What do you do?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Though it would be interesting to find out more about what people do! I remember a thread like this on the old forums, and it was really interesting!

I'll get the ball rolling with a little intro!

I'm from Northumberland in one of the larger towns, but now in Manchester doing an Aerospace Engineering degree - which is lots of fun :D

I'm an avid Newcastle united supporter - but I don't have a season ticket... WAY too expensive! As you can tell my main interests are computing and electronics - anything where I can build something!

Reaction score
I'll bite, so to speak. Arsenal rulz, well not quite this year. And they have so many Frenchies on their team, don't you maddogs play football anymore? :)

I work in LA as an Electronic Tech in a major recording studio. I work on everything from current computers to vintage '50's valve equipment.

Hope things are well for you Ian.

Reaction score
I manage the research arm of a central policy and communications unit in a local authority (in England)...the Unit covers everything from policy research and consultation. marketing, media and communications...but unlike most Councils, we also generate income by operating on a consultancy basis to other public sector bodies.

I was on (what i understand to have been) the first A-level computer course in the country many years ago, using a remote terminal (and no monitor) linked to a (I think) a DEC20 PDP 11 based in Trent Polytechnic in Nottingham. I learned all about Boolean algebra and logic, building black boxes and programming in Basic and Machine Code. When i went to work for the Courtaulds Group, i was put in an office for two weeks with one of the first micro-processors (as stand alone desk-top computers were called then) and asked to find out how it worked and what it could do. In two weeks I had a spreadsheet operating that could consolidate the accounts from their 11 main divisions at the press of a button...the chief accountant said: ''Oh, very nice, but we have a team of clerks to do that...you can leave that now, we have another job for you''. I then left to find people less boring and a little more 'visionary' than accountants...not difficult!

Now, my interest in computers is primarily geared to making my PC the fastest and coolest running games 'chine I can so that i can get into the very latest and run their graphics at max, without having to overclock.
:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm now what did I say last time?

A Dundonian Scot living in Wales, Cardiff. Retired (due to ill health) from Royal Air Force airframe mechanic.

I have a workshop in Splott (yes, there is such a place, ask Shirley Bassey :brow: ) where I "tinker" about with computers.

No education was achieved in my Sckool days (sic) so I went back to college as a "mature student" and got a couple 'o bits of fancy paper. Well they look pretty on the wall. ;)

Bean messing with computers for over 20 years, still learning ... Hmmm, time flies.

Mucks.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What do I do?

As little as possible :D

Have done many things, but currently working for myself, repairing, installing and upgrading sound systems, mostly within London schools.

Mostly 100 volt line systems, tannoy networks, carrying the class change 'pips' signal, microphone announcements and sometimes the Fire Alarm.

Also sometimes look after their Hall sound systems; CCTV; Door Entry Systems and Stage Lighting.

Had my own limited company for six years with two other guys but overnight:

a) A large management training college had their media budget cut.
b) The fella at Tower Hamlets Council who gave us our work had a nervous breakdown, work went elsewhere, despite our protestations.
c) Islington Council laid off staff and contracted out to large corporations on tender.
d) September the 11th happened. London Theatres lost 60% of their audiences overnight as Americans wouldn't fly to London in the immediate aftermath, so The Really Useful Theatre Company, as they're called, cut back on their budget and that included us.

All that in a fortnight and that was the end of us. Sold our business premises and broke even.

It was an experience :D

One thing I learnt, it really is who you know and not what you know.

So it goes :crazy:

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that Flops, have you ever thought about acting. In the time I've known you, I think that you could pull it off. If you don't like that then think about writing. You have a creative side, and if you're on the dole, then why not pursue it.

Good luck, anyway.

And Mucks, PLEASE smash all those computers with hammers, and live the rest of your life in peace. :)

Ask a Question