I get "file access denied" errors. Windows says "maybe another person or
program has accessed it...".

Is there a tool which shows me the process which access the file, so I
can kill it?

Thanks in advance

D

David Candy

You can use OH from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Type
oh +otl
reboot
then
oh /t file <filename>
or leave filename blank to see all.

EG to see what program has inbox.dbx open (OE's inbox file)

oh /t file inbox.dbx
which returns

//
// TIME: 2004-03-30 19:50
// MACHINE: SERENITY
// BUILD: 2600
// OH version: built by: dnsrv_dev(v-smgum)
//
//
00000CF0 msimn.exe File 050c \Documents and Settings\David Candy\
Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E6E1A8F2-C885-46A5-975E-94A4A1F8C788
}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx

[Microsoft Internet Mail And News (MSIMN.EXE) is the real name of Outlook Express rather than the marketing name. Office's Outlook internet features is a copy of Outlook Express. OL stole OE's code while OE got OL's name.]

G

There are all sorts of Process viewers out there but that won't really help you as many times the process may be a bit too "cryptic" for you to understand. The ideal tool for what you want is a dandy little tool called Who Lock Me ? . Do and internet search for it. When you then try to open the file and get the access denied you can right click on it and the Who Lock Me ? option is there for you to choose and it will tell you. This may be a little tricky for you though as in most cases it's the explorer.exe which is your iShell desktop and if you end this process you need to know how to open a run command and how to open the Task Manager so you can restart the process after you have deleted what you want. You will need some details as to how to do this so e:mail me if you need a step by step instruction. Good Luck and welcome to XP :~)

Ask a Question