what is esent ?

i have been noticing something called esent loading a
database [sus 20 client data store] the last week or so
on my computer [xp pro-sp2] it started before i installed
sp2 . i noticed it under the application tab in computer
management , event viewer . so far i have found out that
its something to do with extensible storage engine . but
nothing on sus 20 . does anyone know what this is ?

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

i have been noticing something called esent loading a
database [sus 20 client data store] the last week or so
on my computer [xp pro-sp2] it started before i installed
sp2 . i noticed it under the application tab in computer
management , event viewer . so far i have found out that
its something to do with extensible storage engine . but
nothing on sus 20 . does anyone know what this is ?
Hi

They come from the WU v5 client, and they are information entries
only (they does not indicate that you have a problem).

From a recent post about this issue:

From: "David Kays [MSFT]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: ESENT Messages
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:01:45 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

<quote>
This is a known issue with the WU v5 client. It has to do with how the
client agent interacts with the Jet database engine. This is something
we'll consider fixing in a future version of the WU client. I'm not aware
of work arounds for this issue, sorry.
</quote>

If you really, really want to get rid of those messages, you
can disable the "Automatic Services" service (through e.g.
Start/Run --> services.msc).

Note that if you do this, even the Windows Update Web page will
not work anymore (for manual scan/install). If you later on want
to use the Windows Update Web page, you can of course temporary
set the service to Automatic again and start the service before
you go to the Web page.

i have been noticing something called esent loading a
database [sus 20 client data store] the last week or so
on my computer [xp pro-sp2] it started before i installed
sp2 . i noticed it under the application tab in computer
management , event viewer . so far i have found out that
its something to do with extensible storage engine . but
nothing on sus 20 . does anyone know what this is ?
.
thank you both