What's in WD-40?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was having a conversation with a friend and the subject of cleaning volume pots came up.

We were both aware WD-40 was not suitable for this function as although it did initially give results it left a film which attracted dust and eventually made the problem worse.

Just for the record a suitable cleaner for cleaning pots is Servisol Super 10, available from Maplins, amongst other places.

There's a lot of hype surrounding WD-40 most of which are beneficial to sales of WD-40 but basically it's just a water repellant. WD-40 stands for 'Water Displacement 40th attempt'.

And this is what it's made of:

Goop

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Interesting little story. :nod:

They were obviously very persistent - not getting it right till the 40th attempt.

Just think, if they'd got it right on the first or the 597th attempt. WD-1 or WD-597 just doesn't have that ring to it. :D

Reaction score
Used to use WD40 are the cars hinges until i got told to buy a pot of castrol grease, this being a lot better & more reliable than WD40.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
WD-40 is highly corrosive and should not be used on electronics. One of the best products out there for cleaning electronics likes of volume pods and connectors is CRC contact cleaner, many professionals I know use that and I was introduced to it over two decades ago. It is safe and does the job extremely well.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for that Quad, I've noted the product and here's a link:

CRC Contact cleaner

At fifteen quid + VAT a tin it should be good :eek: That's about three times the price of Servisol btw.

I've used Servisol for 25 years now and it's always been satisfactory but I may very well get some CRC when my current tins expire (I have one at home and one in my toolbox).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting link Flops. My grandad asks me every month if I've sprayed under the car bonet with WD-40 to keep the components rust free - so it's interesting to see how it actually works!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Thanks for that Quad, I've noted the product and here's a link:

CRC Contact cleaner

At fifteen quid + VAT a tin it should be good :eek: That's about three times the price of Servisol btw.

I've used Servisol for 25 years now and it's always been satisfactory but I may very well get some CRC when my current tins expire (I have one at home and one in my toolbox).

I am very surprised at the high price in UK, I would urge you to check more before buying. In the US it is very cheap comparatively.

CRC QD Contact Cleaner

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quad, the products you and I have linked to are different. Your product doesn't appear to be available in the UK and my product seems to be the 'high purity' version of the same contact cleaner, which probably explains the high price. I did manage to find it a little cheaper at £12.50 + VAT btw.

Interestingly a Google search lists the CRC cleaner listed at both the Servisol and Ambersil sites which may suggest all three companies come under one conglomerate.

Both Servisol and Ambersil are well known names in the electronics servicing industry, they both make a whole variety of cleaning products, many of which are not normally available in high street outlets.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Interesting link Flops. My grandad asks me every month if I've sprayed under the car bonet with WD-40 to keep the components rust free - so it's interesting to see how it actually works!

I spray my motorcycle with it every winter when I stand it down for the winter. WD 40keeps the chrome clean and the electrics free from damp. It does wash of so is not really very good for keeping rust from working vehicles. A bit of old oil on a rag and wiped on rust spots under the bonnet or any type of grease is a much better bet. WD is very good for HT leads and such on petrol cars though and helps greatly in damp condidtions.

I don't know about WD for fine electronics but I have been using it on vehicles since I was 17 and it has never caused any corrosion problems.

nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I spray my motorcycle with it every winter when I stand it down for the winter. WD 40keeps the chrome clean and the electrics free from damp. It does wash of so is not really very good for keeping rust from working vehicles. A bit of old oil on a rag and wiped on rust spots under the bonnet or any type of grease is a much better bet. WD is very good for HT leads and such on petrol cars though and helps greatly in damp condidtions.

I don't know about WD for fine electronics but I have been using it on vehicles since I was 17 and it has never caused any corrosion problems.

nod.gif

WD-40 has many excellent uses, I use it a lot. It does keep HT leads under the bonnet from damp but take my advice and don't spray those leads with the engine running. I did once, WD-40 is volatile as a spray - stray spark - fireball - uncle flops' mouth open in shock :eek:

It's also very good for cleaning off pyro and fp200 fireproof cable after installation, I often use it for that.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
WD-40 has many excellent uses, I use it a lot. It does keep HT leads under the bonnet from damp but take my advice and don't spray those leads with the engine running. I did once, WD-40 is volatile as a spray - stray spark - fireball - uncle flops' mouth open in shock :eek:

laughingsmiley.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
... but take my advice and don't spray those leads with the engine running. I did once, WD-40 is volatile as a spray - stray spark - fireball - uncle flops' mouth open in shock :eek:

Duly noted :D

:lol:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
My Grandad insisted if it needed repair then a little spit was all that was required, he ate Lard sarnies and dripping butties and he lived to a ripe old age...cmon folks who needs technology ....WD40 when he was a boy...no way...leftover lobby juice :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
This post from 5 years ago also has reference to WD-40 and worth a read for those who missed it back then :D

Link

Ask a Question