Which is better - RAM or CPU power?

Reaction score
A cry for help - I'm about to buy a new PC, and I have a shortlist of two:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-052-OK

and

http://chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=18256

The problem: the Chillblast processor is overclocked to 3GHz, with 4GB RAM. The Overclocker’s runs at 3.3GHz, with 2GB RAM - but if I upgrade the Overclockers machine to 4GB RAM, I lose a little on the overclocked Q6600, bringing it down to 3GHz, which is the same as the Chillblast offers. So my question is, which is preferable – an extra 2Gb of RAM, or an extra 0.3GHz on the processor speed? And is the overclocking of the Overclocker’s RAM to “850MHz+” a relevant consideration? As a rough guide, my computing priorities are:

Gaming (50%)

Surfing (30%)

Word processing (20%)

No video editing or photoshopping or anything like that, and little if any downloading of films & music. I need the counsel of clever people such as yourselves. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Only a 64bit operating system will see any RAM over 3GB
XP is limited to reading up to 3GB
Vista is very hungry over RAM & the difference of 300MHz in speed is minimal.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
murdoch said it...

If you're using Vista 64 Bit go for the memory.

If you're using a 32 bit OS, go for the extra CPU power.

Having said that, I note that although the Chillblast machine has higher specs, the OCUK machine has a much better case, monitor and PSU. 500W for the Chillblast machine seems a little underpowered to me.

Hard choice but if pushed I'd probably plump for the OCUK machine.

And I say that favouring Chillblast over OCUK as suppliers.

Reaction score
Thanks chaps - yes, even a comparative novice like me noticed the PSU on the Chillblast is a bit anaemic, so that's a factor. And I don't really have any need for a 64bit OS, so I reckon I'll stick with the 2MB RAM (*slaps forehead for forgetting that a 32bit system doesn't need 4MB*).

I reckon it'll be the OC option fer me - it is ugly as Hell, and really looks like a teenager's gaming rig with its glowy innards and multicoloured keyboard, but its heart's in the right place. My girlfriend will hate it - I'm trying to convince her I can use a PC to learn languages, research family history, write the great novel of our time, etc - and it does really give the game away by looking like what she, I, and anyone reading this knows it actually is: a boy's toy. Oh well. :blush: :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
kged said:
I reckon it'll be the OC option fer me - it is ugly as Hell, and really looks like a teenager's gaming rig with its glowy innards and multicoloured keyboard, but its heart's in the right place.

How dare you - I've got that case :lol:

It's not as garish as the pix would have you believe, just the front and rear fans have blue led's and they're not overpowering.

It's also an excellent case for cooling.

I also have the Logitech G15 keyboard which has blue illuminated keys but again it's very subtle.

And there's nowt wrong with boy's toys our kid - it is our perogative, we gotta have some fun ;)

Ask a Question