What If a Table has a Million Rows?!

Mike

Hi Everyone,

You know Excel has a limited capacity on the number of rows, around
65000

Does it mean Excel can't handle bigger data files? What if a table or
datafile has a million or so rows?

Is there a way to go around this?

Thanks,
Mike

Cimjet

Hi Mike
You will need to upgrade to XL2007.
2007 has over a million rows and 16384 columns per sheet.
You can't increase the amount of rows or column in XL2003 or older.
HTH
John

Mike

Hi Mike
You will need to upgrade to XL2007.
2007 has over a million rows and 16384 columns per sheet.
You can't increase the amount of rows or column in XL2003 or older.
HTH
John

You know exactly how many rows in Excel 2007 is the limit? How about
Excel 2010?

Thanks

Cimjet

Hi Mike
This is a link to XL07, I don't know exactly the specification for 2010 but for
rows and columns,
It should be the same, not less.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-specifications-and-limits-HP010073849.aspxFrom that link, you may find the information for 2010.RegardsJohn"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message Dec 10, 9:50 am, "Cimjet" <[email protected]> wrote:> Hi Mike> You will need to upgrade to XL2007.> 2007 has over a million rows and 16384 columns per sheet.> You can't increase the amount of rows or column in XL2003 or older.> HTH> John>> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> > Hi Everyone,>> > You know Excel has a limited capacity on the number of rows, around> > 65000>> > Does it mean Excel can't handle bigger data files? What if a table or> > datafile has a million or so rows?>> > Is there a way to go around this?>> > Thanks,> > Mike- Hide quoted text ->> - Show quoted text -You know exactly how many rows in Excel 2007 is the limit? How aboutExcel 2010?Thanks

DCG-jaeson

Hi Mike,

You have a enormous database huh?! LOL! If Excel 2010 or maybe
Excel2000 only can't hold your Database, I suggest you to break it and
use another Worksheets, then make a summary.

Hope this idea will help!
~jaeson

My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

Hi Mike,

You have a enormous database huh?! LOL! If Excel 2010 or maybe
Excel2000 only can't hold your Database, I suggest you to break it and
use another Worksheets, then make a summary.

Hope this idea will help!
~jaeson

Let's see... 1 million lines divided by 65,535...

16 worksheets per 1 million rows.

A good example can be DL'd here: (A 2k3 DVD database)(ALL of them).

http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/dvdlist.htm

Bob Phillips

Why not store it in Access and query it from Excel using ADO?

HTH

Bob

"Mike" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

You know Excel has a limited capacity on the number of rows, around
65000

Does it mean Excel can't handle bigger data files? What if a table or
datafile has a million or so rows?

Is there a way to go around this?

Thanks,
Mike

Greg Glynn

Bob's right. If you've got a million rows of data, you don't need a
spreadsheet, you need a database.

AllInTheChi

Bob's right. If you've got a million rows of data, you don't need a
spreadsheet, you need a database.

Access is slow as a dog on my 48MB mere 170k row DVD database IN EXCEL.

Excel is an order of magnitude faster on apparently ANY flat file
database.

No need to break it up into tables either since the data is ALL fixed
unless a disc is discontinued. Whoopie doo.

Access is either a dog in such a case, or there was some lame, hidden
optimizer for it I had yet to 'run'.

ANY lookup in excel on it was as snappy as lightning.

Not so with ANY lookup from within Access.

Bill Oertell

2^20

Hi Mike
You will need to upgrade to XL2007.
2007 has over a million rows and 16384 columns per sheet.
You can't increase the amount of rows or column in XL2003 or older.
HTH
John

You know exactly how many rows in Excel 2007 is the limit? How about
Excel 2010?

Thanks

OutsideObserver

2^20