Whats the best erasing software???

Reaction score
Hi,
I am passing my computer on and would like to make sure its clean of data. Which is the best erasing software which will be the most thorough?

I am able to pay for software which is good enough/worth it.

Any recommendations please?

Khumbu

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you are passing the PC on it won't be possible to make sure you have removed traces of everything without formatting your PC and starting from scratch :) Technically speaking it would still be possible even then to recover data - but only in extreme cases!

If you format the PC you will lose all data - so you would have to re-install windows again. I think this is the best option though :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
khumbu8000 said:
Hi,
I am passing my computer on and would like to make sure its clean of data. Which is the best erasing software which will be the most thorough?
A 6lb lump hammer ... no, really, it is the only true method of "cleaning" a HD of data ... smash it up. :thumb:

I am able to pay for software which is good enough/worth it.
OK, you need the HD, then just do a clean install ... the person receiving the PC will not have the knowledge to restore your files, will they? ;)

:D

Reaction score
And why wouldn't they? They aren't buying a computer from you to take your files...but to use it for own purposes.
I know sometimes security is good option but don't get too paranoic.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

happywave.gif

Ask a Question