Web Connectivity with Dell Inspiron 9100

R

Rick Dafler

The web connectivity with this machine has steadily gotten worse Suddenly it's gone completely.

I have a small home network,... 4 machines, two connect through a Wi-Fi access port. Part port and two other machines, one the Inspiron 9100 connect to an old Linksys hub in to a 2WireModem and off to SBC for DSL. All that works fine and all the machines can go on the internet except for the Inspiron.

The Inspiron (laptop) can use the local network fine, and ipconfig /all looks the same for the laptop as it does for the other machines with the exception of the adapter and the actual address, of course. The laptop will ping any machine on the network and will ping at least one remote server by address but not by resolved name, which would indicate DNS problems. Also ipconfig /flushdns 'fails in execution' on the laptop; rebooting doesn't help.

Also weird, to me anyway, is that pcAnywhere will work on the laptop. Mail (Outlook Express) and browser (IE 6), of course, go nowhere.

I've tried adding a NegativeCacheTime of 0 to the registry - no joy. I tried a complete reset with the netsh commands - no joy.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

R

Rick Dafler

Fixed it. It was the Winsock, though a repair on the DNS helped, I'm sure.
The web connectivity with this machine has steadily gotten worse Suddenly it's gone completely.

I have a small home network,... 4 machines, two connect through a Wi-Fi access port. Part port and two other machines, one the Inspiron 9100 connect to an old Linksys hub in to a 2WireModem and off to SBC for DSL. All that works fine and all the machines can go on the internet except for the Inspiron.

The Inspiron (laptop) can use the local network fine, and ipconfig /all looks the same for the laptop as it does for the other machines with the exception of the adapter and the actual address, of course. The laptop will ping any machine on the network and will ping at least one remote server by address but not by resolved name, which would indicate DNS problems. Also ipconfig /flushdns 'fails in execution' on the laptop; rebooting doesn't help.

Also weird, to me anyway, is that pcAnywhere will work on the laptop. Mail (Outlook Express) and browser (IE 6), of course, go nowhere.

I've tried adding a NegativeCacheTime of 0 to the registry - no joy. I tried a complete reset with the netsh commands - no joy.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

Ask a Question