Where can I state questions for Win2000?

Dear Windowers,

I would like to know where I can place questions for Win2000.

I would like to know how you guys feel about running Win2000 with service
pack 3 on an laptop with 600mhz pentium 3 processor, 2x64=128mb ram, with
"avast" virusscanner, and "zonealarm" firewall.

I have heard before on the newsgroups that with these specs it is now wise
to upgrade this "oldtimer" from win98se to winxp. How do you feel about
win2000?

Grt,
Wing

Dave Patrick

http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...499-daba-488f-937a-b7584e2f486a&lang=en&cr=US

Be sure to apply SP4 and these two below to your new install before
connecting to any network. Internet included. (sasser, msblast)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Then

Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CF-8850-4531-B52B-BF28B324C662&displaylang=en

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Dear Windowers,
|
| I would like to know where I can place questions for Win2000.
|
| I would like to know how you guys feel about running Win2000 with service
| pack 3 on an laptop with 600mhz pentium 3 processor, 2x64=128mb ram, with
| "avast" virusscanner, and "zonealarm" firewall.
|
| I have heard before on the newsgroups that with these specs it is now wise
| to upgrade this "oldtimer" from win98se to winxp. How do you feel about
| win2000?
|
| Grt,
| Wing

Dear David,

thank you for your reply.

What do you mean with "not so good as on 98". Do you mean my machine will
work slower, crash more, can't run as much programs as before, or something
else?

Do you happen to know where I can state questions for Win2000?

Grt,
Wing

Dear Patrick,

thank you for the link. Why is Win2000 newsgroups all "hidden" in the server
part? Is Win2000 different than all the other Windows version in some special
way?

Thank you for the other links as well. I will keep them in mind for when I
decide to install Win2000, instead of WinXp.

As a final little question, why do you sign with "MVP", while this is not
stated behind your username in the newsgroups, like other MVP's?

Grt,
Wing

Malke

wing007 said:
Dear David,

thank you for your reply.

What do you mean with "not so good as on 98". Do you mean my machine
will work slower, crash more, can't run as much programs as before, or
something else?

You will have the same driver/laptop software issues with Win2k as with
XP - make sure your laptop supports Win2k. Some machines run best with
the operating system for which they were designed.

Malke

wing007 said:
Dear Windowers,

I would like to know where I can place questions for Win2000.

For some reason, there is only the Server 2000 group that deals with win2k,
so that is where I post...
I would like to know how you guys feel about running Win2000 with service
pack 3 on an laptop with 600mhz pentium 3 processor, 2x64=128mb ram, with
"avast" virusscanner, and "zonealarm" firewall.

It should run fine, but I would run sp4 instead of sp3, and download all
critical updates via windows update.
I have heard before on the newsgroups that with these specs it is now wise
to upgrade this "oldtimer" from win98se to winxp. How do you feel about
win2000?

On that machine, I would stay away from xp, as it is more of a resource hog
than win2k. I have a Dell laptop w/PII 300mhz, 128MB ram running win2k and it
runs almost as fast as it did with win98SE. I use it for network
troubleshooting and run NetworkView and Ethereal on it and it runs fine.

My opinion on Win2k is that it is the best OS that Microsoft has created to
date. It got a bad rap when server 2k first came out because Microsoft didn't
understand security very well and chose too many "default permits" but other
than that, it is far more stable than XP.

Gordon

wyocowboy said:
For some reason, there is only the Server 2000 group that deals with
win2k, so that is where I post..

There's at least TEN groups under microsoft.public.win2000...........

Gordon

wyocowboy said:
Sure, but you can't get to them using the browser based newsreader.

Another very good reason to NOT use the web access.......unless you are
behind a corporate firewall of course. (But in that case, if you need Usenet
access as part of your job, then IT should give you that access....if not,
than are you playing hookey?)

Gordon said:
Another very good reason to NOT use the web access.......

What are the other reasons? Because it is software written by Microsoft? If
so, I would agree.
unless you are
behind a corporate firewall of course. (But in that case, if you need Usenet
access as part of your job, then IT should give you that access....if not,
than are you playing hookey?)

I haven't found a legacy-type newsreader that I like. All reputable
newsgroups that I use have web interfaces, but with the exception of
Microsoft's, they all work correctly.

Gordon

wyocowboy said:
What are the other reasons? Because it is software written by
Microsoft? If so, I would agree.

I haven't found a legacy-type newsreader that I like. All reputable
newsgroups that I use have web interfaces, but with the exception of
Microsoft's, they all work correctly.

You're confusing FORUMS and Usenet. Forums are web-based discussion groups.
Usenet is a text-based messaging servive, rather like the old bulletin
boards.

Gordon said:
You're confusing FORUMS and Usenet. Forums are web-based discussion groups.
Usenet is a text-based messaging servive, rather like the old bulletin
boards.

Why does Microsoft refer to this web-based interface as their "news group
reader?" and why do they refer to these 'forums' as 'Community Newsgroups?'
Are these Microsoft "forums" not accessible with both the web based interface
and the legacy-tupe newsreaders?

Gordon

wyocowboy said:
Why does Microsoft refer to this web-based interface as their "news
group reader?" and why do they refer to these 'forums' as 'Community
Newsgroups?' Are these Microsoft "forums" not accessible with both
the web based interface and the legacy-tupe newsreaders?

I agree, MS has a lot to answer for. yes these "community groups" are
accessible with a web interface, but what you are actually seeing, is a
web-based version of USENET newsgroups.

Gordon said:
I agree, MS has a lot to answer for. yes these "community groups" are
accessible with a web interface, but what you are actually seeing, is a
web-based version of USENET newsgroups.

Yes, I was aware of that. The previous version of the newsgroup web reader
listed the fully resolved names of their groups.

My point was that Microsoft is probably not the only one doing this. I
suspect that over time, more newsgroups will also have web interfaces.

Gordon

wyocowboy said:
Yes, I was aware of that. The previous version of the newsgroup web
reader listed the fully resolved names of their groups.

My point was that Microsoft is probably not the only one doing this. I
suspect that over time, more newsgroups will also have web interfaces.

This is where Usenet, forums and mailing lists blend into one grey sludge!

Dear Windowers,

thank you all for your input. I will take them into account.

Grt,
Wing