What is Spyware? Now we know

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Following extensive research and debate, The Anti-Spyware Coalition (ASC), a collection of anti-spyware software companies, academics, and consumer groups, has finally come up with definitions of Spyware and other unwanted technologies. The basic definition of these is as follows:

Technologies deployed without appropriate user consent and/or implemented in ways that impair user control over:
  • Material changes that affect their user experience, privacy, or system security;
  • Use of their system resources, including what programs are installed on their computers; and/or
  • Collection, use, and distribution of their personal or other sensitive information.
Furthermore, the ASC have produced an extensive list of definitions detailing the exact problems caused by certain 'unwanted technologies', which contains information on tracking software, ad. display software, remote control software and dialing software to name but a few. The list is really worth a read for those who want to be more clued-up about spyware.

Read the full article and view the definitions at ASC. A further article can be found at The Register.

Attachments

• Spyware.jpg
    Spyware.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 217

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
HUH! ... I woudn't add my name to that list ... ;-)

Well I just fell about laughing my a.. err, head off ... the first name on the 'coalitions' list is Aluria ... you know, the same company that de-classified WhenU ... you know WhenU, they are a company dead set on 'spying' on you and allowing other 'spyware nasties' to install also.

Sorry, but they'll get NO credibility from me ... :rolleyes:

Anti-Spyware vendors are often approached by software publishers alleging that their programs have been unfairly flagged as "spyware."
Again, I don't care what YOU think the term 'spyware' means, even if you do state in your EUL that you WILL install "other" software ... it is still bloody spyware in my eyes.

What PC user here, reads the End User Licence, AND understands what you are agreeing to ... you really want to watch out for that 'get-out' clause. :rolleyes:

These 'observations' are my thoughts and not the consensus of PCReview.

Ask a Question