where can I find a template access 2007 for Employees/HR?

T

TaxTech740

We have 50 employees between 2 offices and I want to move up from using
Excel. Is there a template in 2007 Access for the usual First Name, Last
Name, DOB etc?

K

KARL DEWEY

If you are satisfied with the layout you have in Excel then why not just
import it into Access and Access will build you a table including field names
using you worksheet first row column names.
One caution, any field that must be text should not have something the looks
like a number in the first data row as Access will make that field (column) a
number field. Use a dummy row of data if necessary.

Reaction score
The Microsoft Office Marketplace has an Microsoft Access 2007 HR Template listed - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM102878391033.aspx?CategoryID=CE010171851033

The Access based software has a Full Source Code Edition available that includes all code and the ACCDB file. Apart from customizing it yourself, the Full Source Edition comes with FOUR hours of free consultation/customization time.

It can easily be modified for different Countries / Regions.

Thanks,

Mark
HR Data Manager

Reaction score
I thought I would revisit this old post knowing there are a number of people out there looking for and Access based HR Solution in the Small & Medium sized business world.

What has really amazed me is the number of people using Excel to manage their HR Data. Regardless of the platform used to manage your data - the database design and ensuring referential integrity is the foundation.

For those using Excel...

Spreadsheet Hell! Do you need an HRIS?

It is not all that uncommon even in medium sized organizations to see all the HR Data managed in Excel spreadsheets. A spreadsheet for basic information, one for pay information, one for evaluations, the list goes on and on and the data never seems to match up perfectly between spreadsheets. John Smith is in this spreadsheet, so why wasn’t he added to the other one. Why is the name spelled one way in one spreadsheet and another way in the other. Oops! There was a typo on Mary’s employee number, so it is different in that spreadsheet.

I call this Spreadsheet Hell! While spreadsheets are a great place to look at and manipulate data, they are not meant to take the place of a relational database. Spreadsheets are prone to human error and make storing related data very difficult.

HRIS Systems using a relational database as a foundation are designed to ensure “referential integrity”. This means that related data is tied together by keys and it is not possible to have a compensation record for Johnny if he does not have a parent record with his base information. The two are tied together. An HRIS system also utilizes dropdowns and programming logic to ensure data accuracy and consistency.

If you still love to look at your data in spreadsheets, most HRIS Systems can export specified data to Excel where you can analyze it and play with it while the data remains safely stored in the HRIS’s database.

Aside from tying all the data together and ensuring referential integrity, the HRIS allows you to run a number of predefined or adhoc reports and filter data to get at exactly what you need whether it is as simple as a birthday listing or summarizing data into an EEO Analysis by Department.

Mark
HR Data Manager

Ask a Question