When will there be multiple-user support added in a future versio.

I am launching a outlook exchange 2003 for our corporation and BCM Business
Contact Manager was a big hit but...you can't share the data i.e
opportunities, accounts, product lists etc on the exchange server because
this is a single user product. So...multiple-user support to be added in a
future version of BCM. ??

Patricia Cardoza [Outlook MVP]

Yes, however details on exactly how it will operate are sketchy at this
time.

--
Patricia Cardoza
Outlook MVP

http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza
http://www.cardozasolutions.com

"multiple-user support for BCM" <multiple-user support for
news:[email protected]...

Luther

Multiuser works in the v2 beta.

Basically up to five users can share a single database. BCM updates
every BCM user's PC when the database changes. I've seen data
immediately updated in a BCM folder view when another user changes a
field.

Thank you for the quick response. So...this database does not reside on the
exchange server? If this database resides on an individual PC then would I
have to grant sharing permissions? Is this 5 concurrent users. Can I have
over 5 users update a database like this from a VPN? Where can I get v2 beta?

Allan Carter

Will this work when I install the exchange 2003 server at the company. I read
on a blog that BCM does not work with exchange. Is this true? Currently our
email is hosted on a POP3 account but we are moving towards more
collaboration features i.e. calendar sharing so we need the exchange server
to do that. Will I lose BCM and the future of BCM sharing by upgrading to
exchange?

Allan Carter

Will BCM work with exchange server 2003? Will BCM v2 beta work with exchange
server 2003?

Allan

Patricia Cardoza [Outlook MVP]

BCM v2 beta will not work with Exchange Server unless you apply the patch
and registry modification that works for BCM v.1.

--
Patricia Cardoza
Outlook MVP
Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference
Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003

http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza
http://www.cardozasolutions.com

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

No, BCM will work with Exchange - and currently works with SBS2003.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Luther

The db is on a BCM user's PC. The db is similar to v1, with the added
feature that users can now give specific users permission to use the
db. Those "shared users" pick the shared db when they use BCM for the
first time, instead of creating their own private db.

Shared dbs are expected to share 5 concurrent connections. I believe
this is an MSDE feature and not set by BCM itself.

Can the db can be shared over VPN? I think the answer is: it depends. A
private db is hidden by the Xp SP2 firewall. The act of sharing the db
also opens up access to the db through the firewall. Whether a VPN user
can then see the db or only users behind the LAN's hub or only users in
the same sub-net (those are firewall features), I don't know. I don't
find that documented.

I suspect users can tweak the firewall settings, just as other users on
in this newsgroup have got around the 5 user limitation by moving from
MSDE to licensed SQL Server, and have figured out how to customize
forms. The BCM docs are silent on such things.

This has been the basis of my discussion on this forum when I found out it
does not work without the "hack" additional system registry entries that are
not supported by microsoft. See link below

http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/bcm.htm

If there is a newer version out that will work without the "hack" please
point me to that so I can update my app. My concern was that I could not
share this app because it would not let me create the database on any other
location other than my local drive for sharing this data and then I found out
it does not work at all with an exchange server with any support from
microsoft.

I am hoping to find people like yourself that have this product knowledge so
I can move forward with this tool in a more collaboritve environment.

Thank you

Allan Carter (CIO)

CIOman said:
Will this work when I install the exchange 2003 server at the company. I
read
on a blog that BCM does not work with exchange. Is this true? Currently
our
email is hosted on a POP3 account but we are moving towards more
collaboration features i.e. calendar sharing so we need the exchange
server
to do that. Will I lose BCM and the future of BCM sharing by upgrading to
exchange?

Allan Carter

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

The current version requires the hack - you'll need to wait for the next
version.

The hack and lack of support for Exchange is a non-issue IMHO. It works just
fine with either SBS2003's Exchange server or a 'normal' exchange server and
once it's working, support may not be needed. Not being able to move or
share the database is a bigger problem, and one that is not easily solved
right now.

--

CIOman said:
Will this work when I install the exchange 2003 server at the company.
read
on a blog that BCM does not work with exchange. Is this true? Currently
our
email is hosted on a POP3 account but we are moving towards more
collaboration features i.e. calendar sharing so we need the exchange
server
to do that. Will I lose BCM and the future of BCM sharing by upgrading
exchange?

Allan Carter

:

No date has been announced, but I'd speculate it will be sometime in
2005.
Beyond that I have no idea.

--
Patricia Cardoza
Outlook MVP
Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference
Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003

http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza
http://www.cardozasolutions.com

What is the proposed date of release for this?

Allan

: