When Vista "Explorer" freezes, cannot open task manager, who needs flip?

recurr

I was using Vista Ultimate and once again, the "explorer" component
has frozen or crashed or hour glassed or something to the point that
task manager doesn't even open and I'm going to have to hold the power
button down to restart the computer.

This time I was searching for and in files over the network in another
computer's shared folder. The first couple of searches searched and
worked. The last search took some time, but I let the address/progress
bar pass the refresh/cancel button before I cancelled the search.
After that, I try to just go back to another folder location and it
doesn't. Try, try, try and the explorer window gives me three options
and I chose to close the program.

Now "explorer" or dwm or whatever it is, takes the taskbar with it and
I have two non-explorer applications windows open. I try to browse the
file system through one of the application via Open dialog box and
that application is frozen with the O cursor.

Ctrl+Shift+Esc doesn't give me task manager. Alt tab has reverted to
the XP like rectangular icon switch. Flip 3D works with the two frozen
application windows left open. Ctrl+Alt+Del comes up and I try the
task manager option and it doesn't come up. Winkey + U works. Shift*5
works.

Finally, I was able to switch user and the user's desktop comes up and
its "explorer" and taskbar comes up, but then I try to log off and
Vista is still stuck Loggging off... while I'm typing this post.

The sleep button made Vista fade to black. Now how do I wake it up?
Num lock toggles.

The computer woke up and it's still trying to log off.

Why is this Vista so buggy? Is it just me? Is it the OEM installation
of Vista? I feel like I have to do a clean reinstall without the other
junk. Why can't I at least open task manager and run explorer if
you're going to fall apart on me?

recurr

Related post:

"Vista does not crash gracefully, it falls flat on its face. this will
make another funny Apple TV commerical"
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...bf45/2a3010563a8d08fd?&hl=en#2a3010563a8d08fd

"Programs that stop working are a fact of life. Ever since XP came
out
applications are suppose to run in their own "protected" memory space
so if they crash, they don't take down the whole system with them.
Operative word, that's how it USED TO BE."

"Vista does not crash gracefully, it falls flat on its face. I can
live
with a application crashing. By the way its "Vista Ready" or so it
claims. "

"I thought the days of Windows crashing due to a hung application
were
pre XP vents. I guess Microsoft brought the good old days back."

recurr

Found another related post by searching for keywords: task manager
with Google Groups while Vista is still logging off...

"Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working"
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/msg/cea1ad65d643ed89?hl=en&

"And a workaround that worked for a while was to quickly try to log
out
when this occurred. That would cause another MS program crash, and we
could
then cancel that and return to the user account with Explorer then
working."

"This is a known problem for me at least. If the Start menu stops
working,,
favorites or Qiick lannch we do have a problem. My PC is home built.
There
have been others that have had a simular problem."

recurr

Another somewhat related post.

Is VISTA still in "pre-release"
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/msg/175b76196d728c3d?hl=en&

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
From: SAR <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:25:01 -0800
Subject: Is VISTA still in "pre-release"

"Ever since Windows 98, I have always purchased the new OS as soon as
it was
released (in fact, I actually use the Beta versions of 98). It seems
that all
of the previous versions of Windows seemed to work smoother than VISTA
does.
In Vista, I get a lot of "not responding" (these sometimes change to
respond
and back again--very frustrating especially since the programs that I
am
using so far are the MS Office 2007 and the Sprint WAN program that
came
installed on my computer to allow me to use Sprint's Broadband
service."

Shane Nokes

Short answer. OEM's are preloading a bunch of junk in advance that causes
issues.

To be perfectly frank this happened with XP & ME & 98 & 95 as well.

I had an old gateway back in 01 (ordered it a few months before XP came out)
that had AOL installed as part of the OEM package and it borked ME's network
stack so as to not allow anything other than a dial-up networking
connection.

The part that made me laugh even harder was the restore CD that was
supposedly a stock standard ME CD seemed to have one extra application
installed by default.

You guessed it, it was AOL, so for months it was either run the XP betas, or
use ME and only have dialup.

What I ended up doing was buying an ME upgrade CD for cheap and using that
with my old retail Windows 98 CD from an older computer I no longer used to
just have ME up and running.

I ended up picking up XP RTM not long after due to being a tester.

I'm having similar problems!!

I'm writing about VISTA, preloaded on a brand new Hewlet Packard, purchased
last week. The computer belongs to an elderly woman who wants it mostly for
e-mail, household budgets & word processing. (It's FAR too much for her
needs).

The only application added since it was taken out of the box and plugged in,
is activation of her AOL account. (She's still using dial-up, though I've got
her highspeed coming soon). No other applications have been added (though we
need a driver for her Lexmark printer B/C M$ doesn't supply it ). She's
having a similar problem, with the computer locking up. Yet the only thing
she does is click on AOL, then read her e-mail. But Vista is locking up
**daily**. When I tried to check Task Manager, it would not even open -- we
got the error message "low system resources". It wouldn't shut down. I had to
hard boot the computer to shut it off, then run system restore, then
re-activate her AOL.... I can't keep going over and doing this everyday!

I thought part of the problem may be that it's trying to acess the internet
to search for a driver for the lexmark, OR to 'register', update security
files, etc... So I set those security things to off for now. What else can we
try? It's not an application thing, b/c she's added no apps (not even a word
processor). Friggin M$ doesn't provide ANY help literature, or even
explanation as to basics for running the system.

Some other forums I've checked say that it's a hardware/application software
issue -- Vista is too advanced & things have to catch up. But this came
pre-loaded... To me, it sure seems like another example of Microsoft
designing for designers and not basic users. Those PC/MAC ads have far more
resonance for me now (and I've been using PCs and Windows since the 80s).
Grrr.

Your sage advice much appreciated!

recurr

I was copying files from an XP computer to Vista over the network and
copying just freezes so I try to wait. The animation keeps going, but
the statistics are the same. I try click to cancel and it doesn't
work. I have to kill explorer.exe and it doesn't work. explorer.exe
will not die! Now I'm trying to shutdown, but it's stuck on Logging
off... I can press the moon key on my keyboard and it'll go into
standby or sleep, but it won't shut down! I can come back from sleep
or standby and it's still trying to log off!

What is going on with Vista? Is there a fix for this? Why can't I
transer files in peace!

recurr

I think it started with this warning.

TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected
local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote
endpoint. This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are
opened and closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to
be used and forcing TCP/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing
connection. To minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP
standard requires a minimum time period to elapse between successive
connections from a given local endpoint to a given remote endpoint.

icrosoft product: Windows Operating System; Version: 6.0.6000.16386;
ID: 4227; Event Source: Tcpip;