What PSU?

Reaction score
I'm trying to build a PC with some parts I already have and others that I'll buy...It will be used for harddisk audio recording and so, silence is not only important on the environment, but also I would like to acquire low electrical noise...less radio frequency interference possible...(?)...On the other hand I don't know for sure the power I need...the parts I have/I intent to purchase are:
-Gigabyte GA8-TX motherboard (already have)
-Intel P4 1800Mhz 423CPU (already have)
-PC Silent miditower
-2X40GB IBM 7200 hard drives (incl. silent drive-silent systems http://www.silentpc.nl/prod04.htm)
-Matrox G450 dualhead graphic card (already have)
-Digidesign Audiomedia 3 audio card (already have)
-2X512MB Kyngston RAM
-SCSI adapter card
-Firewire adapter card
-CDRW
-floppy drive
-PSU (???)
...Zalman, Q-technologie, Evotec, Enermax???..should have only one fan, for less noise.
-CPU cooler (???)
...thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, I have some trouble with a couple of your "components"
However, most SCSI drive spindle speeds are higher than 5400 rpm and therefore are not generally considered compatible with SilentDrive™.
"NOT generally considered compatible" ... you have opted for 2 x IBM 7200rpm HD's these are IDE? Personally I would not put any HD in such an enclosed space.

The question I ask is why "silence" is so important? Are you going to record using a microphone? Sorry, not trying to be funny here just trying to understand your predicament.

Ok, going back to your original question a power supply of at least 350-450 watts, maybe even a 550 would suite your needs amicabley. However, ensure as you’re using a P4 that it IS P4 ready and include the extra power cables. As for the fans I have Enermax in two of my systems both have TWO whisper-quite fans.

Maybe Flopps could advise a little better as he is our resident Audio buff. :D

Mucks

Reaction score
...silence...

Thanks for your advise. The SCSI card I want to include is for communicate with other external devices I have. The internal drives (IBM) will be IDE. The silence is important precisly for that reason you mention...sometimes it shall be necessary to record with a microphone and I don't have a recording room. But what worries me most is the RFI (or something like that), the electrical noise transmited by the power supply cables and that goes directly to the recorded stuff..! Regarding the necessary power, I think you're right and I won't risk the 300W...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ah, I understand a little better.

With no "sound room" you may get very frustrated with "live" recordings, however, all is not quite lost; seek out a microphone that can do some of the work for you. Now this is not going to be cheap, expect to pay around £100 + just for the mike. :eek:
Maybe cheaper to build your own sound room, it’s amazing what egg box cartons can do to dampen sound.

RFI ... now that’s another matter, it should not be much of a problem in the computer as long as you bear in mind where you run the cables and what "extra shielding" you may need. One that springs to mind is "ferrite rings" and they can be bought cheap enough at Maplins or the like.

Good luck and keep us up to date. :D
Mucks

Reaction score
As one who has been a few computer based recording studios I think you will find no interference from your PSU.

The interference would be the PSU interacting with any mics you are using because they are imbalanced on a leg of power. (cant remember if thats a problem with your power system over in Europe though)

Worst case would be to buy a line conditioner for your computer to isolate it.

In terms of silence the easiest way is to simply put the computer in its own cupboard that is vented to another room for cooling. I have seen this done several times.

I assume that your 2 IBM drives are for your data. I am also assuming they are in RAID 0 (striping) IF this is the case I would recomend a third drive as the OS drive. As you will be filling and deleting your data drives (the IBM ones) often it offers a bit more safety factor. its easier and much less error prone if you format the data drives at the start of a new project. I have a friend who runs his studio like that.

Do keep us up on how the studio and computer goes though.

TheHeretic

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
I have an antec 400 watt power supply very quiet ,the fan in the power supply increases its spped only when needed nd its P4 compatible, with 2 floppy power plugs and six of the cdrom hdd plugs and lots of extra length.

wildone

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
I had to post this too ,I took my antec apart because for me(an overclocker) I didnt have enough juice on the +3.3 rail so I adjusted the pot and here are my results ,before my 3.3 was at 3.21 now just look at the pic.:roll:

Attachments

• volts.jpg
    volts.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
psuchotik said:
I'm trying to build a PC with some parts I already have and others that I'll buy...It will be used for harddisk audio recording and so, silence is not only important on the environment, but also I would like to acquire low electrical noise...less radio frequency interference possible...(?)...On the other hand I don't know for sure the power I need...the parts I have/I intent to purchase are:
-Gigabyte GA8-TX motherboard (already have)
-Intel P4 1800Mhz 423CPU (already have)
-PC Silent miditower
-2X40GB IBM 7200 hard drives (incl. silent drive-silent systems http://www.silentpc.nl/prod04.htm)
-Matrox G450 dualhead graphic card (already have)
-Digidesign Audiomedia 3 audio card (already have)
-2X512MB Kyngston RAM
-SCSI adapter card
-Firewire adapter card
-CDRW
-floppy drive
-PSU (???)
...Zalman, Q-technologie, Evotec, Enermax???..should have only one fan, for less noise.
-CPU cooler (???)
...thanks

wow this is a peice of PCR history

just been going through the forums i found this to be the first on the support section

this is from 2002 as u can see just look at the specs!!!!:)

i find this interesting!

Reaction score
Reaction score
OMG, I've just realised how old this post was, I so wasted 5 min of my life :(

Ask a Question