Which media Type do you use and how many...

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
This year, 80 million DVD burners and 10 million DVD recorders will be sold, and each customer will use 40-50 DVD discs a year on average, resulting in an estimated global demand of 3.5-4.5 billion DVD discs in 2005

I know i will be using in excess of 200 DVDR's disks, and i only use one type and they are Datawrite Titanium 8speed, to me these are the best on the market and i have never had a coaster with one of these yet and i burn plenty...They are CMC Magnetics made, so are top quality....

Which media type do you use and how many do you think you will be using this year...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
My burner seems to like the Ritek dye best, and I generally use Arita or Zero Defex with no problems - probably use around 150 a year.

crazylegs - have you seen the latest offer at SVP Communications on your Datawrite Titanium 8x? - £5.99 for 50 (12p a disc). http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
50 disks per year each? I use about 5 :eek: (just for hard drive/document backups).

I mainly use my server for storing files (just a cheap old PC with a couple of hard drives!).

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I haven't checked out your link yet Ady but if thats true and no catches i will order my years worth in one go....I usually pay £15.00 for 50 DVD-R Titaniums so if that price you state is correct i suggest you all get in there quick....:eek:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh yes thanks for that Ady just ordered 2 packs of 50 including post and packing £16.68 get in there.....wouldn't let me order any more than 2 per customer, otherwise i would of ordered 200 of the little beauty's...:thumb:

That little lot normally retails at £30.00 so i'm well pleased i got them virtually half price.....that offer only lasts til 27th july or until stocks last...;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Glad your pleased crazylegs! - shame about only being able to order 2 per customer, but I suppose at that price they would get people like you taking them all:D

I use them alot, the're very efficient with quick delivery and prices always seem to be good, especially the offers....:thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
i used cd-rmedia disks

the best ive come across even with cdr's

check out their site
www.cd-rmedia.co.uk

the only dragback for me was p and p
thaths a real pain, but the prices for the actual media are world class :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had a Pioneer A106 burner for a year or two, got good results with the Ritek purple dye discs.

They had to be the genuine Ritek article though, as I had problems with clones claiming to use the Ritek dye.

I've had problems with datawrite, arita and infiniti. Generally, the cheaper they are, the more problems I've experienced. Had to throw away a whole tub of 25 Infiniti disks, after 4 failed I figured they were rubbish.

I've never had problems with Verbatim or Sony. Ever. So that's what I stick with now. I always use -R disks, btw.

Now I have an NEC dual layer burner, I might try some of these cheaper discs I have lying around and see if the burner makes a difference.

I usually pay around a tenner for a tub of 25 Verbatim or Sony disks at Staples. More expensive, but I don't have to wait at home for a parcel to arrive and I feel confident they won't let me down with a bad burn.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
In reply to your post flopp's, try the Datawrite Titaniums these are a relatively new disk (jan 2005) and are now manufactured at CMC Magnetics (same place as VERBATIM) using only the best top quality media (VERBATIM's) with Titanium inserted into the disk so it will enhance performance and longevity, and the dye used is the VERBATIM dye....After doing my research on these disks i tried a few back in February of this year and was suitably Impressed, after now burning what must be over 200 disks so far i have yet to write a coaster with the Titaniums....

These are VERBATIMS in disguise and at a price premium and are guaranteed AAA+ Grade...

And they look absolutely superb which is a bonus...These are not cheap disks anyway they usually retail at £9.99 for 25 8speed DVD-r and i can normally get hold of 50 for £15.00

So ordering 100 for £16.68 including p&p is fantastic...And just what the doctor ordered as i only have 3 Titaniums left....:eek:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i use phillips CD-RW, JVC CD-R's and Mr. DVD DVD+RW, the JVC and phillips are great for music CD's and transfering big files, and the DVD's seem to work ok for backing up my files

i only use about 15 CD-R's and about 5 CD-RW, and i have 10 DVD's full of backed up files

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs: thanx for the info :)

When I've used this new tub up, I'll try some of those.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update: I just ordered a hundred at £16.68 inclusive.

Offer seemed too good to pass up on :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score

You can say that again...If they are not to your liking flopp's you can sell them on ebay where they go for £15.00 for 50 easily....;)

Reaction score
oh yer i use a pioneer dvdrw drive
its the new one
cant rememeber the model number, but so far always been impressed by pioneer when it comes to dvd rewriting!
:)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Ditto.
Thanks for the link Adywebb. Best thing was I could use my paypal account to pay, which was good as I had a few quid knocking about in there that I hadn't withdrawn :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I bought a packet of 50 ... cheap no-name ... got about 35 left, no problems.

The rate I use 'em maybe they will go past their 'sell by date' ... :D

Thanks for the HUp. :thumb:

Reaction score
I think the original estimate of 150 a year ois about right for me. I have back ups of all my partitions aswell as several software discs, I also have many archival backups of my movies. Using only DVD+r's i have only had a problem with sony's discs. When using them to ghost my partitions They halted anywhere from 50 to 70% through. I now stick with and recommend verbatim and a reasonable cheap memorex, though i have had a few "coasters" with the memorexs

Reaction score
I've always used Datawrite classic 8-speed. Had a few coasters at first but that was because of dodgy firmware. Can't remember the last coaster I had, must be over a year ago.

Reaction score
Some nice suggestions here, just orderd a 100 myself :D

I also have 20 DLT-VS tapes I got from a business shutting down (with my bargain £40 DLT drive!!!). Just hope I don't have to replace them in a hurry! (£30 a pop normally!).

Ask a Question