What is the Most Durable Mobile External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me which Mobile External Hard Drive is the best for Durability?

We have had issues with them being damaged whilst travelling abroad and not being able to access the data.

I could also do with an sync function too, so that the data can be backed up?

Cheers
AJ

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
What size do you need ?

Some pen drives are darn tough with 64 GB storage.

The new Solid State Drives are the toughest but they ain't cheap. Your looking at about £300 for a 128 GB. Apparently you can biff em bang em an bounce em with no ill effects.

:nod:

Reaction score
The Gadget Show did an article about this recently, the external HDD was nearly bomb proof.
Will see if i can find the article on the web.

Reaction score
I have had a look at that already.. Funny you should say that.
Although, it was an external hard drive called Sentry Safe. There was also a flash drive call idisk bullet proof, but it is too small.

I am looking for at least 160gb, with Sync function that is lightweight, as the guy I am buying it for had a Philips one which weighed in at a shocking 70g, where all the rest are about 170-270g.

Reaction score
I've got a WD Passport 250gb, had it 5 months and it's just stopped working. Having to go to back to Amazon for a new one!! :-(

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Something to consider before buying

I have had the experience of a portable hard drive stopped working and after complete diagnosis I found out that the bus powered laptop did not provide enough current to the drive and since the drive was repeatedly connected to the usb port it stopped working. High voltage can surely fry electronics but low voltage can also be a cause of failure. The laptop belonged to my boss at that time.

This was a case of mismatch and if the technical sheet of both the products was consulted this mishap could have been avoided. The laptop in question was a Dell 12 inch and the drive was a Lacie Porsche design which I had reviewed favourably here. I had been using it since I bought it and is still in use and working great. I was using it with an IBM and never had any problem. My personal experience is that IBM laptops bus power was more than adequate to power any external bus powered drive. Dell's in my experience were always anaemic in that respect.

Above is based on my personal experience, YMMV.

Reaction score
I should be ok. My boss has an IBM Thinkpad.

I will check the specification though when I get in.

Thanks for the advice.

AJ

Ask a Question