop). Also of note was the fact that my wife's laptop running during the attach was unaffected,
it was running Vista instead of XP like the other units. Anyhow to wrap up, I had to do a full reinstall of
everything which was time consuming and now I am searching for all the protection I can find.
I reinstalled my bit defender and also an extra Spyware app and a Rootkit detector and a type of
sandbox that encapsulates my browser (and other apps) into a "non trusted" environment that is under my
control while I'm online. They all are running compatible (so far) with each other. And now I have been reading
about this stack overflow thing. I am wondering if my paranoia is running wild so I am trying to stop and
bring some sort of investigation reality into all of my efforts. At the time of attack I was browsing several sites
(had several instances of MS Iexplorer running) on above ground swimming pool packages. I did get one
message from Bit defender that it had blocked some sort of trojan but then a few seconds later my system went
down.. Appreciate any info or advise as to what direction I should be more concerned with or just whatever
input you want to give. Apologize for extended size of question but wanted to be complete.

F

FromTheRafters

RB said:
I'm running an ... [...] ... to be complete.

Edit - Find - ?
No results found

So.. what *is* your question?

Yes, hardware implemented data execution prevention (or AMD's
equivalent - they do have a different name for it IIRC) is a good thing.

Sandboxing, antimalware applications, antivirus, firewall, alternative
bootable media, rootkit detector(s) - all good things.

....but you fail to mention a good recovery scheme.

Malware is not the *only* thing that can ruin your day - what recovery
plan do you have for a harddrive crash?

I recommend keeping fairly recent disk images with which to speedily
recover from disaster.

Ask a Question