what is the difference between Openoffice and Software 602's office suite?

S. Tonekham

I'm just wondering that i'm planning to install a freeware office suite
program that is alternative to Office 2K. I have a AMD K6-1 computer at
233MHz, 64 MB SDRAM, 4 GB Hard Drive, 2x write/2x re-write and 6x read CD
writer, No CD-ROM Drive (sorry, but planning to upgrade on a later date),
running Windows 98 (1st edition...) The reason that I'm installing a
freeware office suite is, to reduce as much disk space as possible. I'm just
wondering that, what is the difference between OpenOffice and Software 602's
office suite? Any idea? If you have anything to say about this, please do
not hesistate to reply in detail, wherever and whenever possible. Thank you
for your colaboration.

Simon

Signpoet

602 is considerably crippled. In particular, the merge feature is available
only with the 29.95 Pro Edition.
Open Office, in spite of what you may read, offers easy and complete access to
any dbf or other databases.
Conn9ie

Mikk

S. Tonekham said:
I'm just wondering that i'm planning to install a freeware office suite
program that is alternative to Office 2K. I have a AMD K6-1 computer at
233MHz, 64 MB SDRAM, 4 GB Hard Drive, 2x write/2x re-write and 6x read CD
writer, No CD-ROM Drive (sorry, but planning to upgrade on a later date),
running Windows 98 (1st edition...) The reason that I'm installing a
freeware office suite is, to reduce as much disk space as possible. I'm just
wondering that, what is the difference between OpenOffice and Software 602's
office suite? Any idea? If you have anything to say about this, please do
not hesistate to reply in detail, wherever and whenever possible. Thank you
for your colaboration.

A 4 Gig hard drive gives you plenty of room to install both, I've only got a
5 Gig partition with
XP on it, and I've got every bit of serious software I could ever need on
it, and over 2 Gig free.

You, of course won't be installing XP, so I don't see HD space as a problem.

I have Open Office on my Linux partition, but I don't particularly like it,
and use the Koffice
suite instead. I'd never heard of this 602 one till now, so I downloaded it
to check it out.

For a 16MB download, I think it's very impressive. If I hadn't got my
bundled 'Works' suite
I would chose it over Open Office for my windows partition.

Just downloaded the latest Open Office 1.1rc for windows, to see if it fares
better than it's
Linux counterpart - I'm not holding my breath

But like I said, you got plenty of room to install both, and see which one
you prefer

John H.

Hello, Signpoet!
You wrote on 19 Jul 2003 17:39:08 GMT:

S> 602 is considerably crippled. In particular, the merge feature is
S> available only with the 29.95 Pro Edition.
S> Open Office, in spite of what you may read, offers easy and complete
S> access to any dbf or other databases.
S> Conn9ie
Um access to DBF's where? I must have missed that.

I'm an EasyOffice man myself. 602, while nice, didn't have much of a
presentation designer, and that "album" thing I could never get the hang of.
To each his own I guess.

With best regards, John H.. E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Kilocycles

I'm just wondering that i'm planning to install a freeware office suite
program that is alternative to Office 2K. I have a AMD K6-1 computer at
233MHz, 64 MB SDRAM, 4 GB Hard Drive, 2x write/2x re-write and 6x read CD
writer, No CD-ROM Drive (sorry, but planning to upgrade on a later date),
running Windows 98 (1st edition...) The reason that I'm installing a
freeware office suite is, to reduce as much disk space as possible. I'm just
wondering that, what is the difference between OpenOffice and Software 602's
office suite? Any idea? If you have anything to say about this, please do
not hesistate to reply in detail, wherever and whenever possible. Thank you
for your colaboration.

Simon
I used 602 for about a year, but the interface was annoying to me, and
there were some compatibility issues. I now use Open Office on
Windows and Linux, and I have found the doc, spreadsheet, and
presentation apps to be highly compatible with files produced by
MicroSoft Office apps (which I don't use).

One annoying thing about OO is that it keeps hassling me when I try to
save an .xls file as an .xls rather than the OO file format.

Abiword is also a pretty good word processer that I use for some
particular features (Linux and MS versions).