Where is Reg Key to Stop Notification to Microsoft in Beta?

L

LT

The installation process claims there is registry key
that can be cleared to prevent notification to Microsoft
when using the AntiSpy Beta. The user agreement points
this out as well.

After installation, I used the article (don't have the
number) and lo and behold: The key is not in the
Registry.

What can be done?
Thanks,

(e-mail address removed)

A

Andre Da Costa

Go to Options > Settings > AutoUpdate and choose whether you want to prevent
automatic updates.

Andre

B

Bill Sanderson

When you install the program, you can approve or disapprove, "joining"
spynet.com I don't recall the precise wording.

Once installed, this is at Options, Spynet Antispyware Community.

Unchecking this will prevent scan results from being communicated after a
scan.

I don't know whether this will disable the various options to send items
found via the System Explorers, or to send Suspected Spyware Reports--looks
like not.

The other automatic function is the autoupdater.
Thats the first item under options, and you can uncheck all three items to
prevent those automatic contacts.

L

LT

Thanks for both responses.
I'll reply back with the article number --- it never
referred to any GUI feature, but stated fix had to be
done in REGEDIT.

Beta never asked about spynet and spynet wasn't called
out in EULA (okay, I actually read these things before
clicking off).

B

Bill Sanderson

SPYNET=Microsoft.

I don't know how the final branding will go, but that's an underlying reality, I believe.

The EULA does refer to whether PII is transmitted, and I believe mentions that it is optional and clearly labelled. The only PII involved, as far as I can see, is when you go to Tools, suspected spyware report. You have the option of providing a name and email address, which qualify as PII.

The EULA is in the help file. I see this section:

5. FEEDBACK. If you give feedback about the software to Microsoft, you grant to Microsoft, without charge, the right to use, share and commercialize your feedback in any way and for any purpose. You also grant to third parties, without charge, any patent rights necessary for their products, technologies and services to use or interface with any specific parts of a Microsoft software and service that incorporate the feedback. You will not give feedback that is subject to a license that requires Microsoft to license its software or documentation to third parties because we include your feedback in them. These rights survive the termination of this agreement.

and:

7. CONSENT FOR INTERNET-BASED SERVICES. When you install the software, you may choose to obtain updated Potentially Unwanted Software definitions automatically when you connect to the Internet. The software uses the updated definitions to detect new Potentially Unwanted Software. We do not obtain any information that we will use to identify or contact you without your consent through this feature. By installing and using this software, you consent to this feature, unless you choose to not use it or switch it off.

which seem relevant to your concerns.

All in all, I thought the EULA was significantly improved in terms of clarity from others that I have read.

Ask a Question