Windows XP what tasks are nessesary?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
What Background Tasks are really nessessary? which ones are the "vital" ones.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It depends on your system really, but explorer.exe is a must ;)

There are often things like Real Player and other non-essential things loading up on startup, so those are fine to remove.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Let it alone ... you won't do much to improve your system

Anything under your name can be a non-essential 'task' ... everything Windows does is essenanlly needed.

As you can see by mine, there is a lot going on with Norton/Symantec ...

As a general rule, if you have 512mb ram, don't worry about it ... unless you suspect something.

Attachments

• services.jpg
    services.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
hey i have alot more than your going and the must be slowing my pc down have nothing on my start up menu do you want a screenshot?

muckshifter

Reaction score
betty02 said:
hey i have alot more than your going and the must be slowing my pc down have nothing on my start up menu do you want a screenshot?

Sure, why not.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
does MS antispware thing get Adware too? I have the same problem with the family computer, there is a ridiculous amount of processes going on but Mcfee doesnt detect any spy or ad ware. ohh by the way there are 60+ process going on at any given time!!:eek:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Alf, 60 processes seems too many ...

I can highly recommend anybody who uses XP to download and run MS Anti-Spyware (don't forget they never wrote the program in the first place)... and using the default settings is also recommended.

MS A-S will not bother too much with benign cookies, so I recommend Spy Sweeper and/or Ad-Aware SE also, but disable Spy Sweeper's "start with Windows" and just run as needed.

You also NEED SpywareBlaster ... any PC not running SpywareBlaster is a fool.

Ian has a linkie in his post to my article, have a read, it's worth it.

:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Oh ... and I personally consider Mcfee to BE a virus in its own right. :eek:

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll let you guys into a little secret - I'm working getting a mirror of a startup tasks list from the net. It basically explains what each task is so you know what to do about it. The anti-spyware applications are the primary defence, but this should give you an insight as to what is running.

The beta is running at : https://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup (It really is a beta, so don't expect it to work properly for a few days ;))

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just out of interest...

I hadn't run AdawareSE V1.05 for a few days, I updated it this morning, there was an update file available today.

I linked to Spy Sweeper (cost - £20.95 per year) and ran their online test. My risk, according to Spy Sweeper, was low. It found 28 adware cookies and nothing else.

I then ran AdAwareSE (cost - nowt) and it found 30 cookies, removed them, then I deleted the backup file. That's two more cookies found by AdAwareSE (free) than Spy Sweeper (costs money).

Similarly, AntiVir defeats viruses and Trojans just as effectively as Nortons. Antivir is free, Nortons cost around £40.00 for about 18 months worth of protection.

What I can't figure out is - why do people pay money for programs when free ones are available. Does shelling out hard earned cash make you think the product is better? Does paying for something offer more peace of mind and security?

Does a fancy GUI make you feel better?

I don't understand.

If there were no free programs available, I'd willingly pay for software to protect my system. But there are free ones available. And they work.

Man, I is confused for sure... :confused:

Also, I would agree with Mucks when he states McAffee isn't particularly too good.

And Ian, good idea, that could be very very useful indeed.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
all my antivirus and anti spy/adware was all free from a few computing magazines.:)

Reaction score
i have downloaded the MS antispware and it does not take the process level down mine is now 57 and it sometimes goes upto 67 when im not running anything what so everi have Mcfee and also norton internet security none of them work although the MS antispware bought my CPU usage down from constant 100% which is great its just the processes :( also i visited this https://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup and i have hundreds of processes there but just internet up and there were hundreds that were bad with the X sign so would i end those processes or will it mess with my PC?

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Floppy, Spy Sweeper has a 'real-time' scanner/protection just like MSAS.

MSAS when it was owned by Giant was not free either, but cost a lot more, now it is free ... now, as I have already paid for my subscriptions with Spy Sweeper, I may as well use it ... however, Spy Sweeper repeatedly beats Ad-Aware at detecting 'real' threats and both repeatedly beat SBS&D.

You know as well as I do that cookies are really quite benign.

I’m just trying again to point out what is best … it’s then up to the individual whether they what to ‘pay for it’ or not.

;)

Ask a Question