    numbers shown in the "Disk Management" function, or a drive letter?

    --
    St. Paul, MN

    Bert, Aug 20, 2012

  2. Bert

    glee Guest

    "Bert" <> wrote in message
    news:XnsA0B557961FE26VeebleFetzer@216.250.188.141...
    > Windows XP Pro SP3
    >
    > Found errors in the system log like this:
    >
    > The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout
    > period.
    >
    > How do I map that to a drive name I'd recognize, like maybe the drive
    > numbers shown in the "Disk Management" function, or a drive letter?

    Yeah, that's always fun to figure out, especially since some systems are
    set up to show SATA drives as tertiary IDE, others as primary or
    secondary IDE, others as SCSI drives, etc.

    See if this is any help to you:

    How to Distinguish a Physical Disk Device from an Event Message
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865

    How to troubleshoot event ID 9, event ID 11, and event ID 15 error
    messages
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690

    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

    glee, Aug 20, 2012

  3. Bert

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:k0tpnp$4np$ "glee" <>
    wrote:

    > See if this is any help to you:
    >
    > How to Distinguish a Physical Disk Device from an Event Message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865
    >
    > How to troubleshoot event ID 9, event ID 11, and event ID 15 error
    > messages
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690

    Thanks; the info I need is probably in there somewhere. This might take
    a little study, although I think I already know which drive is flaking
    out.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Aug 20, 2012