Welcome to Wintertime

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've no idea whether it's now officially winter or not but the clocks went back and now it's that dark time of year.

We can look forward to snow, freezing rain, train cancellations because of the weather, newspaper headlines declaring it's been 'the coldest day since 1831' and of course that consumer-orgy-fest celebrated en masse in the UK by eating and drinking more than we should and spending money on worthless trinkets.

Oh joy, oh rapture :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've no idea whether it's now officially winter or not but the clocks went back and now it's that dark time of year.

The latest idea for winter is actually the very old idea of winter, December, January and February. The ancients decided that, as these were the three coldest months, then this should be winter time. Seems very logical to me. :)

I grew up, probably like most of you lot, being told that winter ran from Dec21 till March 21, all to do with positions of the sun etc.

I prefer the latest (and very old) way of things. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just call me Mr Misery - I read books all year round, I don't need Jack Frost as a literary companion; Ditto games; I think I do have a nice warm home but heating costs money, the sun in the sky does not; Frosty scenery? Ok, I'll concede that one but no motor anymore so my landscapes are limited. Mind you that big park is on me door step and the likes of Hampstead and Richmond are mere tube rides away, maybe I should venture further afield. And winter warming meals? I wish, not moaning or whingeing but since 'da treatment' consuming food has become a chore rather than a pleasure :( Could be worse though... ;)

I was brung up not being told when winter was at all and had I asked me Dad he probably would have replied 'When it's cold'. But yes, December, January and February makes sense and ticks all the right boxes for me.

My first real home was a council flat and the only room that had heating was the living room, a gas fire. Our bedroom was like a fridge. Where I am now has wall to wall heat. Do I know what I prefer? Oh yes :D

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
I really don't look forward to the freezing cold, but snow looks neat when it first falls... Before there are six feet of it on top of your car.

Do you guys enjoy any winter sports like skiing or ice skating or the sort? A lot of people here in Finland are into it but I'd rather keep myself indoors with a cat or a game and a hot drink.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
bring back 1962/63 ... snow. snow, blizzard and more snow.

It'll make a nice change. :)

Reaction score
I remember 1962/63 very well I was on Dartmor digging out the roads to Prince Town ( Dartmor Prison) as a they had run out of food and couldn't get supplies to them and we were wearing Arctic Combat gear as it was so cold.:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's a pic from the winter of '63, me and my Pa, outside that council flat I mentioned earlier

Winter '63 800.jpg

Reaction score
UK set for HEAVIEST SNOWFALL in years: Long-range forecast warns of Winter 2016 BIG FREEZE
BRITAIN is facing the heaviest snowfalls in years this winter as the country's first icy blast arrives in SIX WEEKS unleashing FOUR MONTHS of heavy snow and sub-zero temperatures, forecasters have announced.
By Nathan Rao
PUBLISHED: 01:52, Thu, Sep 29, 2016 | UPDATED: 13:45, Thu, Sep 29, 2016

:eek:But it is only the doom & gloom the Daily Express:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reaction score
Yep they dust that report off every year, and when it does happen they are then able we told you so, conveniently forgetting the years when they got it wrong:lol:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
This winter I shall be indulging in all things HYGGE :nod:

Hygge is as Danish as pork roast and cold beer and it goes far in illuminating the Danish soul. In essence, hygge means creating a nice, warm atmosphere and enjoying the good things in life with good people around you. The warm glow of candlelight is hygge. Friends and family – that’s hygge too. And let’s not forget the eating and drinking – preferably sitting around the table for hours on end discussing the big and small things in life. Perhaps the Danish idea of hygge explains why Danes are often considered the happiest people in the world?

:thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I really don't look forward to the freezing cold, but snow looks neat when it first falls... Before there are six feet of it on top of your car.

Do you guys enjoy any winter sports like skiing or ice skating or the sort? A lot of people here in Finland are into it but I'd rather keep myself indoors with a cat or a game and a hot drink.

Not any more but I used to do Snow and Ice climbing along with scampering around on the top of the British mountains in the dead of winter just for the crack.

:cool:
A good ending to the above was the stop of at the local pub for Woods 100% Rum and a glass of hot mulled wine, followed by beers and bifftas. :cheers:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

It just doesn't get cold enough for that unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately!?), unless you live in some parts of Scotland - I've been skiing once in England, up in Northumberland near where I grew up.

Anything below -5C and the country grinds to a halt :lol:.

Reaction score
No I hate with a vengeance the cold weather, couldn't stand the snow warfare course I had to do in Norway when I was in HMRM. The temperate climate here suits me fine thanks very much.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It just doesn't get cold enough for that unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately!?), unless you live in some parts of Scotland - I've been skiing once in England, up in Northumberland near where I grew up.

Anything below -5C and the country grinds to a halt :lol:.

Hmm not quite true.

You can ski and ice skate in the Lakes in winter. Though to be fair the winters have been getting milder over the last couple of decades so those sports have only been possible infrequently.

:cool: