Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB Hard Drive ......A7N8X-E Dx

Wildbill

My 40Gig Hard Drive has filled up fast taking pictures of my new
granddaughter, so I ordered a Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB
Hard Drive . Got a good deal on it from TigerDirect $89.99 after
rebate! Or was it a good deal???

After readind how to install literature on the web, sounds like a
nightmare.........ATA,SATA,EIDE,IDE,RAID.......Formatting,
Partetioning......... Now I am told that Windows won't recognise a
drive larger than 132G. I am just an uneducated country boy, and
really don't understand all of this. I think I will just send it back
when it arrives! Not such a good deal after all!
A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Home SP1
3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture

Beemer Biker

My 40Gig Hard Drive has filled up fast taking pictures of my new
granddaughter, so I ordered a Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB
Hard Drive . Got a good deal on it from TigerDirect $89.99 after
rebate! Or was it a good deal???

You might catch a weekly sale at office max , best buy or compusa and
get one for $59, but then again, at 7:01am on sunday morning, when you
ask for one, the sales agent may point to a buyer just leaving and say
"see that guy that came in just before you?, he got the last one". I
have got both wd and maxtor 160gb, the wd is better. The maxtor was
dead on install and even the rebate came in before I got the repaired
unit back from them. If one is instock and shipping is inexpensive then
it will beat a cheaper disk that has sales tax, especially if they only
had bait quantities.
After readind how to install literature on the web, sounds like a
nightmare.........ATA,SATA,EIDE,IDE,RAID.......Formatting,
Partetioning......... Now I am told that Windows won't recognise a
drive larger than 132G. I am just an uneducated country boy, and

that is always a problerm, even XP, i used Partition Expert from acronis
but I think that WD supplies software to do that on an intall CD. Easy
Migrate, also from Acronis will work, but Partition Expert is more
useful. XP, SP1 uses the 48 bit addressing as i recall, but you still
got to partition it.
really don't understand all of this. I think I will just send it back
when it arrives! Not such a good deal after all!
A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Home SP1
3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture

My son hase got almost exact same system, but 5600 board and oclock to
3200. He is getting that kmixer BSOD error on UT 2003 you play that
game or see that problem?

Beemer Biker (e-mail address removed)
Seti WU 40.6K Seti Years 41 Ask about my 99'R1100RT
New BoneHer V-Twin...
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jstateson/_images/hisherbike.jpg

Fish Taco Joe Schmuckatelli

Now I am told that Windows won't recognise a
drive larger than 132G. I am just an uneducated country boy, and
really don't understand all of this. I think I will just send it back
when it arrives! Not such a good deal after all!

XP will partition it just fine. You just need to add the registry
entry that enables 48-bit addressing.

(quoting from another message I read somewhere)

--------

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters

On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
value:

Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1

Quit Registry Editor.

------------

-------------------------------------------------+-------------------
"One World; One Web; One Program." -- Microsoft | OS/2 Warp
| Solid like Linux
"Ein Volk; Ein Reich; Ein Führer." -- Hitler | Easy like Windows
-------------------------------------------------+-------------------

Use your bandwidth. If you don't, it'll go stale.

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box
crashed... oh, wait. He does.

I Am Not A Number... Um...except for my TCP/IP address.

If you can read this .sig, you're too damn close.

Save a cow. Eat a vegetarian!

Dark Days in Human History: Hiroshima'45 Chernobyl'86 Windows'95

Proud member of the Signature is Longer Than The Post Association

Stephan Grossklass

Wildbill said:
My 40Gig Hard Drive has filled up fast taking pictures of my new
granddaughter, so I ordered a Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB
Hard Drive . Got a good deal on it from TigerDirect $89.99 after
rebate! Or was it a good deal???

After readind how to install literature on the web, sounds like a
nightmare.........ATA,SATA,EIDE,IDE,RAID.......Formatting,
Partetioning......... Now I am told that Windows won't recognise a
drive larger than 132G. I am just an uneducated country boy, and
really don't understand all of this. I think I will just send it back
when it arrives! Not such a good deal after all!
A7N8X-E Deluxe
Windows XP Home SP1

In this configuration there shouldn't be any trouble with the 128 gig
capacity barrier, so the drive should show up with 149 gigs in XP's Disk
Management console. Create a primary partition spanning the whole
capacity and format it as NTFS, that should be it.

Before doing all this, however, you'll need to install the drive into
the computer. The procedure is roughly the following, assuming the
existing hard drive is installed at the end of an IDE cable which
provides a second connector:

0) Power down system, switch off PSU or remove power cord.
1) Open case.
2) Look out for a free 3.5" drive bay (not directly underneath or
above the existing hard drive to avoid unhealthy temperatures, but
also in reach when it comes to the ever too short IDE cable - if
there is no such place, you may have to use an IDE port of the
onboard RAID controller - which hopefully also works as an ordinary
IDE controller - along with a second IDE cable)
and 5.25" power plug.
3) If present drive is a WD, jumper this as Master, else skip to 4.
4) Jumper new drive as Slave.
5) Mount the drive (if you're lucky, screws are provided) and connect
it to power and IDE cable (it's not bad if you have to swap the two
IDE connectors between the drives). It should not be possible to
attach either one the wrong way round (though exceptions involving
excessive force have been noted...)
6) Double check installation. Reapply power, turn on system (if you
get a cloud of smoke, something apparently went wrong, but let's
assume everything works for now...). The new drive should now be
detected by either the main BIOS or the RAID controller's BIOS,
depending on where it's connected. Close case.
7) Skip to my first paragraph. If necessary, feed Windows' Help with
"partitioning" or somesuch.
8) Think about a good backup concept for your data. Hard drives as
mechanical parts are particularly prone to failure, and you
certainly don't want to learn that the hard way.

HTH,
Stephan

Wildbill

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:28:09 -0400, Wildbill <> wrote: Thanks to
everyone for the advice, The drive shipped today, so I will let you
know in a couple of days if it works!

Thanks again for your helo!
[...]

David H. Lipman

Please read the following URLs....

48bit LBA in Win2K -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

48bit LBA in WinXP -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

Dave

<Wildbill> wrote in message | My 40Gig Hard Drive has filled up fast taking pictures of my new
| granddaughter, so I ordered a Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB
| Hard Drive . Got a good deal on it from TigerDirect $89.99 after
| rebate! Or was it a good deal???
|
| After readind how to install literature on the web, sounds like a
| nightmare.........ATA,SATA,EIDE,IDE,RAID.......Formatting,
| Partetioning......... Now I am told that Windows won't recognise a
| drive larger than 132G. I am just an uneducated country boy, and
| really don't understand all of this. I think I will just send it back
| when it arrives! Not such a good deal after all!
| A7N8X-E Deluxe
| AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
| 2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
| Geforce FX 5200 128MB
| Windows XP Home SP1
| 3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture

Anon

I have a P4C800-E Deluxe with 4 hard drives. Two of them are large drives
(48-bit addressing), a 160GB Maxtor and a 250GB Hitachi. I never heard of
this regedit, and I checked my registry for this entry. It is NOT there.
Both my drives work fine, recognized in BIOS and Windows XP.

If this registry is required, why does my drives work without it?

Al

David H. Lipman

You have WinXP SP1 installed.
Please read the following URL -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

Dave

| I have a P4C800-E Deluxe with 4 hard drives. Two of them are large drives
| (48-bit addressing), a 160GB Maxtor and a 250GB Hitachi. I never heard of
| this regedit, and I checked my registry for this entry. It is NOT there.
| Both my drives work fine, recognized in BIOS and Windows XP.
|
| If this registry is required, why does my drives work without it?
|
| Al
|
| in message | >
| > XP will partition it just fine. You just need to add the registry
| > entry that enables 48-bit addressing.
| >
| > (quoting from another message I read somewhere)
| >
| > --------
| >
| > To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:
| >
| > Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
| > Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
| >
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
| >
| > On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
| > value:
| >
| > Value name: EnableBigLba
| > Data type: REG_DWORD
| > Value data: 0x1
| >
| > Quit Registry Editor.
| >
| > ------------
| >

| > -------------------------------------------------+-------------------
| > "One World; One Web; One Program." -- Microsoft | OS/2 Warp
| > | Solid like Linux
| > "Ein Volk; Ein Reich; Ein Führer." -- Hitler | Easy like Windows
| > -------------------------------------------------+-------------------
| >
| > Use your bandwidth. If you don't, it'll go stale.
| >
| > If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box
| > crashed... oh, wait. He does.
| >
| > I Am Not A Number... Um...except for my TCP/IP address.
| >
| > If you can read this .sig, you're too damn close.
| >
| > Save a cow. Eat a vegetarian!
| >
| > Dark Days in Human History: Hiroshima'45 Chernobyl'86 Windows'95
| >
| > Proud member of the Signature is Longer Than The Post Association
| >
| > --------------------------------------------------------------------

Fish Taco Joe Schmuckatelli

I have a P4C800-E Deluxe with 4 hard drives. Two of them are large drives
(48-bit addressing), a 160GB Maxtor and a 250GB Hitachi. I never heard of
this regedit, and I checked my registry for this entry. It is NOT there.
Both my drives work fine, recognized in BIOS and Windows XP.

If this registry is required, why does my drives work without it?

"Operating systems that do not have 48-bit LBA support enabled by
default (such as Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium
Edition (Me), or Windows 2000) that are installed on a partition that
spans beyond the 28-bit LBA boundary (137GB) will experience data
corruption or data loss."

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

(And yes, I know, the article applies to Win2K.)

But again, David is correct; 48-bit LBA is automagically enabled with
SP1.

-------------------------------------------------+-------------------
"One World; One Web; One Program." -- Microsoft | OS/2 Warp
| Solid like Linux
"Ein Volk; Ein Reich; Ein Führer." -- Hitler | Easy like Windows
-------------------------------------------------+-------------------

Use your bandwidth. If you don't, it'll go stale.

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box
crashed... oh, wait. He does.

I Am Not A Number... Um...except for my TCP/IP address.

If you can read this .sig, you're too damn close.

Save a cow. Eat a vegetarian!

Dark Days in Human History: Hiroshima'45 Chernobyl'86 Windows'95

Proud member of the Signature is Longer Than The Post Association

Beemer Biker

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:28:09 -0400, Wildbill <> wrote: Thanks to
everyone for the advice, The drive shipped today, so I will let you
know in a couple of days if it works!

you will find the drive will be limited to 128 even with XP, SP1
unless it comes with partitioning software. As I am writing this, I am
currently running Partition Expert to increase a 128->160 on another
computer, a late model dell 8300 that we put a 160 into. The only way
you can run into trouble is if the disk drive is serial ata, then you
got to load a driver. I assume you did not get the serial ata version.
If so, it is a whole different game. If you are upgradeing that
computer to a 160, be aware you will have to get a new serial# from
micro$osft, possiblyl haveing to phone in and exchange serial# info to
activate it. Suggest you just add it as a 2nd hard drive.

end user

you will find the drive will be limited to 128 even with XP, SP1
unless it comes with partitioning software. As I am writing this, I am
currently running Partition Expert to increase a 128->160 on another
computer, a late model dell 8300 that we put a 160 into. The only way
you can run into trouble is if the disk drive is serial ata, then you
got to load a driver. I assume you did not get the serial ata version.
If so, it is a whole different game. If you are upgradeing that
computer to a 160, be aware you will have to get a new serial# from
micro$osft, possiblyl haveing to phone in and exchange serial# info to
activate it. Suggest you just add it as a 2nd hard drive.

I disagree with the driver part for a sata 160 gig drive. I am running
a WD sata 160gig on a p4p800dlx without a driver & it works fine.
Could be a bios limitation for some MB's

I agree with the partitioning part as XPsp1 did not recognise the
full drive, I partitioned it into 3 partitions for personal reasons.

Locust

Jbob

I disagree with the driver part for a sata 160 gig drive. I am running
a WD sata 160gig on a p4p800dlx without a driver & it works fine.
Could be a bios limitation for some MB's

I agree with the partitioning part as XPsp1 did not recognise the
full drive, I partitioned it into 3 partitions for personal reasons.

Locust
I disagree with the partitioning part myself. I built a new system for my
son from scratch with a A7N8X Deluxe using a WD SATA 200 GB drive. The OS
is XP pro with SP1 slipstreamed. I formatted with one partition and the
computer recognizes the full drive.

Jbob

One thing I noticed for Win2K is that even after applying SP3 or later you
still have to edit the Registry to get 48 bit LBA to work. The way I read
it is that even if using a slipstreamed install with SP3 or SP4 you cannot
install on a single partition of more than 136 mb. It works with a
slipstreamed XP/SP1 copy though.

Anon

I also disagree, I have the Hitachi 250GB and the Maxtor 160GB both
formatted with one partition. Windows XP recognizes both at their full size.

Ben Pope

Jbob said:
One thing I noticed for Win2K is that even after applying SP3 or later you
still have to edit the Registry to get 48 bit LBA to work. The way I read
it is that even if using a slipstreamed install with SP3 or SP4 you cannot
install on a single partition of more than 136 mb. It works with a
slipstreamed XP/SP1 copy though.

I bet you can do it. I haven;t read too much into the details of custom
installs, the most I've done is slipstream some install media.

I know that you can script driver installs, and I suspect you can add
settings to the registry - anybody know how?

Ben

Beemer Biker

end user said:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:16:51 -0500, "Beemer Biker"

IANE

I disagree with the driver part for a sata 160 gig drive. I am running
a WD sata 160gig on a p4p800dlx without a driver & it works fine.
Could be a bios limitation for some MB's

I and two friends bought the same a7n8x-dlx. One had a serial ata. I
purchased an inexpensive 160gb EIDE and bought a $20 serial ata adapter
(later). The guy with the serial ata had problems getting the OS to
install, at some point in the boot up he was supposed to stick in the
asus cd with the driver for the serial ata. I think he eventually got
it to work. I installed original XP on the EIDE and later used the
serial adapter to free up that ide slot. Later, my son decided to
reinstall xp and it failed. He took off the adapter then installed then
put it back on.
I agree with the partitioning part as XPsp1 did not recognise the
full drive, I partitioned it into 3 partitions for personal reasons.

Locust

On that Dell 8300 i was messing with, the bios states "160 Maxtor" but
the XP with SP1 sees 128gb. Acronis partition expert shows it as 124.3 +
3.7 unused. However, 128*1024*1024 is only 134217728 not 160gb so it
does not see the full amount and even acronis has problems. I will have
to look into it later as I didnt have that problem on the asus.

Ben Pope

Beemer said:
I and two friends bought the same a7n8x-dlx. One had a serial ata. I
purchased an inexpensive 160gb EIDE and bought a $20 serial ata adapter
(later). The guy with the serial ata had problems getting the OS to
install, at some point in the boot up he was supposed to stick in the
asus cd with the driver for the serial ata.

Nope - he was supposed to put the SATA Controller driver on a floppy and hit
F6 during install (Assuming Win2K or XP)

Ben

Arnie Berger

Wildbill said:
My 40Gig Hard Drive has filled up fast taking pictures of my new
granddaughter, so I ordered a Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB
Hard Drive . Got a good deal on it from TigerDirect $89.99 after
rebate! Or was it a good deal???

After readind how to install literature on the web, sounds like a
nightmare.........ATA,SATA,EIDE,IDE,RAID.......Formatting,
Partetioning......... Now I am told that Windows won't recognise a
drive larger than 132G. I am just an uneducated country boy, and
really don't understand all of this. I think I will just send it back
when it arrives! Not such a good deal after all!
A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Home SP1
3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture

I wouldn't send it back. Just partition it as two drives and you're
good to go. I'm not sure about WD, but Maxtor includes software that
takes you step by step through the process. If you don't intend to
move your operating system and existing programs over to the new
drive, then it is really simple. Your motherboard is new enough that
it will recognize a drive of that size, so the only thing that you'll
need to do is install it with WD's software and partition it as two
drives. However, if XP Home edition recognizes NTFS as the file
system, then you have no restriction on the size of a partition, so
you can leave it as 160GB.

arnie

Ed

My 40Gig Hard Drive has filled up fast taking pictures of my new
granddaughter, so I ordered a Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB 160GB
Hard Drive . Got a good deal on it from TigerDirect $89.99 after
rebate! Or was it a good deal???

After readind how to install literature on the web, sounds like a
nightmare.........ATA,SATA,EIDE,IDE,RAID.......Formatting,
Partetioning......... Now I am told that Windows won't recognise a
drive larger than 132G. I am just an uneducated country boy, and
really don't understand all of this. I think I will just send it back
when it arrives! Not such a good deal after all!
A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Home SP1
3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture

I paid $103 (after tax) for a 160GB Seagate (8MB PATA IDE) drive here 2 weeks ago. Works just fine in my A7N8X (non-dlx)
under WindowsXP Pro, have it as slave to a WD 120GB.

The easiest way to install the IDE PATA drives is to probably just use the disk utility that comes with the drive or
download it from drive makers site if it's an OEM drive.

My Seagate has a utility to change a setting in the Windows registry to support big drives, but I think this is actually
only needed if you have partitions over 132GB.

For my use, I just use FDISK (WinME - www.bootdisk.com), made new drive 100% Extended DOS, then made five logical
partitions evenly sized (20% each = 5 x 29.7GB formatted).

Ed