What sysprep actually does?

William Stokes

Hello

I've been playing with sysprep for a few days now and I'm starting to wonder
what features to application actually has. Is there some documentation about
ALL the features?

At first I thought that it's purpose was just cleat SID's and prepare PnP
for cloning but there seems to be other features too that I would like to
know about. Features like setting the systemwide default e-mail client back
to Outlook Express, creating Windows Media Player icons all over the system,
copying local admin profile to default user profile and propably some
more...

Theres also something else that sysprep does. I noticed when I created an
image from one PC without running sysprep and one after sysprep that there's
25% difference in the image file size. The image file was about 2000Mb
without sysprep and about 1500Mb with sysprep.

Thanks
-Will

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello William
The media player icons as well as some others should be able to be
controlled via unattended settings.
Refernce this article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328326

The copying of administrator's profile to default user is an SP2 item,
older versions of sysprep would do the same thing. It's part of
syssetup.dll, this was supposed to happen in Windows XP when it was
released. Renaming the administrator account may also resolve the issues.
It only copies the "administrator" profile
this is the link to the article that refernces the QFE:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887816

I don't recall if sysprep cleans the hiberfil or pagefile or any of the
temp folders, inlcuding service pack temp folders which may reduce the size
of the image,
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "William Stokes" <[email protected]>
<Subject: What sysprep actually does?
<Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:31:16 +0200
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Hello
<
[...]

Thanks for the tips.

I tested this tip in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328326

"To remove access by using Sysprep

To remove access to Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Media
Player, and Windows Messenger by using Sysprep:

1. Add a [Components] section to the Unattend.txt file that contains the
following options:

[Components]
OEAccess = Off
WMPOCM = Off
WMAccess = Off

2. Add the following command line to the [GuiRunOnce] section of Sysprep.inf
before you run Sysprep:

[GuiRunOnce]
sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:unattend.txt /q /r /c /x"

But the Media player icon in still all over the user profile.

I am not sure if I used the Unattend.txt corretly. I just added the
GuiRunOnce part to Sysprep.inf and created Unattend.txt to the Sysprep
folder with section:
[Components]
OEAccess = Off
WMPOCM = Off
WMAccess = Off

Is this the right way to do this? If this is then there must be something
else wrong because this didn't remove the Media player shortcuts.

Thanks
-Will

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
[...]

<From: "William Stokes" <[email protected]>
<Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:31:16 +0200
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Hello
<
[...]

Hmm this should be working, I know other people have done this using that
article.
Is this after the reboot( after mini-setup)
All profiles retain the icons or just newly created profiles contain the
icons? Neither should but it may help to isolate why.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "William Stokes" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: What sysprep actually does?
<Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:14:24 +0200
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Thanks for the tips.
<
[...]
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <[email protected]> kirjoitti
<viestissä:[email protected]...
<> Hello William
<> The media player icons as well as some others should be able to be
<> controlled via unattended settings.
<> Refernce this article
<> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328326
<>
<> The copying of administrator's profile to default user is an SP2 item,
<> older versions of sysprep would do the same thing. It's part of
<> syssetup.dll, this was supposed to happen in Windows XP when it was
<> released. Renaming the administrator account may also resolve the
issues.
<> It only copies the "administrator" profile
<> this is the link to the article that refernces the QFE:
<> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887816
<>
<> I don't recall if sysprep cleans the hiberfil or pagefile or any of the
<> temp folders, inlcuding service pack temp folders which may reduce the
<> size
<> of the image,
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> <From: "William Stokes" <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:31:16 +0200
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment